We are devoted exclusively to the management of surgical problems in infants and children at Cleveland Clinic Children’s.
Our staff is specially certified by the American Board of Surgery to treat a variety of pediatric conditions occurring throughout infancy and childhood.
Our pediatric surgeons also work within the renowned Cleveland Clinic Fetal Care Center, a multidisciplinary clinic available for developmental issues, neurological and congenital anomalies found before birth.
We see children and adolescent patients at Cleveland Clinic’s main campus, Avon, Fairview, Hillcrest, and Twinsburg.
Pediatric General Surgery Details
- Newly constructed state of the art pediatric operating rooms will transform four of the five non-cardiac rooms to advanced minimally-invasive suites.
- These rooms will have advanced high-definition imaging technology, advanced image-capture and routing capabilities, and plumbed gases in an ergonomically efficient environment. For the first time, advanced surgical technology will be available for use by all surgeons at any time, accelerating the application of these tools to neonates, and stimulating innovative uses for complex surgical problems.
- Among the numerous diseases and conditions our pediatric team treats, Children's Hospital is a nationally renowned resource for the management of pediatric chest wall deformities.
- Pectus Excavatum & Carinatum Treatments
- The hospital is a recognized Center of Excellence in the treatment of Pectus Excavatum
- Our pediatric surgeons are leaders in employing the Nuss Procedure, the minimally invasive repair of Pectus Excavatum. This procedure uses principles of minimal-access surgery and thoracoscopy combined with the placement of a custom titanium support bar to achieve correction of Pectus Excavatum. Over 98% of the cases we see are treated in this fashion, with less pain and a shorter hospital stay.
What We Treat
Staff in the Pediatric General Surgery department treat conditions related to the anatomic area of the body (thorax and abdomen), as well as diseases unique to infants, children and adolescents or those that require special expertise.
- Abdominal masses and tumors including Wilm’s tumor and Neuroblastoma
- Biliary atresia
- Congenital anomalies of the intestine
- Congenital malformations
- Cystic hygromas
- Esophageal atresia
- Head and neck tumors
- Hepatobiliary cysts and tumors
- Inflammatory conditions
- Lung and mediastinum malformations and tumors
- Minimally invasive techniques
- Pediatric colorectal diseases including, imperforate anus, Hirschsprung’s disease and inflammatory bowel disease
- Pectus Excavatum and Carinatum (chest wall disorders)
- Undecided testes
- Pediatric operating suites are designed and equipped specifically for children and adolescents.
- Pediatric patients have access to child-friendly, state-of-the-art imaging technologies available at Cleveland Clinic.
- A special parents' waiting area is immediately adjacent to the pediatric operating rooms, providing immediate accessibility to the child if needed.