Maureen A. Schaupp, MSN, APRN-CNP, CHFN, is associate chief nursing officer for advanced practice nursing and nursing quality and practice at Cleveland Clinic. In her role, Schaupp is responsible for the leadership of the health system’s more than 2,300 advanced practice nurses, including overseeing and coordinating policy standardization, licensing, scope of practice, integration and utilization. She also leads and optimizes nursing practice and quality for the Nursing Institute, directing strategies for assessing quality-related metrics and outcomes. Schaupp previously served as advanced practice registered nurse (APRN)/physician assistant (PA) director at Cleveland Clinic Fairview Hospital, providing strategic oversight of all APRN/PA practice in the 550-bed acute care hospital and outpatient entities. Prior to that, she held various APRN/PA manager positions.
Schaupp began her nursing career in 2006 as a bedside nurse in the cardiac intensive care unit (CICU) at Fairview Hospital. After becoming a nurse practitioner in 2009, she worked at Cleveland Clinic main campus caring for patients with heart disease. She continues to see patients in the Heart Failure Clinic today. Schaupp earned her bachelor’s degree from the University of Dayton and her Master of Science in Nursing at Case Western Reserve University, Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing. She was a 2018-2019 Duke/Johnson & Johnson Nurse Leadership Fellow, has participated in Cleveland Clinic’s Leading in Healthcare program, and frequently serves as a mentor and preceptor to other nursing caregivers. She is a member of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners, Ohio Association of Advanced Practice Nurses, Heart Failure Society of America and American Association of Heart Failure Nurses.
- M.S.N., Adult Nurse Practitioner Certificate, Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, 2009
- Certificate of Professional Nursing, Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, 2005
- B.S., Exercise Science/Pre-Physical Therapy, University of Dayton, Dayton, Ohio, 2004
- Certified Adult Nurse Practitioner (APRN-CNP), The American Academy of Nurse Practitioners
- Certified Heart Failure Nurse (CHFN), American Association of Heart Failure Nurses
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS), American Heart Association
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS), American Heart Association
9500 Euclid Avenue / P32
Cleveland, Ohio 44195
With 15 years of service at Cleveland Clinic, Schaupp has a passion for ensuring high quality healthcare and continuous improvement and has played a vital role in leading readmission reduction initiatives, sepsis core measure compliance, decreasing length of stay, and reducing hospital-acquired pressure injuries. She believes in keeping goals and data at the forefront of all decision-making and process evaluation. As a leader of advanced practice, she has developed teams and service lines, enhancing patient quality and experience by elevating the way care is delivered. She consistently ranks as a top-tier engagement leader in Cleveland Clinic’s annual employee engagement survey and is known for her exceptional multidisciplinary collaboration, meaningful caregiver relationships and ability to empower those around her.
Clinical Practice & Teaching
Schaupp’s clinical expertise is in cardiovascular nursing.
Schaupp often serves as a mentor and preceptor to nursing students and new graduate nurses and is passionate about the advancement and professional development of her nursing colleagues.
Research & Publications
Throughout her career, Schaupp has been involved in many research studies, including as a co-investigator and site coordinator for National Institutes of Health (NIH) funded clinical trials. Her work has been published in the Journal of Cardiac Failure and she is an avid presenter on various heart failure and advanced practice provider topics.
- Member, American Association of Nurse Practitioners
- Member, Ohio Association of Advanced Practice Nurses
- Member, Heart Failure Society of America
- Committee Member, Early Career Committee (2014)
- Member, American Association of Heart Failure Nurses
Honors & Awards
- Fellow, Duke/Johnson & Johnson Nurse Leadership, 2018-2019
- Cleveland Clinic Leading in Healthcare Cohort, 2016