Nancy M. Albert, PhD, CCNS, CHFN, CCRN, NE-BC, FAHA, FCCM, FHFSA, FAAN, is associate chief nursing officer for Cleveland Clinic’s Office of Nursing Research and Innovation, within the Zielony Nursing Institute and a clinical nurse specialist in Cleveland Clinic’s George M and Linda H Kaufman Center for Heart Failure Treatment and Recovery in the Heart, Vascular & Thoracic Institute. With extensive experience and expertise, Dr. Albert is an administrator and scientist and leads a program of research in heart failure.
Throughout her career, Dr. Albert has been influential in the healthcare industry, actively volunteering on steering committees, work groups and task forces of many national healthcare organizations. She has published more than 350 peer-reviewed articles in nursing and medical journals, written 27 book chapters and is a national and international presenter. She is the editor of a book (2016): Building and Sustaining a Hospital-Based Nursing Research Program (Springer) and first author of the 6th Ed of Quantum Leadership (2022; Jones and Bartlett Learning). Additionally, she has received several professional awards and recognitions, holds 4 national nursing certifications, including being a board-certified nurse executive, is a Fellow at 4 organizations, including the American Academy of Nursing, and is an adjunct associate professor at an Ohio-based school of nursing and a full professor at Aalborg University in Denmark. In 2015, she participated in a year-long AONE-Arizona State University Interprofessional Fellowship in Innovative Health Leadership. In October 2019, she was elected as the first nursing President of the Heart Failure Society of America, for a 1 year term.
Research interests include multiple themes in heart failure: predictors of improvement in patients’ quality of life and self-care adherence, interventions aimed at reducing hospitalization and mortality and quality assessment of and interventions aimed at improving healthcare provider use of evidence-based heart failure therapies.
- PhD in Nursing, Kent State University, Kent, Ohio, 2005.
- MSN, Kent State University, Kent, Ohio, 1991.
- BSN, Cleveland State University, Cleveland, Ohio, 1985.
- Diploma, Huron Road Hospital School of Nursing, East Cleveland, Ohio, 1977.
- Certified Clinical Nurse Specialist (CCNS), American Association of Critical Care Nurses.
- Certified Heart Failure Nurse (CHFN), American Association of Heart Failure Nurses.
- Certified Critical Care Registered Nurse (CCRN), American Association of Critical Care Nurses.
- Board Certified Nurse Executive (NE-BC), American Nurses Credentialing Center.
Office of Nursing Research and Innovation
9500 Euclid Avenue / J3-4
Cleveland, Ohio 44195
Dr. Albert is responsible for the management and oversight of all resources, research and innovation activity conducted within Cleveland Clinic Nursing’s Office of Research and Innovation. Through her leadership, Dr. Albert’s team mentors and coaches nurses as principal and co-investigators in research and evidence-based practice to improve patient outcomes and healthcare provider clinical, education, information technology and quality efficiency and effectiveness. The team also assist with implementation science/translation of research into practice, when warranted. In addition, her team assists nurses to bring forward and cultivate innovative ideas. For both research and innovation, her team provides services throughout the health system. A tenured nurse scientist, she actively conducts studies through her programs of research: understanding bio-behavioral issues that impact self-care adherence in heart failure, clinical outcomes of patients with heart failure; and, improving conformity to recommended heart failure care advocated in national guidelines. In 2018, she spearheaded the development of d a Distance-Mediated Post-Doctoral Clinical Research Fellowship to advance post-doctorate nurses’ knowledge and skills in research methodologies, conduct, and analysis and provide them with foundational information in collaborative practices and funding that will promote a successful career as a nurse scientist.
Clinical Practice & Teaching
Dr. Albert is a clinical nurse specialist in an outpatient heart failure clinic for patients with advanced heart failure.
Dr. Albert is an external consultant and clinical educator to nurses and healthcare teams wishing to promote evidence-based medical and nursing practices and nursing/interprofessional research. She is an adjunct associate professor and full professor at the following institutions, respectively:
- Case Western Reserve University, Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing, Cleveland, Ohio
- Aalborg University, Nursing Science, Faculty of Medicine, Aalborg, Denmark
In 2018, she initiated a Distance-Mediated, post-doctoral, clinical research fellowship for nurses who have a PhD, but desire to advance their research skills and experiences at a clinical research site.
Research & Publications
Dr. Albert has published more than 340 peer-reviewed articles in nursing and medical journals and has written and reviewed numerous book chapters. She serves as executive editor of Cleveland Clinic’s own Notable Nursing, is an editorial board member of four journal publications, an associate editor for one nursing journal, and is an active manuscript reviewer for many cardiology journals. Additionally, Dr. Albert presents nationally and internationally.
