Dawn A. Bailey, BSN, MAOM, RN, NEA-BC, is vice president, nursing and chief nursing officer for Cleveland Clinic’s Euclid Hospital. With a long-standing, tenured career at Cleveland Clinic, Bailey has accrued many years of leadership and management experience in both complex tertiary care and within the community hospital setting. In her current position, Bailey’s accomplishments are vast, including exceptional employee engagement scores, multiple certifications and recognition as a top performer on key quality metrics from The Joint Commission, and implementation of a unit-based skin care nurse program that reduced hospital acquired pressure ulcer prevalence by approximately 75 percent.
Having specialty interests in patient satisfaction and human resource management, Bailey also has a strong clinical background in a wide variety of patient care specialties from internal medicine to pulmonary medicine and more. Prior to accepting a position as director, acute care nursing at Euclid Hospital in 2002, Bailey served more than 20 years at Cleveland Clinic’s main campus location as a staff nurse, clinical instructor, head nurse, nurse manager, director of patient care services and director of medicine and maternal child nursing.
- M.A. in Organizational Management, The University of Phoenix, San Francisco, California, 1996
- B.S.N., Erie Institute of Nursing, Villa Maria College, Erie, Pennsylvania, 1981
- B.S., Mercyhurst College, Erie, Pennsylvania, 1981
- Board Certified Nurse Executive Advanced, American Nurses Credentialing Center
Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
18901 Lakeshore Boulevard
Euclid, Ohio 44110
A serving leader, Bailey aims to create a culture that supports all aspects of the nursing profession. She strives for a results-oriented environment that culminates in outstanding, quality care and an exceptional patient experience. Through clear, concise communication of relevant facts among care providers, and a shared governance model that includes nursing practice, quality and patient safety, professional development, research and evidence-based practice councils as well as unit-based, and role-specific councils, Bailey leads her team on principals that advance both the nurse and patient care.
Clinical Practice & Teaching
Bailey’s clinical experience lies within the areas of internal medicine, pulmonary medicine, infectious disease, gerontology, nephrology, gastroenterology, endocrinology and ophthalmology.
For three years, Bailey served as a clinical instructor for Cleveland Clinic’s Department of Medical Nursing. In this role, she was responsible for all orientation and staff development activities for 56 staff members on a 38-bed pulmonary/endocrinology/ophthalmology nursing unit.
Research & Publications
An experienced presenter and publisher of many printed professional works, Bailey has written and spoken on topics ranging from developing better critical paths in healthcare through the combination of best practices and a quantitative approach, implementing a system for care of patients with latex allergies, and the effect of a nursing intervention on caregivers’ satisfaction with information received during the hospital stay.
You can view Dawn's research, publications and presentations below by year or you can download a PDF of her work.
- Member, American College of Healthcare Executives
- Member, American Organization of Nurse Executives
- Member, Greater Cleveland Organization of Nurse Executives
- Secretary, Board of Trustees, Euclid Hunger Center
- Member, Cleveland Clinic East Region Board of Trustees
Honors & Awards
- Bruce Hubbard Stewart Fellow Award, Cleveland Clinic, 1997-1998
- Throughout Bailey’s tenure as chief nursing officer, Euclid Hospital has received the following honors:
- Pathway to Excellence® Recognition, American Nurses Credentialing Center, 2013
- Gold Level President’s Award for Quality, Cleveland Clinic, 2006
- Top Performer on Key Quality Measures, The Joint Commission, 2011
- Primary Stroke Center Certification, The Joint Commission, 2010
- Disease-specific Certification for Hip and Knee Joint Replacement, The Joint Commission, 2012
- Disease-specific Certification for Basic Heart Failure, The Joint Commission, 2012
- Outstanding Employee Engagement Achievement Award, Cleveland Clinic, 2011-2013
- Highest Health System Nursing Employee Engagement, Cleveland Clinic, 2011-2013