Jacqueline E. Nowlin, DNP, MBA, RN, NEA-BC, is chief nursing officer for Cleveland Clinic’s South Pointe Hospital. She is a results-oriented, high-performing nurse leader with experience in a variety of healthcare settings, including acute care, critical care, perioperative services, ambulatory care, women and children’s health, gero-psychiatry and post-acute services. Among her many professional accomplishments, Nowlin was instrumental in the strategic and operational planning for the 2016 opening of Cleveland Clinic’s Avon Hospital, a 126-bed state-of-the-art hospital.
Nowlin is committed to quality, patient safety and nursing excellence. Prior to joining South Pointe Hospital, she served as director of nursing, acute care and critical care at Avon Hospital. Under her tenure, the hospital improved the direct admission process, created a virtual consult process and integrated new technology into nursing practice. A veteran nurse with more than 45 years of experience, Nowlin spent the majority of her career at Cleveland Clinic’s Lakewood Hospital. She rose through the ranks from staff nurse to director of patient care services in 2005, a position she held until joining Avon Hospital upon its opening.
- DNP, Chamberlain University, Downers Grove, Illinois, 2017
- MBA in Healthcare, Baldwin Wallace College, Berea, Ohio, 2009
- BSN, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio, 1998
- ADN, Lorain County Community College, Lorain, Ohio, 1985
- Diploma in Licensed Practical Nursing, Lakewood School of Practical Nursing, Lakewood, Ohio, 1973
- Board Certified Advanced Nurse Executive (NEA-BC), American Nurses Credentialing Center
Cleveland Clinic South Pointe Hospital
20000 Harvard Road
Warrensville Heights, OH 44122
Nowlin is a visionary and compassionate leader, adept at guiding teams through great change. She is an excellent communicator, problem solver and strategic thinker with more than a decade of leadership experience. As nursing director, acute and critical care services at Avon Hospital, Nowlin planned and facilitated mock scenarios and drills prior to the facility opening to test workflows and all technology and information systems. While there, she also led an interdisciplinary team in establishing processes for medication management and transfer and discharge that resulted in 50 percent reduction in medications left behind. In addition, under her leadership the hospital’s CLABSI, CAUTI and fall rates were reduced in 2018.
Clinical Practice & Teaching
Nowlin’s vast clinical experience covers a range of specialties, including acute care, critical care, perioperative services, ambulatory care, women and children’s health, gero-psychiatry and post-acute services.
Committed to the professional development of the next generation of nurses, Nowlin has guided and mentored many nurses during her career as a clinical nurse manager and director of nursing.
Research & Publications
Nowlin is the primary investigator on a research project related to video education and heart failure self-care knowledge. She also served as site coordinator on the 1993 GUSTO trial comparing four thrombolytic strategies for acute myocardial infarction. Nowlin has addressed both national and local audiences on workplace culture, critical thinking and decision-making, and professional development. She shared her unique experience as part of a team that helped plan the building and operational strategy of Cleveland Clinic’s new Avon Hospital during a podium presentation at the 2017 Patient Experience Summit entitled “From Concrete to Compassion: Constructing Culture in Your New Facility.”
- Member, American Organization of Nurse Executives
- Member, Ohio Nurses Association
- Member, Greater Cleveland Organization of Nurse Executives
- Member, Academy of Medical-Surgical Nursing
- Vice President of the Board of Directors, Cogswell Hall
- Past Co-Chair, Critical Care Affinity Group representing Avon Hospital
- Member, Cleveland Clinic Health System Practice Council
Honors & Awards
- Cleveland Clinic Zielony Nursing Institute Lifetime Achievement Award, 2017
- Caregiver Celebrations CEO Teamwork Award, Cleveland Clinic, 2016
- Caregiver Celebrations Excellence Award, Cleveland Clinic, 2016
- Tier 1 Engagement Leader, Cleveland Clinic, 2015
- YMCA Women of Professional Excellence Award, 2011
- Jan Nesta Award for Nursing Leadership, Cleveland Clinic Lakewood Hospital, 2008
- Service Excellence Team Leader Award, Cleveland Clinic Lakewood Hospital, 2005