You can view Nancy's publications and presentations below by year or you can download a PDF of her work.
2020 – Publications
Papers in Peer-Reviewed Journals [R], research (inc. quality research and systematic/integrative reviews)
Khariton Y, Fonarow GC, Hellkamp A, Thomas L, Nassif ME, Butler J, Duffy CI, Albert NM, Spertus JA. Heterogeneity of health status treatment response with sacubitril/valsartan:
Insights from the CHAMP-HF Registry. ESC-Heart Fail. 2020; 8(1):710-713. doi: 10.1002/ehf2.12981. [R]
Albert NM, Prasun MA. Telemedicine in Heart Failure during COVID-19: Like it, Love It or Lose It? Heart Lung. 2020;49(6):A11-A12. doi: 10.1016/j.hrtlng.2020.10.014.
Sterling MR, Kern LM, Safford MM, Jones CD, Feldman PH, Fonarow GC, Sheng S, Matsouaka RA, DeVore AD, Lytle B, Xu H, Allen LA, Deswal A, Yancy CW, Albert NM.
Home health care utilization and post-discharge outcomes after heart failure hospitalizations. JACC Heart Fail. 2020;8(12):1038-1049. doi: 10.1016/j.jchf.2020.06.009. [R]
Hartman J. Bena JF, Morrison SL, Albert NM. Criterion and construct validity and reliability of the pediatric IV difficulty score. J Am Vascular Assoc. 2020;25(3):40-44. doi.org/10.2309/JAVA-D-19-00038. [R]
Samsky MD, DeVore AD, McIlvennan CK, Granger CB, Granger BB, Hernandez AF, Felker GM, Fonarow GC, Albert NM, Pina IL, Lanfear D, Allen LA. Heart failure clinical trial operations during the COVID-19 pandemic: results from a multicenter survey. Circ Heart Fail. 2020;13(9):e007456. doi: 10.1161/CIRCHEARTFAILURE.120.007456. [R]
Siedlecki SL, Albert NM. The growth of nursing research within a large healthcare system. Applied Nurs Research. 2020;55:151291. doi: 10.1016/j.apnr.2020.151291.
Walden A, Moyse T, Meyer JR, Whitaker B, Briskin I, Albert NM. Enhancing the caregiver float experience. Nurs Manage. 2020;51(7):14-20. [R]
DeVore AD, Hellkamp AS, Thomas L, Albert NM, Butler J, Patterson JH, Spertus JA, Williams FB, Duffy CI, Hernandez AF, Fonarow GC. Improvement in LVEF in outpatients with heart failure with reduced ejection fraction: Data from CHAMP-HF. Circ Heart Fail. 2020; 13(7):e006833. doi: 10.1161/CIRCHEARTFAILURE.119.006833. [R]
Luo N, Hammill BG, DeVore AD, Xu H, Fonarow GC, Albert NM, Matsouaka RA, Hernandez AF, Yancy C, Mentz RJ. Outcomes and cost among Medicare beneficiaries hospitalized for heart failure assigned to accountable care organizations. Am Heart J. 2020; 226:13-23. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ahj.2020.04.028[R]
Vaduganathan M, Fonarow GC, Greene SJ, DeVore AD, Kavati A, Sikirica S, Albert NM, Duffy CI, Hill CL, Patterson JH, Spertus JA, Thomas LE, Williams FB, Hernandez AF, Butler J. Contemporary treatment patterns and clinical outcomes of comorbid diabetes mellitus and HFrEF: the CHAMP-HF registry. JACC Heart Fail. 2020; 8(6):469-480. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jchf.2019.12.015. [R]
O'Connor KD, Brophy T, Fonarow GC, Blankstein R, Swaminathan RV, Xu H, Matsouaka RA, Albert NM, Velazquez EJ, Yancy CW, Heidenreich PA, Hernandez AF, DeVore AD. Testing for coronary artery disease in older patients with new-onset heart failure: Findings from Get With The Guidelines-Heart Failure. Circ Heart Fail. 2020 Apr;13(4):e006963. doi: 10.1161/CIRCHEARTFAILURE.120.006963. [R]
Wu CM, Albert NM, Gluckman TJ, Lu D, Rogers S, Mobayed J, Patel S, Weintraub WS. Facilitating the identification of patients hospitalized for acute myocardial infarction and heart failure and the assessment of their readmission risk through the Patient Navigator Program. Am Heart J. 2020; 224;77-84. [R]
DeVore AD, Granger BB, Fonarow GC, Al-Khalidi HR, Albert NM, Lewis EF, Butler J, Piña IL, Heidenreich PA, Allen LA, Yancy CW, Cooper LB, Felker GM, Kaltenbach LA, McRae AT, Lanfear DE, Harrison RW, Kociol RD, Disch M, Ariely D, Miller JM, Granger CB, Hernandez AF. Care Optimization Through Patient and Hospital Engagement Clinical Trial for Heart Failure: Rationale and design of CONNECT-HF. Am Heart J. 2020; 220:41-50. doi: 10.1016/j.ahj.2019.09.012. [R]
Damluji AA, Forman DE, van Diepen S, Alexander KP, Page RL 2nd, Hummel SL, Menon V, Katz JN, Albert NM, Afilalo J, Cohen MG; American Heart Association Council on Clinical Cardiology and Council on Cardiovascular and Stroke Nursing. Older adults in the cardiac intensive care unit: Factoring geriatric syndromes in the management, prognosis, and process of care: A scientific statement from the American Heart Association. Circulation. 2020;141(2): e6-e32. doi: 10.1161/CIR.0000000000000741.
