Virtual Second Opinions
Why Would I Need a Second Opinion?
A second opinion can help you make an informed, confident decision about your medical care. Sometimes, you may find out about treatment options you didn’t know were available. And in some cases, the information you gain during a second opinion consultation can even change your diagnosis.
Now it’s easier than ever to get the answers you need and peace of mind you deserve. Cleveland Clinic’s Virtual Second Opinions program connects you to an expert physician who specializes in your specific health needs. You receive a secure, private online consultation without leaving home.
Ready to Register or Need to Speak with Someone?
Online Second Opinions: Why Choose Cleveland Clinic?
Highlights of our virtual second opinion program include:
- Convenience: We offer a seamless digital experience, saving you the time, expense and hassle of traveling for a second opinion. Your personal nurse care manager gathers all your medical records, so you can focus on your health.
- Skilled team: Cleveland Clinic’s doctors are internationally renowned for their exceptional training and experience. We’re ranked second in the world by Newsweek magazine for World’s Best Hospitals. You can rest assured you’re receiving an expert second opinion you can trust.
- Personalized approach: You receive a one-on-one video consultation directly with the Cleveland Clinic physician who has carefully reviewed your health history, test results and other relevant medical records. They take the time to discuss your diagnosis and treatment options in detail, addressing any questions or concerns you may have.
- Timely service: When you have a serious or complex health condition, every day counts. We gather your medical records quickly and review them right away. In most cases, you receive your online second opinion and a written report within two weeks.
- Specialty expertise: Cleveland Clinic offers second opinions for nearly any health concern, from cancer and cardiology to digestive diseases and spine disorders. We have 3,500 doctors with expertise in over 550 advanced subspecialties — so we’re prepared to assess even the most complex cases for both adults and children.
Frequently Asked Questions About Second Opinions
Get answers to common questions about second opinions.
When should I consider a second opinion?
You may choose to consider a second opinion if you:
- Have a condition that isn’t improving or is getting worse, despite treatment.
- Have been diagnosed with a serious or rare health condition.
- Have been told a health condition is not treatable.
- Are considering a treatment that involves significant risks, such as surgery.
- Need guidance choosing from multiple treatment options.
- Want confirmation about a diagnosis or treatment.
How much does a second opinion cost?
The all-inclusive cost for a virtual second opinion for patients in the U.S. is $1,850. This fee includes:
- Consultation with your nurse care manager.
- Medical record collection from doctors and hospitals.
- Reinterpretation of imaging scans and lab tests.
- Expert review of your case by a Cleveland Clinic specialist.
- Video consultation and written report from your expert.
Does insurance cover second opinions?
Insurance doesn’t typically cover second opinions. However, you may be able to pay for a virtual second opinion with your Flexible Spending Account (FSA) or Health Savings Account (HSA). If you’re not sure if you have an FSA or HSA, talk to your employer or insurance provider.
Can I get a virtual second opinion if I don’t live in the U.S.?
Absolutely. Cleveland Clinic welcomes international patients and is happy to provide you with an expert second opinion. The all-inclusive cost for a virtual second opinion for patients outside the U.S. is $2,500 (USD).
International patients upload their medical records in English through our secure online platform. A nurse care manager reviews your case and matches you to the most appropriate Cleveland Clinic specialist. Your expert reviews all aspects of your diagnosis and treatment plan and provides an in-depth written report in English. International patients can register for an online account to get started.
How can I get help if I have questions before signing up for a virtual second opinion?
To speak with a member of our team, please call 216.444.3223 or fill out this form and someone from our team will contact you shortly.
Ready to Get Started?
To start the virtual second opinion process, please call 216.444.3223 or register for an online account below: