Number of Students
Jessica Krizo, PhD
Research Coordinator, Emergency Medicine and Trauma
1 Akron General Ave
Akron, Ohio 44307
- Farid Muakkassa, MD, FACS — Clinical Professor of Surgery
- Robert A. Marley, MD, FACS — Clinical Associate Professor of Surgery
- Ali Mallat, MD, MS, FACS — Clinical Assistant Professor of Surgery
- William Leukhardt, MD, FACS
- Jessica Krizo, PhD — Research Coordinator, Trauma and Emergency Medicine
- Joseph Gabra, D.Eng. — Research Coordinator, Surgical Specialties
(Note: Student experiences will vary based on topic and progress of research at any given time.)
- Student will be able to utilize research tools and conduct literature reviews.
- Student will be able to identify different types of literature and how to appropriately use them.
- Student will gain knowledge of the stages of clinical research.
- Students will work toward possible publication of a case report, poster, or manuscript.
Student will complete various components of scholarly activity (see description) involving a high degree of self- study (reading, writing, data collection; under the guidance of clinical and research faculty), attend Trauma/Emergency Medicine/Surgery Conferences, and shadow trauma surgeons.
Evaluations will be conducted jointly between the clinical and research faculty, with the research faculty issuing the final evaluation. Student evaluations will be based on the following categories.
The Trauma Surgery Research elective allows students to gain experience in the methodology of clinical research under the guidance of clinical and research faculty. The stages of the process that students will participate in will depend on the status of the study and, when possible, the student’s interests. Work may include literature reviews, data collection, chart reviews, and data analysis. Students will also attend appropriate institutional Trauma/Surgical/Emergency Medicine meetings, journal clubs, and lectures as the timing of rotations allow.