Hartman, J, Bena JF, Morrison SL, Albert NM. Effect of adding a pediatric vascular access team component to a pediatric peripheral vascular access algorithm. J Pediatr Healthcare. 2020;34:4-9. doi: 10.1016/j.pedhc.2019.06.004. [R]
- “Keynote address” at the virtual 2020 BSN Convocation Ceremony of Kent State University College of Nursing, Kent Ohio, December 18, 2020.
- “What Can I Do With My Career in Heart Failure? - Graduate Research in Cardiovascular Care” at the 16th Annual Heart Failure Symposium, sponsored by Northwestern Medicine, Simu-Live, December 10, 2020.
- “Sound body, sound mind: managing diet, exercise, medications and mental health” [lead panelist with Bethany Austin, MD and Robin Gage (patient)], at the Virtual Heart Failure Patient and Caregiver Day, sponsored by the Heart Failure Society of America, Live, December 5, 2020.
- “Socio-economic Impact of Heart Failure Hospitalization and Readmission” at the Heart Failure Summit, sponsored by the Preventive Cardiovascular Nursing Association, Live webinar, December 1, 2020.
- “My Recorded On-demand Audio Discharge Instructions (MyROAD) in Heart Failure” at the American Heart Association Scientific Sessions 2020, sponsored by the American Heart Association, Live webinar, November 17, 2020.
- “How MLAI is Reinventing Clinical Decision Support” at the Machine Learning and AI for Healthcare Digital Meeting sponsored by HIMSS, Simu-live, December 2, 2020.
- “Homing in on the Patient Pathway to Care for Heart Failure Roundtable” sponsored by World Heart Federation - National Forum, Live Webinar panelist, November 19, 2020.
- “Diversity and Inclusion” sponsored by the American College of Cardiology, Live virtual meeting, November 19, 2020.
“Nursing Research: Millions of Statistics Trapped in Computers with No Where to Go! Letting the Genie Out of the Bottle!” at the 2020 Virtual AVA at Your Fingertips annual meeting; sponsored by the American Vascular Association, Simu-Live Webinar, October 30, 2020.
- “From Disaster Planning to Crisis Leadership,” sponsored by Jones and Barlett Learning; Live virtual webinar, October 16, 2020.
- “Heart failure and COVID-19- Challenges of management” at the Cardiothoracic Nursing Symposium 2020 on Covid 19; sponsored by Northwestern Hospital (Chicago, IL), Live Webinar, October 6, 2020.
- Implementation: Systematic strategies of improving care and outcomes” at the Virtual HFSA 2000 Annual Scientific Meeting, sponsored by the Heart Failure Society of America, Live, October 4, 2020.
- “Smoothing Heart Failure Care Transitions: Contemporary Strategies Utilizing Case Managers and APNs” at the Virtual HFSA 2000 Annual Scientific Meeting, sponsored by the Heart Failure Society of America, Simu-Live, October 2, 2020.
- “COVID-19: Lessons Learned in Heart Failure and Living with the New Normal” at the Virtual HFSA 2000 Annual Scientific Meeting, sponsored by the Heart Failure Society of America, Simu-Live, September 30, 2020.
- “Managing Heart Failure Comorbidities” at the Heart Failure Expo, sponsored by the National Office of the American Heart Association, Simu-Live Panel Webinar, September 15, 2020.
- “Innovations In and For Healthcare”, sponsored by Canadian Entrepreneurs in Life Sciences, Live Webinar, September 11, 2020.
