Lorraine M. Novosel, PhD, RN, APRN-CNP, AGPCNP-BC, is Nurse Scientist I for Cleveland Clinic’s Office of Nursing Research and Innovation. Dr. Novosel has extensive clinical experience providing comprehensive primary care services to adults as a board-certified nurse practitioner. An experienced researcher and academic, she has served as graduate faculty at Kent State University and as adjunct faculty at the University of South Florida. Most recently she was assistant professor at the University of Pittsburgh where she taught in the DNP program and served as Coordinator of the Adult-Gerontology Primary Care NP program. She has mentored numerous doctoral students (PhD and DNP) on dissertations and scholarly projects from study/project conception through dissemination.
Dr. Novosel’s research interests include patient-provider communication; depression and depressive symptomatology in primary care; depression and heart disease; nurse practitioner outcomes.
- PhD in Nursing, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL, 2007
- MSN, Kent State University, Kent, OH, 1995
- BSN, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA, 1992
- AAS, Youngstown State University, Youngstown, OH, 1983
- Certified Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner (AGPCNP-BC), American Nurses Credentialing Center
Office of Nursing Research & Innovation
9500 Euclid Avenue / T42
Cleveland, OH 44195
Dr. Novosel is an active member of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners (AANP) and has served on the Research Committee and on the Advisory Board of the AANP Network for Research. A longstanding member of STTI, she has served on chapter research and governance committees and as chapter counselor. In her academic role, she chaired numerous school committees, engaged in ongoing curriculum development, and developed a post-professional certificate in gerontology for practicing nurse practitioners who seek to increase their capacity as principal providers of primary health care to older adults.
Clinical Practice & Teaching
Dr. Novosel has over 25 years of experience as an Adult and Gerontological Primary Care Nurse Practitioner, with expertise providing comprehensive primary care to adult populations from diverse backgrounds in primary care and internal medicine practice settings. Her advanced practice nursing practice built upon a decade of experience in inpatient medical-surgical and pediatric nursing as a RN.
Dr. Novosel’s academic experience has focused on graduate level education. She served as graduate faculty in the nurse practitioner programs at Kent State University and taught graduate research as adjunct faculty at the University of South Florida College of Nursing. Most recently she was assistant professor and Coordinator of the Adult-Gerontology Primary Care NP program at the University of Pittsburgh where she taught theory, clinical practicum, and role-specific courses in the DNP nurse practitioner programs. She has mentored numerous doctoral students (PhD and DNP) on dissertations and scholarly projects from study/project conception through dissemination.
Research & Publications
Dr. Novosel’s funded research studies include an examination of depressive symptomatology, patient-provider communication, and patient satisfaction in primary care; the relationship between depression and cardiovascular disease; primary care nurse practitioner barriers to depression care; nurse practitioner risk assessment patterns; and advancing interprofessional education among health science students.
She has presented her work to numerous regional and national audiences, including the American Heart Association Scientific Sessions, Gerontological Society of America, American Association of Nurse Practitioners, and National Center for Interprofessional Practice and Education. Dr. Novosel serves as a manuscript reviewer for several nursing journals, has published numerous peer-reviewed papers, and serves on the editorial board of Urologic Nursing journal.
- Member, American Association of Nurse Practitioners
- Member, Society of Urologic Nurses and Associates
- Member, American Nurses Association
- Member, Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing
- Member, Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
Honors & Awards
- Distinguished Educator in Gerontological Nursing, National Hartford Center of Gerontological Nursing Excellence, 2019.
- American Heart Association/ Cardiovascular and Stroke Nursing Early Career Research Travel Award, 2015.
- Judith V. Braun Award for Advancing the Practice of Gerontological Nursing through Research, National Gerontological Nursing Association, 2014.
- Scholar, Hartford Institute for Geriatric Nursing Research, New York University, 2012.
- Outstanding Dissertation in the PhD Program, University of South Florida College of Nursing, 2007.
- Nurse Practitioner of the Year, Anchor Health Centers, Naples, FL, 2007.
- Dr. Linda E. Moody Doctoral Dissertation Award, University of South Florida College of Nursing, 2005.
- Dr. Vivian Ross Scholarship in Gerontology, University of South Florida College of Nursing, 2004.
- Imogene King Scholarship in Graduate Education, University of South Florida College of Nursing, 2003.
- Superior Presentation Award, University of South Florida Health Sciences Center Annual Research Day, 2002.
- Linda Moody Doctoral Dissertation Scholarship, University of South Florida College of Nursing, 2002.
- American Academy of Nurse Practitioners Foundation 2002 Doctoral Education NP Scholarship, 2002.
- District 20 Evelyn Baxter Memorial Scholarship, Florida Nurses Foundation, 2002.
- Inducted into Phi Kappa Phi National Honor Society, Chapter 126, University of South Florida, 2002.
- Linnea Henderson Award for Academic Excellence, Delta Xi Chapter, Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing, 1995.
- Inducted into Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing, Beta Sigma Chapter, Pennsylvania State University, 1993.