Number of Students
Director & Teaching Faculty
Farid F. Muakkassa, MD, FACS — Clinical Professor of Surgery
Ali F. Mallat, MD
William Leukhardt, MD
1 Akron General Ave.
Akron, Ohio 44307
- To introduce the management of the short- and long-term ventilated patients, with understanding of the effects of sedation, muscle relaxants and bronchodilator therapy on the mechanics of breathing.
- To introduce monitoring the hemodynamic, respiratory, renal and metabolic function, their interactions and manipulations.
- To introduce basic skills of the invasive and non-invasive monitoring.
- To introduce ethical, legal, economical and administrative aspects of critical care.
- Medical students will participate in all the teaching activities of the SCCS which include: participation in daily morning (9 a.m.) and afternoon (3 p.m.) teaching rounds with the SCCS residents and attending physician.
- Attend daily didactic lectures and discussions held at 2 p.m. Monday-Friday. A list of topics is distributed to help cover a wide range of lectures and discussions.
- Required to attend the morning teaching conferences of the Department of Surgery, the surgical Morbidity and Mortality conference and Grand Rounds or Surgery/Oncology Conferences.
- Receive introduction to sterile techniques and technical skills needed for insertion of intravenous lines, arterial lines and other catheters provided under resident and staff supervision.
- A wealth of reading material in the form of articles will be provided to students. Major textbooks in critical care are available in the library and the Surgical Intensive Care Unit (SICU).
Night Call/Special Requirements