Dr. Nelita (Marianela) Iuppa, DNP, MS, BSN, NEA-BC, RN-BC, FHIMSS, is Cleveland Clinic’s associate chief nursing officer for informatics. Since 2004, Dr. Iuppa has been a leading innovative figure in the Office of Nursing Informatics, sponsoring countless automated solutions for digital technologies including: mobile computing, electronic nursing documentation, web design, interoperability of systems, business intelligence analytics, clinical decision support, simulation, machine learning and countless other emerging technologies. Dr. Iuppa often assists with clinical leadership coverage during transitional periods including Surgical Support Areas, Nursing Education and Professional Development.
A nationally recognized leader in nursing informatics and innovative thinking, Dr. Iuppa has served and chair several local and national nursing informatics committees, and is an adjunct professor at two local Universities. She has authored and published journal articles, research studies and book chapters on various nursing informatics topics and has participated as an expert source for various media articles as well as a radio interview on the topic of career pathways for executives in nursing informatics. Known for her dynamic approach to current healthcare challenges and cutting-edge thinking Dr. Iuppa has hosted and chaired numerous conference and educational opportunities including establishing of the Cleveland Clinic SHIELD™ conference to empower caregivers to respond to social factors impacting the healthcare environment from the opioid crisis, workplace violence, mass shooter/disaster events, human trafficking and protected health information cybercrime.
- DNP, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, 2010
- MS in Nursing Informatics, University of Maryland, Baltimore, Maryland, 2000
- BSN, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, 1999
- Fellow in the Healthcare Information Management Systems Society (FHIMSS)
- Board Certified, Nursing Informatics (BC), American Nurses Credentialing Center
- Board Certified Advanced Nurse Executive (NEA-BC), American Nurses Credentialing Center
- Certified in Inpatient Clinical Documentation, EPIC Electronic Medical Record System
Office of Nursing Informatics
9500 Euclid Avenue / P32
Cleveland, Ohio 44195
Designing, developing, implementing and managing nursing and clinical information systems, Dr. Iuppa oversees all projects related to nursing information systems and is the nursing liaison to Cleveland Clinic’s Information Technology Division (ITD). A prominent leader, she works to develop and implement new and revised information systems, facilitate programs and policies and establish a climate for excellence in nursing practice.
Clinical Practice & Teaching
Dr. Iuppa has been a nurse at Cleveland Clinic since 2000, and has a broad clinical nursing background in intensive care and pre- and post-operative nursing.
Dr. Iuppa enjoys teaching and has served as an associate professor of nursing informatics to many undergraduate nursing students at the following institutions:
- Case Western Reserve University, Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing, Cleveland, Ohio
- Kent State University College of Nursing, Kent, Ohio
Research & Publications
An advocate for sharing information and best practices, Dr. Iuppa has produced many impactful works throughout her career. This includes abstracts, book chapters and more for journals, like the Journal for the Ohio Academy of Science and other publications. She has presented on nursing informatics across the country at various industry association gatherings and conferences.
- Founding Member, Ohio Nursing Informatics Organization (ONIO)
- Former Board Member, Mosby/Elsevier Nursing Advisory Board
- Member, Healthcare Information Management Systems Society (HIMSS), HIMSS Nursing Informatics Task Force and Nursing Informatics Committee
- Reviewer, annual HIMSS conference applications
- Member and past Board Member, The Capital Area Roundtable on Informatics in Nursing (ANIA-CARING)
- Past Chair, Job Bank and Education Committees, CARING
- Member, Informatics Nurses from Ohio
Honors & Awards
- Cleveland Clinic Innovator Award, 2011 and 2013
- Fellow, Healthcare Information Management Systems Society, 2012