The Adoption Program at the Cleveland Clinic Children's offers comprehensive pediatric care for children adopted here in the United States and abroad.
Our program, based in our Department of General Pediatrics, offers a wide range of specialized services, including:
- Pre-adoption and post-adoption evaluations
- Ongoing primary care
- Multidisciplinary team evaluations of physical, developmental, behavioral and educational needs
- Assistance with school-related academic and behavioral issues
- Referrals to medical subspecialists when needed
Whether you live in Northeast Ohio or elsewhere, our team stands ready to help you with evaluations and consultations.
We see adopted pediatric patients in the Crile Building on the 12th floor (A120) at Cleveland Clinic's Main Campus.
Ongoing Primary Care
Dr. Elaine Schulte is available to provide ongoing primary carefor your child, including:
- Well-child and urgent care
- Urgent calls to medical staff 24 hours a day, seven days a week
Most insurance companies cover
post-adoption evaluation and primary care. Check with your insurer.
Multidisciplinary Team Evaluation
If needed, your child may be evaluated by a multidisciplinary adoption team led by Dr. Schulte. The team includes:
- Behavioral medicine expert
- Developmental pediatrician
- Educational consultant
- Physical and occupational therapists
- Speech pathologist
Our adoption team will provide ongoing evaluation of your child's development. We will be available as your child matures throughout school to ensure that any special learning needs are fully supported.
Referrals to Pediatric Medical Specialists
- Cleveland Clinic’s Children’s offers care in all pediatric medical subspecialties. Dr. Schulte is part of the Cleft
Lip and Palate Clinic that supports children with these very common birth defects.
- When adopted patients have major medical needs, our team refers children for additional assessments and care by specialists in Pediatric Infectious Disease, Pediatric Endocrinology, Pediatric
Cardiology and other fields.
MyConsult Pre-Adoption Consultations
We believe that a pre-adoption consultation
is the best way to prepare parents for the unique challenges and joys of
adoption. This is true for both domestic
and international adoptions. In international adoptions, transitioning
a child from orphanage or foster care in another country requires added
sensitivity, insight and preparation.
Our Full Pre-Adoption Consultations include:
- Immediate review of your child's medical records, photos and videotapes
- Interpretation of medical terminology
- Assessing growth
- Outlining developmental and behavioral expectations
- A plan to address medical, developmental, feeding, sleeping and other issues beforehand, especially if travel is required
- Phone consultation and support during the adoption process, even during trips abroad
- Information about adoption resources
Pre-adoption consultations begin with an online request to Cleveland Clinic MyConsult. MyConsult allows you to contact Dr. Schulte from the comfort and privacy of your home, and streamlines the evaluation of your child's health records, photos and videotapes.
Other MyConsult Pre-Adoption Services
Besides comprehensive pre-adoption consultations, services available through Cleveland Clinic MyConsult include:
- General adoption phone inquiries
- Basic, one-time medical record reviews
For a list of Cleveland Clinic MyConsult adoption consultation services and fees, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, visit MyConsult Adoption, or call 216.444.3223 or 800.223.2273, ext. 43223.
Dr. Elaine Schulte, Director of the International Adoption Program, will examine and evaluate your child within seven to 10 days of your arrival home. She will conduct the screening recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics, and provide all needed immunizations.
Post-adoption services include:
- A thorough physical examination, and a history review (to the extent available)
- Review of any new medical information
- Review of immunization status
- Assessment of infectious disease risks
- Assessment of developmental status
- Diagnostic tests or referrals to specialists, if needed
"Let us help you establish the lifelong parent-child bond you’ve been wishing for, and experience the tremendous joy that an adopted child can bring to a family."
Information & Appointments
- Call: 216.445.3033 or 800.CCF.CARE, ext. 53033
- Hours: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays