Sheila A. Miller, DNP, MBA, RN, NEA-BC, is chief nursing officer for Cleveland Clinic Akron General. With 30 years of nursing experience, Miller is a leader in quality patient care strategies, relationship building, team management and more. Prior to her current role, she served as vice president of nursing and chief nursing officer of Cleveland Clinic South Pointe Hospital, leading the organization in earning the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s (ANCC) prestigious Magnet® designation. Miller’s extensive leadership experience also includes prominent roles such as chief operating officer of South Pointe Hospital and associate chief nursing officer of clinical practice, where she worked to advance and integrate nursing practice across Cleveland Clinic health system, collaborating with multiple disciplines to improve quality and patient outcomes.
Miller’s tenured nursing career includes work in varying clinical specialties and positions within Cleveland Clinic health system as well as Akron General Medical Center in Akron, Ohio, and Cuyahoga Falls General Hospital in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio. Her professional activities include public speaking and presenting as well as writing for publication. Miller is an avid community service volunteer for multiple organizations, including those aimed at improving health and education. In 1993, she received Case Western Reserve University’s Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing Hann Award for Excellence and Administration. She is also a recipient of the Cleveland Clinic Zielony Nursing Institute’s 2018 Lifetime Achievement Award and the 2018 Business Leader of Excellence Award from the Warrensville Area Chamber of Commerce.
- DNP, Chamberlain College of Nursing, 2016
- MSN / MBA, Case Western Reserve University, Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing and Weatherhead School of Management, Cleveland, Ohio, 1993
- ADN, Cuyahoga Community College, Cleveland, Ohio, 1984
Cleveland Clinic Akron General
1 Akron General Avenue
Akron, Ohio 44307
Leading with patient care at the forefront of all she does, Miller is committed to providing superior bedside care through a supportive nursing care environment – doing so by meeting organizational goals such as patient satisfaction, and talent and fiscal management. Under her steadfast leadership, Cleveland Clinic South Pointe Hospital was the second hospital in Ohio to earn ANCC’s Pathway to Excellence® designation. She also led South Pointe in becoming an ANCC Magnet-designated hospital and a certified Primary Stroke Center by The Joint Commission. Time and time again, Miller has proven her leadership success includes consistent excellence in quality measures and improvement of the professional status of nursing through initiatives such as standardization of policies and procedures, professional practice model development and the implementation of evidence-based standards.
Clinical Practice & Teaching
Miller’s clinical specialties are vast, spanning the areas of critical care, medical/surgical and psychiatric nursing.
Since her foray into nursing leadership, Miller has advised and educated current and upcoming leaders in nursing. She served as a mentor within Cleveland Clinic health system’s accelerated chief nursing officer program and developed a pilot nurse manager onboarding program that is currently used as the foundation for all system- and institute-wide nurse manager onboarding. She has also acted as a preceptor for graduate nursing students.
Research & Publications
Miller is an avid public speaker and presenter having presented many times throughout her career, especially on improved performance, nursing peer reviews and processes and her knowledge of psychiatric nursing care. Her expertise covers a variety of topics such as methods to improve care and effects of education on staff knowledge and attitude toward patients with borderline personality.
- Lead Appraiser, ANCC Pathway to Excellence Program
- Member, American Association of Nurse Executives
- Member, Ohio Organization of Nurse Executives
- Member, Sigma Theta Tau International
Honors & Awards
- Business Leader of Excellence Award, Warrensville Area Chamber of Commerce, 2018
- Lifetime Achievement Award, Cleveland Clinic Nursing Institute, 2018
- Platinum Award, Nurse Leader Rounding, Cleveland Clinic Nursing Institute, 2013
- Caregiver Excellence Award, Patient Experience, Huron Hospital, 2011
- Gold Level President’s Award for Quality, MRSA Surveillance, South Pointe Hospital, 2008
- Gold Level President’s Award for Quality, Core Measures, South Pointe Hospital, 2007
- Hann Award for Excellence and Administration, Case Western Reserve University’s Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing, 1993
Throughout Miller’s tenure as chief nursing officer, South Pointe Hospital and Huron Hospital have received the following honors:
- Magnet® Recognition, American Nurses Credentialing Center, South Pointe Hospital, 2018
- Pathway to Excellence® Recognition, American Nurses Credentialing Center, South Pointe Hospital, 2013
- Woman’s Choice Award for emergency care, Woman’s Certified, Inc., South Pointe Hospital, 2013
- Guardian of Excellence Award for emergency care, Press Ganey, South Pointe, 2013
- Gold Plus Stroke Recognition, American Heart Association/American Stroke Association, South Pointe, 2017
- Silver Award for Resuscitation, American Heart Association, South Pointe Hospital, 2016
- Top 50 Hospital according to Healthgrades, South Pointe Hospital, 2013
- Ranked 6th Hospital in Metro Area, U.S. News and World Report, 2017
- Inpatient Diabetes Certification, The Joint Commission, Huron Hospital, 2010 (19th hospital in the country)