Meredith A. Foxx, MBA, MSN, APRN, PCNS-BC, PPCNP-BC, CPON, is the associate chief nursing officer for advanced practice nursing, nursing quality & practice at Cleveland Clinic. In her role, Foxx is responsible for the oversight and supervision of the scope of practice, recruitment, quality, credentialing and privileging of Cleveland Clinic health system’s more than 1,500 advanced practice registered nurses as well as quality & nursing practice as it relates to metrics and scope. Prior to her current position, Foxx served six years as senior director of advanced practice nursing, also providing strategic leadership for Cleveland Clinic’s advanced practice nurses, as well as direct supervision for the health system’s 40 inpatient clinical nurse specialists. Foxx’s Cleveland Clinic career experience also includes six years as a pediatric CNS, and a staff nurse in the pediatric intensive care unit.
With a passion for nursing advancement, Foxx is a dedicated professional whose expertise is noted throughout the healthcare industry through organizations such as the American Association of Nurse Practitioners (AANP) and the Association of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Nurses (APHON). She is the past president of the Ohio chapter for APHON, involved with several national APHON committees, and is the 2012 recipient of the organization’s Jean Fergusson Excellence in Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Nursing Practice Award. She received the 2018 AANP State Award for Advocacy Excellence. Additionally, she serves as a content expert and chair for the ANCC’s pediatric CNS exam and role definition study and is chairperson for the Cleveland Clinic nursing organization’s image and branding council, and legislative and health policy council. She holds a dual certification as a CNS and as a nurse practitioner in pediatrics, and has served as clinical faculty for advanced practice nursing students at several colleges and universities. Foxx has presented nationally on a variety of clinical and professional topics, and has been a featured speaker at many industry conferences.
- MBA, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, 2017
- MSN, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 2002
- BSN, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 1999
- Certified Pediatric Nurse Practitioner (PNP-BC), American Nurses Credentialing Center
- Certified Clinical Nurse Specialist in Pediatrics (PCNS-BC), American Nurses Credentialing Center
- Certified Pediatric Oncology Nurse (CPON), Oncology Nursing Certification Corporation
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS), American Heart Association
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS), American Heart Association
9500 Euclid Avenue / IND8
Cleveland, Ohio 44195
As a leader, Foxx has spent her nursing career devoted to the pediatric oncology patient population advanced practice and improving practice at the bedside. Through her guidance as an inpatient pediatric CNS, Foxx has supported general pediatric and pediatric hematology/oncology units, focusing on staff support, quality improvement, education and research. She has aided her colleagues and future nurses through precepting, unit-based education and teaching within the higher education setting. Additionally, among other councils and committees at Cleveland Clinic, Foxx has made an extensive impact on Cleveland Clinic’s shared governance, image and branding, and legislative and health policy councils. Foxx’s clinical experience, coupled with her drive to establish Cleveland Clinic’s advanced practice nursing program as an industry frontrunner, has made her a talented, dedicated, trusted and well respected nurse leader. Meredith enjoys mentoring nurses and serving as a coach for future nurse leaders.
Clinical Practice & Teaching
Foxx’s clinical expertise lies within the area of pediatric oncology, with additional expertise in caring for pediatric critical care patients in the intensive care setting. She has worked as a Staff RN, Nurse Practitioner, & Clinical Nurse Specialist.
Throughout her career, Foxx has served as a skills lab instructor for the University of Pennsylvania Nursing School, an independent nurse education consultant, a lecturer to new staff within Cleveland Clinic’s pediatric nursing orientation, and as a certified pediatric nurse review lecturer on the topics of childhood cancer and hematology dysfunction. She has served as a guest lecturer on the topics of advance practice, leadership, & advocacy. She is an instructor for the APHON chemotherapy and biotherapy provider course, and has also served as a clinical faculty member for the following institutions:
- Case Western Reserve University, Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing, Cleveland, Ohio
- Ursuline College, The Breen School of Nursing, Pepper Pike, Ohio
- University of Akron, Akron, Ohio
Research & Publications
At the start of her career, Foxx was a research assistant for Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia in the area of pediatric oncology. Since then, she has been an integral part of several research studies and has presented locally and nationally on a variety of clinical and professional topics, including chemotherapy safety, febrile neutropenia, oncology practice, advanced practice scope, APN leadership and advocacy. She has been a featured speaker at national conferences for APHON and the ANCC’s annual Magnet® conference. Similarly, she has presented posters highlighting quality improvement projects within the pediatric nursing practice and Advanced Practice Nursing domain.
- Member, Association of Pediatric Oncology Nurses
- Member, American Association of Nurse Practitioners
- President, Ohio Chapter, Association of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Nurses (2012-2015); Co-President (2010-2012)
- Board Member Secretary, APHON (2015-2018) and Member of Mentoring Taskforce, Educational Provider Unit Committee
- Member, APHON National Conference Planning Committee (2013), Committee Chair (2014)
- Abstract Reviewer, APHON National Conference (2012, 2013, 2015)
- Member, APHON Nominating Committee (2010-2013)
- Liaison, Oncology Nursing Certification Corporation Board (2015-2018) and Member, Finance Committee
- Manuscript Reviewer, Journal of Pediatric Oncology Nursing and Journal of American Academy of Nurse Practitioners
- Content Expert Panel Member (2006-2014), Vice Chair (2008-2012) and Chair (2012-2014), American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC)
- Member, Jazz Pharmaceuticals Speaker’s Bureau, Erwinaze (2012-present)
- Member and Key Person, Ohio Association of Advanced Practice Nurses (OAAPN), Full Practice Authority Committee
- Northeast Co-Director OAAPN Regional
Honors & Awards
- American Association of Nurse Practitioners State Advocate of the Year, Ohio, 2018
- Jean Fergusson Excellence in Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Nursing Practice Award, APHON, 2012
- Nursing Excellence Award, The Carolyn Neiman APN Award, Cleveland Clinic, 2009
- Marcia C. Liebman New Writer Excellence Award, Publishing Division, Oncology Nursing Society, 2009