Sheila A. Miller, DNP, MBA, RN, NEA-BC , is vice president of nursing and chief nursing officer for Cleveland Clinic South Pointe Hospital. With 30 years of nursing experience, Miller is a leader in quality patient care strategies, relationship building and team management. She has experience in varying clinical specialties and has worked at three Cleveland Clinic hospitals as well as Akron General Medical Center in Akron, Ohio, and Cuyahoga Falls General Hospital in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio. Prior to her current role, she served as associate chief nursing officer of clinical practice, where she worked to advance and integrate nursing practice across the Cleveland Clinic health system, collaborating with multiple disciplines to improve quality and patient outcomes.
Her professional activities include public speaking and presenting as well as writing for publication. Miller is an avid community service volunteer for multiple organizations, including those aimed at improving health and education. In 1993, she received Case Western Reserve University’s Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing Hann Award for Excellence and Administration.
- MSN / MBA, Case Western Reserve University, Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing and Weatherhead School of Management, Cleveland, Ohio, 1993
- ADN, Cuyahoga Community College, Cleveland, Ohio, 1984
Cleveland Clinic South Pointe Hospital
20000 Harvard Road
Warrensville Heights, Ohio 44122
As someone who leads with patient care at the forefront, Miller maintains her commitment to bedside care and a supportive nursing care environment – doing so by meeting organizational goals such as patient satisfaction, and talent and fiscal management. Under her leadership, Cleveland Clinic’s South Pointe Hospital received the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Pathway to Excellence® designation – being the second hospital in Ohio to receive – and The Joint Commission’s Primary Stroke Center certification. From her previous system-wide leadership role to her tenured experience as a chief nursing officer at two Cleveland Clinic hospitals, as well as her various director-level positions, Miller’s leadership success includes consistent excellence in core measures and improvement of the professional status of nursing through initiatives such as standardization of policies and procedures, model of care development and the implementation of evidence-based standards.
Clinical Practice & Teaching
Miller’s clinical specialties are vast, spanning the areas of critical care, medical/surgical and psychiatric nursing.
Since her foray into nursing leadership, Miller has advised and educated current and upcoming leaders in nursing. She served as a mentor within Cleveland Clinic health system’s accelerated chief nursing officer program and developed a pilot nurse manager onboarding program that is currently used as the foundation for all system- and institute-wide nurse manager onboarding. She has also acted as a preceptor for graduate nursing students.
Research & Publications
Miller is an avid public speaker and presenter having presented many times throughout her career, especially on improved performance and processes and her knowledge of psychiatric nursing care. Her expertise covers a variety of topics such as methods to improve care and effects of education on staff knowledge and attitude toward patients with borderline personality.
- Member, American Association of Nurse Executives
- Member, Ohio Organization of Nurse Executives
- Member, Sigma Theta Tau International
Honors & Awards
- Platinum Award, Nurse Leader Rounding, Cleveland Clinic Nursing Institute, 2013
- Caregiver Excellence Award, Patient Experience, Huron Hospital, 2011
- Gold Level President’s Award for Quality, MRSA Surveillance, South Pointe Hospital, 2008
- Gold Level President’s Award for Quality, Core Measures, South Pointe Hospital, 2007
- Hann Award for Excellence and Administration, Case Western Reserve University’s Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing, 1993
Throughout Miller’s tenure as chief nursing officer, South Pointe Hospital and Huron Hospital have received the following honors:
- Pathway to Excellence® Recognition, American Nurses Credentialing Center, South Pointe Hospital, 2013
- Woman’s Choice Award for emergency care, Woman’s Certified, Inc., South Pointe Hospital, 2013
- Guardian of Excellence Award for emergency care, Press Ganey, South Pointe, 2013
- Silver Plus Stroke Recognition, American Heart Association/American Stroke Association, South Pointe, 2013
- Silver Award for Resuscitation, American Heart Association, South Pointe Hospital, 2013
- Top 50 Hospital according to Healthgrades, South Pointe Hospital, 2013
- Ranked 4th Hospital in Metro Area, U.S. News and World Report, 2013
- Inpatient Diabetes Certification, The Joint Commission, Huron Hospital, 2010 (19th hospital in the country)