- “Preparing Patients for Technology” within the Telehealth in the workforce: Practical strategies to help prepare patients and Providers during COVID-19 and beyond, sponsored by Transatlantic Telehealth Research Network (TTRN), CITRIS and the Banatao Institute, the International Society for Telemedicine & eHealth (ISfTEH), UC Davis Health and the Gary & Mary West Foundation, Live Webinar, July 21, 2020.
- “Keeping current in heart failure care” at the Northern Ohio Heart Failure Coordinators Roundtable, sponsored by the American Heart Association, Virtual Meeting, July 8, 2020.
- “Following Flo’s Footsteps: Nursing research that shapes HF practices and outcomes”. Virtual AAHFN 16th Annual Meeting, sponsored by the American Association of Heart Failure Nurses, Virtual Meeting (Live); June 27, 2020.
- “New paradigms in heart failure management”, sponsored by the American Heart Association and Medscape Education, Live Roundtable, June 4, 2020.
- “Management of HFrEF patients in the community: A nursing perspective” sponsored by Medscape Education, Zoom recording, May 28, 2020.
- “Midwest Heart Failure & COVID-19 Perspectives and Considerations” sponsored by the National Office of the American Heart Association, Webinar; May 12, 2020.
2019 – Publications
Albert NM, Alves J, Blanchard D, Espin SJ, Holmes M, Moreland PJ, Tuck D. In Laughlin CB & Witwer SG (Eds.). Care of the chronically ill patient, Chapter 19 [Chronic Heart Failure]. Core Curriculum for Ambulatory Care Nursing, Laughlin CB, Ed. (4th Ed.). American Academy of Ambulatory Care Nursing: Pitman, NJ; 2019; 21-422 [Chronic Heart Failure pp: 355-371].
Papers in Peer-Reviewed Journals [R], research (inc. quality research and systematic/integrative reviews)
Vaduganathan M, Fonarow GC, Greene SJ, DeVore AD, Albert NM, Duffy CI, Hill L, Spertus JA, Thomas LE, Butler J. Health-Related quality of life in comorbid heart failure with reduced ejection fraction and diabetes mellitus. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2019;74(25):3176-3178.. doi: 10.1016/j.jacc.2019.10.020. [R]
Giblin EM, Adams, Jr KF, Hill L, Fonarow GC, Williams FB, Albert NM, Butler J, DeVore AD, Duffy CI, Hernandez AF, Spertus JA, Thomas L, Patterson JH. Comparison of hydralazine/nitrate and angiotensin receptor neprilysin inhibitor use among black versus nonblack Americans with heart failure and reduced ejection fraction (from CHAMP-HF). Am J Cardiol; 2019;124(12):1900-1906. doi: 10.1016/j.amjcard.2019.09.020. [R]
Khariton Y, Fonarow GC, Arnold SV, Hellkamp A, Nassif ME, Sharma PP, Butler J, Thomas L, Duffy CI, DeVore AD, Albert NM, Patterson JH, Williams FB, McCague K, Spertus JA. Association between sacubitril/valsartan initiation and health status outcomes in heart failure with reduced ejection fraction. JACC Heart Fail. 2019;7:933–41. doi.org/10.1016/j.jchf.2019.05.016. [R]
Zito T, Berardinelli A, Butler R, Albert NM. Association of end tidal carbon dioxide monitoring on nurses' confidence in patient readiness for post-anesthesia discharge. J PeriAnesth Nurs. 2019;34(5):971-977. doi: 10.1016/j.jopan.2019.01.014. [R]
Montague M, Karafa M, Albert NM. Evaluation of the accuracy of assessment and documentation of incontinence-associated dermatitis after implementation of a standardized instrument. J Wound Care. 2019;28(Sup9):S4-S11. doi: 10.12968/jowc.2019.28.Sup9.S4.. [R]
Thomas M, Khariton Y, Fonarow GC, Arnold SV, Hill L, Nassif ME, Sharma PP, Butler J, Thomas L, Duffy CI, DeVore AD, Hernandez A, Albert NM, Patterson JH, Williams FB, McCague K, Spertus JA. Association of Changes in Heart Failure Treatment With Patients' Health Status: Real-World Evidence From CHAMP-HF. J Am Coll Cardiol HF. 2019;7:615–25. doi: 10.1016/j.jchf.2019.03.020. [R]
Greene SJ, Fonarow GC, DeVore AD, Sharma PP, Vaduganathan M, Albert NM, Duffy CI, Hill CL, McCague K, Patterson JH, Spertus JA, Thomas L, Williams FB, Hernandez AF, Butler J. Longitudinal Titration of Medical Therapy for Heart Failure with Reduced Ejection Fraction: CHAMP-HF Registry. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2019 73:2365–83. doi: 10.1016/j.jacc.2019.02.015. [R]
Albert NM, Swindle JP, Busyman EK, Chang C. Lower hospitalization and healthcare costs with sacubitril/valsartan versus angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor or angiotensin-receptor blocker in a retrospective analysis of patients with heart failure. J Am Heart Assoc. 2019;8:e011089. DOI: 10.1161/JAHA.118.011089. [R]
Albert NM, Chipps E, Falkenberg Olson AC, Liu Hand L, Harmon M, Heitschmidt MG, Klein CJ, Lefaiver C, Wood T. Fostering academic-clinial research partnerships. J Nurs Admin. 2019;49(5):234-241. doi: 10.1097/NNA.0000000000000744.
Peri-Okonny P, Mi X, Khariton Y, Patel KK, Thomas L, Fonarow GC,Sharma PP, Duffy CI, Albert NM, Butler J, Hernandez AF, McCague K, Williams FB, DeVore AD, Patterson JH, Spertus JA. Target doses of heart failure medical therapy and blood pressure: Insights from the CHAMP-HF registry. JACC Heart Fail. 2019;7(4):350-358. doi: 10.1016/j.jchf.2018.11.011. [R]
Albert NM, Bena JF, Keleekai-Brapoh N, Rice K, Runner JC, Ciudad C, Morrison SL, Slifcak E. Reusable electroencephalography electrodes: Variability in cleaning and reprocessing practices. Neurodiagn J. 2019;59(1):45-57. doi: 10.1080/21646821.2019.1571357. [R]
Kalo K, Karius D, Bena J, Morrison S, Albert NM. Chemotherapy safety via a nurse-led time-out process. Clin J Oncol Nurs. 2019;23(2):197-202. doi: 10.1188/19.CJON.197-202.. [R]
- “Nursing research and EBP across the spectrum: Novice to expert” at The Value of Nursing Research conference, sponsored by Parkview Hospital, Fort Wayne, Indiana, November 15, 2019.
- “Advancing nursing engagement and excellence: Research utilization and evidence-based practices at the bedside”, at the 14th Annual Nursing Research Conference, sponsored by Christina Care Hospital, Wilmington, Delaware, November 1, 2019.
- “Top 10 Medical Innovations: 2020, #10” at the Medical Innovation Summit, sponsored by Cleveland Clinic Innovations, Cleveland Ohio, October 23, 2019.
- “Building and sustaining an innovative infrastructure” at the Medical Innovation Summit, sponsored by Cleveland Clinic Innovations, Cleveland Ohio, October 21, 2019.
- “Operationalizing System Nursing Innovation-Member Showcase Cleveland Clinic” at the Large System Nurse Executives Network Meeting, sponsored by Vizient. San Francisco, CA, October 29, 2019.
- “Ensuring rigor of EBP change/QI projects. Trusting your results and getting published” at the 2019 Research! Louisville Nursing Symposium, sponsored by Baptist Health Louisville, Kentucky One Health, Norton Healthcare, UL Healthcare, Robley Rex VA Medical Center, and Sigma Theta Tau. Louisville, Kentucky, September 27, 2019.
- “Advancing nursing research” at the 2019 Research! Louisville Nursing Symposium, sponsored by Baptist Health Louisville, Kentucky One Health, Norton Healthcare, UL Healthcare, Robley Rex VA Medical Center, and Sigma Theta Tau. Louisville, Kentucky, September 27, 2019. .
- “Heart failure readmissions” at the Addressing the Challenges in the Management of Heart Failure, sponsored by Albert Einstein College of Medicine and Montefiore University Hospital, September 7, 2019.
- “Diabetes in heart failure: should we become diabetologists?” at the Addressing the Challenges in the Management of Heart Failure, sponsored by Albert Einstein College of Medicine and Montefiore University Hospital, September 7, 2019.
- “New initiatives for reducing re-admissions” at the Addressing the Challenges in the Management of Heart Failure, sponsored by Albert Einstein College of Medicine and Montefiore University Hospital, September 7, 2019.
- “Hospital Nurses are Innovators- We Simply Need to Open the Door” at the Trending Topic Webinar, sponsored by Vizient, July 17, 2019.
- “Guideline-Directed Medical Therapy” at the AAHFN 15th Annual Meeting, sponsored by the American Association of Heart Failure Nurses, Austin, Texas, June 29, 2019.
- “Heart Rate in Heart Failure: Hospitalization Risk and Health-Related Quality of Life” at the AAHFN 15th Annual Meeting, sponsored by Amgen, Inc., Austin, Texas, June 28, 2019.
- “Patient Reported Outcome Measures in Heart Failure” at the AAHFN 15th Annual Meeting, sponsored by the American Association of Heart Failure Nurses, Austin, Texas, June 27, 2019.
- “Know Diabetes by Heart” webinar sponsored by the American Heart Association, June 18, 2019.
- “Writing for Publication” webinar at the Specialty Focused Research Network Webinar Series, sponsored by the American Heart Association, May 15, 2019.
- “How to Run a Heart Failure Clinic and Program” at the 2019 Future Leaders in Heart Failure meeting, sponsored by Heart Failure Society of America, Washington DC, May 11, 2019.
- “Readmissions Conundrum” during Economics of Advanced Heart Failure at the 2019 Future Leaders in Heart Failure meeting, sponsored by Heart Failure Society of America, Washington DC, May 11, 2019.
- “3 discussions: Conversations with Division Chairs. Balancing Self Promotions with the Needs/Goals of the Division; Efficiency in Clinical Practice and Work/Life Balance at the 2019 Future Leaders in Heart Failure meeting, sponsored by Heart Failure Society of America, Washington DC, May 10, 2019.
- “Career Pathways Panel Discussion: How did you get here? A frank discussion of successes and failure” at the 2019 Future Leaders in Heart Failure meeting, sponsored by Heart Failure Society of America, Washington DC, May 10, 2019.
- “Heart Failure Transitional Care” at the 16th Annual Oregon Cardiovascular Symposium, sponsored by the Oregon Chapter American College of Cardiology Education Foundation, Portland, Oregon, May 3, 2019.
- “Implementing quality in the REAL world: A practical application” at the ACC Quality Summit, sponsored by the American College of Cardiology, New Orleans, Louisiana, March 13, 2019.
- “Ensuring rigor of EBP change/QI projects: Trusting YOUR results and getting published” at the annual NACNS meeting; sponsored by the National Association of Clinical Nurse Specialists, Orlando, Florida, March 7, 2019.
2018 – Publications
Albert NM. Chapter 19: Leading clinical nurse engagement in research. In: Gullante, Mary (ed), 21st Century Nursing Leadership, 1st Ed. Oncology Nursing Society, Pittsburg, PA; 2018; 217-234.
Papers in Peer-Reviewed Journals [R, research or research-related]
Albert NM. Electrocardiography monitoring of alarms: Is customization of alarms ready for prime time in an intensive care setting? (Editorial). Heart Lung. 2018;47:509-510. [Editorial]. doi: 10.1016/j.hrtlng.2018.07.002.
Albert NM, Bena JF, Ciudad C, Keleekai-Brapoh N, Morrison SL, Rice K, Slifcak E, Runner JC. Contamination of reusable electroencephalography electrodes: A multi-center study. Am J Infection Control. 2018;46:1360-1364. doi: 10.1016/j.ajic.2018.05.021. [R]
Albert NM. An integrative review of the literature on in-hospital worsening heart failure. Heart Lung. 2018;47:437-445. doi: 10.1016/j.hrtlng.2018.06.005. [R]
Jacobson A, Sumodi V, Albert NM, DeJohn L, Walker D, Dion K, Lin Tai, H, Ross DM. Patient activation, knowledge, and health literacy association with self-management behaviors in persons with heart failure. Heart Lung. 2018; 47:447-451. doi: 10.1016/j.hrtlng.2018.05.021. [R]
Peterson PN, Allen LA, Heidenreich PA, Albert NM, Piña IL, on behalf of the American Heart Association. The American Heart Association Heart Failure Summit, Bethesda, April 12, 2017. Circ Heart Fail. 2018;11(1):e004957. DOI: 10.1161/CIRCHEARTFAILURE.118.004957.
Di Fiore T, Zito A, Berardinelli A, Bena JF, Morrison SL, Keck DE, Kennedy K, Stibich A, Albert NM. Staff perceptions of decision-making in a shared governance culture. J Nurs Admin. 2018;48(11):561-566. [R]
DeVore AD, Hill CL, Thomas L, Sharma PP, Albert NM, Butler J, Patterson JH, Spertus JA, Williams FB, Duffy CI, McCague K, Hernandez AF, Fonarow GC. Patient, provider, and practice characteristics associated with sacubitril/valsartan use in the United States. Circ Heart Fail 2018;11(9):e005400. DOI: 10.1161/CIRCHEARTFAILURE.118.005400. [R]
Albert NM, Kozinn M. In-hospital initiation of heart failure guideline-directed medication therapy to improve long-term patient adherence and outcomes. Crit Care Nurse. 2018;38(5):16-24. doi: 10.4037/ccn2018669.
Prasun M, Albert NM. The importance of heart rate in heart failure and reduced ejection fraction. J Cardiovasc Nurs. 2018;;33(5):453-459. doi: 10.1097/JCN.0000000000000468.
Greene S, Butler J, Albert NM, DeVore AD, Sharma PP, Duffy C, Hill CL, McCague K, Mi X, Patterson JH, Spertus J, Thomas L, Williams F, Hernandez A, Fonarow GC. Contemporary utilization and dosing of guideline-directed medical therapy for heart failure with reduced ejection fraction: From the CHAMP-HF registry. J Am Coll Cardiol; 2018;72:351–66. doi: 10.1016/j.jacc.2018.04.070. [R]
Distelhorst K, Claussen R, Dion K, Bena JF, Morrsion SL, Walker D, Tai H, Albert, NM. Factors associated with adherence to 14-day office appointments after heart failure discharge. J Cardiac Fail. 2018;24(6):407-411. doi: 10.1016/j.cardfail.2018.04.006. [R]
Albert NM. Clinical nurse specialists as strategic visionary leaders in nursing: Are you in? Editorial) Clin Nurse Spec. 2018;32(4):169-170. doi: 10.1097/NUR.0000000000000389.
Khariton Y, Nassif ME, Thomas L, Fonarow GC, Mi X, DeVore AD, Duffy C, Sharma PP, Albert NM, Patterson JH, Butler J, Hernandez AF, Williams FB, McCague K, Spertus JA. Health status disparities by gender, race/ethnicity, and socioeconomic status in outpatients with heart failure. JACC Heart Fail. 2018;6(6):465-473. doi: 10.1016/j.jchf.2018.02.002. [R]
Marin PA, Bena JF, Albert NM. Real-world comparison of HbA1c reduction at 6- 12- and 24-months by primary care provider type. Prim Care Diabetes. 2018;I2(4):319-324. doi.org/10.1016/j.pcd.2018.01.008. [R]
Siegmund LA, Albert NM, McClelland M, Bena JF, Morrison SL. Functional capacity but not early uptake to cardiac rehabilitation predicts readmission in patients with metabolic syndrome. J Cardiovasc Nurs. 2018:33(4):306-312. doi: 10.1097/JCN.0000000000000454. [R]
DeVore AD, Mi X, Thomas L, Sharma PP, Albert NM, Butler J, Hernandez AF, Patterson JH, Spertus JA, Williams, FB, Duffy CI, McCague K, Fonarow GC. Characteristics and treatments of patients enrolled in CHAMP-HF compared to patients enrolled in PARADIGM-HF. J Am Heart Assoc.2018;7(12). Pii:e009237. Doi:10.1161/JAHA.118.009237. [R]
Klein K, Bena JF, Mulkey M, Albert NM. Sustainability of a nurse driven early progressive mobility protocol and patient clinical and psychological health outcomes in a neurological intensive care unit. Intens Crit Care Nurs. 2018;45:11-17. doi: 10.1016/j.iccn.2018.01.005. [R]
Khariton Y, Hernandez AF, Fonarow GC, Sharma PP, Duffy C, Thomas L, Mi X, Albert NM, Butler J, McCague K, Nassif ME, Williams FB, DeVore AD, Patterson JH, Spertus JA. Health status variation across practices in outpatients with heart failure: Insights from the CHAMP-HF Registry. Circulation: Cardiovascular Quality and Outcomes. 2018;11(4):e004668. DOI: 10.1161/CIRCOUTCOMES.118.004668. [R]
Albert NM, Bena JF, Buxbaum D, Martensen L, Morrsion SL, Prasun MA, Stamp KD. Nurses’ decision making in heart failure management based on heart failure certification status. Heart Lung. 2018;47:184-191. doi: 10.1016/j.hrtlng.2018.03.001. [R]
Hartman J, Baker J, Bena JF, Morrison SL, Albert NM. Pediatric vascular access peripheral IV algorithm success rate. J Pediatric Nurs. 2018;39:1-6. doi.org/10.1016/j.pedn.2017.12.002. 12/20/17. [R]
Stamp KD, Prasun M, Lee CS, Jaarsma T, Piano MR, Albert NM. Nursing research in heart failure care: a position statement of the American Association of Heart Failure Nurses (AAHFN). Heart Lung. 2018;47:169-175. doi: 10.1016/j.hrtlng.2018.01.003.
Rosenberger J, McCrudden S, McCullough C, Wang L, Kime J, Albert NM. Factors associated with inter-arm blood pressure differences in patients admitted to critical care units. Heart Lung. 2018;47:100-106. doi: 10.1016/j.hrtlng.2017.11.004. [R]
Albert NM. Operationalizing a nursing innovation center within a healthcare system. Nurs Adm Q. 2018;42(1):43-53. doi: 10.1097/NAQ.0000000000000266.
- “Current and future research and innovation opportunities” at the Northeast Ohio Clinical Nurse Specialists organization, Brecksville, Ohio, September 5, 2018.
- “Patient reported outcomes in heart failure research” at the Cardiology Society of Australia and New Zealand (CSANZ) Annual Scientific Meeting, Brisbane, Australia, August 3, 2018.
- “USA perspective of multidisciplinary heart failure care” at the Cardiology Society of Australia and New Zealand (CSANZ) Annual Scientific Meeting, Brisbane, Australia, August 4, 2018.
- “Hospital-based clinical research: 9 considerations for success” at the Cardiology Society of Australia and New Zealand (CSANZ) Annual Scientific Meeting, Brisbane, Australia, August 2, 2018.
- “Contamination of reusable electroencephalography electrodes, a multicenter study.” at the 45th annual conference of the Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology, Minneapolis, Minnesota, June 14, 2018.
- “Nursing research: Is what you do related to what you see” for the National Association of Clinical Nurse Specialists, webinar, June 13, 2018.
- “Leveraging big data for clinical research” and “Building successful academic, corporate and clinical partnerships to advance your research” at the 2018 Annual Research Symposium: Connecting the dots: Collaboration for Excellence in Research and Human Subject Protection, sponsored by the OSF Healthcare, Peoria, IL; May 16, 2018.
- “Psychological factors in heart failure” at Aarhus University Psychology Department; sponsored by Aarhus University, Aarhus, Denmark; February 7, 2018.
- “eHealth literacy and heart failure” and Heart failure management in the USA today” at Viborg Municipality Ambulatory Care Center in Viorg, Denmark, February 6, 2018.
- Member, American Academy of Ambulatory Care Nurses.
- Member, American Association of Critical Care Nurses.
- Member, American Association of Heart Failure Nurses.
- Member, Heart Failure Nursing Research Consortium.
- Member, American College of Cardiology.
- Member, American Heart Association.
- Quality & Systems Improvement (QSI) Volunteer Actions.
- Heart Failure Systems of Care Committee.
- Outpatient Quality Improvement Advisory Group.
- Strategically Focused (Heart Failure) Research Network Review Panel.
- Quality Oversight Committee (of the AHA Research Committee).
- Member, American Nurses Association.
- Member, Heart Failure Society of America.
- President of the Executive Board and Board of Directors.
- Member, Midwest Nursing Research Society.
- Member, National Association of Clinical Nurse Specialists.
- Member, Ohio Association of Advanced Practice Nurses.
- Member, Sigma Theta Tau.
- Member, Society of Critical Care Medicine.
Honors & Awards
- 2019 Reviewer of the Year, Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing; November 20, 2019.
- Highly Cited Researcher Clinical Medicine, 2019 by Web of Science (Clarivate Analytics); (top 1% in the field); November 19, 2019.
- FIEL, Fellow of Innovation, Entrepreneurship & Leadership, April, 2019.
- Highly Cited Researcher, 2018 (1 of 100 listed); Clarivate Analytics, Web of Science, November 27, 2018.
- Heart Failure Society of America Nursing Leadership Award, September 16, 2018.
- Harriet Coeling Award for Clinical Nurse Specialist Clinical Practice, by the Northeast Ohio Clinical Nurse Specialist Organization, September 5, 2018.
- Fellow, American Academy of Nursing, 2015.
- Healthcare Volunteer of the Year Award of the American Heart Association, 2015.
- Presidential Citation from Society of Critical Care Medicine, 2015.
- 2014 Lifetime Achievement Award, Cleveland Clinic Nursing Institute, 2014.
- Distinguished Research Lecturer, American Association of Critical Care Nurses, 2013.
- Sue B. Davidson Service Award, National Association of Clinical Nurse Specialists, 2012.
- Inaugural Fellow, American Heart Association, affiliated with the Council on Quality of Care and Outcomes Research, 2009.
- Nurse Investigator Award, Heart Failure Society of America, 2007.
- Researcher of the Year (1st Annual), National Association of Clinical Nurse Specialists, 2007.
- Partners in Research, Center for Hospice, Palliative Care & End of Life Studies, University of South Florida, 2006.
- Nurse of the Year, Greater Cleveland Center for Health Affairs, 2000.