Why Donate to Cleveland Clinic Akron General?
Helping, healing and making a difference in the lives of others are at the heart of healthcare and the work of the Akron General Foundation. We are a 501-C3 tax-exempt organization, which encourages and accepts gifts made to Cleveland Clinic Akron General, Lodi Hospital and Visiting Nurse Service, including the hospice care program.
These charitable donations can express gratitude for excellent care received; gifts that honor a friend, relative or caregiver, go toward research for diseases such as cancer and heart disease; or gifts that in other ways invite you to play a part in improving the health of our community.
When you donate to Akron General, whether to our hospitals or other health system members, one hundred percent of your designated contribution goes directly to the programs and services that serve our patients and their families. Charitable hospital donations go toward research and education along with helping people with illnesses such as cancer and heart disease. All donations raised locally stay local to support Akron General.
Charitable hospital donations benefit patients and the health our communities by:
- Offering patients dynamic programs and services
- Investing in the latest technology
- Making capital improvements to enhance the environments of our hospital
- Funding medical research
- Ensuring ongoing education for healthcare professions
- Providing valuable health information to our patients
Become part of our mission and vision by joining the Akron General family of friends and supporters.
Learn how you can:
Support Akron General's current campaigns:
Paint the Park Pink / Muffins for Mammograms
Everyone’s favorite Muffins for Mammograms® bake sale is back again this year – but in a new way! Cleveland Clinic Akron General has teamed up with the City of Akron, Main Street Gourmet, Rubber City Radio Group (WAKR, WQMX and WONE), and Stewart’s Caring Place in kicking off Breast Cancer Awareness Month in October with “Paint the Park Pink” on Saturday, Oct. 6, 10 a.m. - noon, at Lock 3.
Light Up a Life
Pay tribute to those we remember and love this holiday season by hanging a gold star on a “Light Up a Life” Hospice Memory Tree. All proceeds provide comfort care for those at the end of life and bereavement support for their loved ones.
Honor Your Caregiver
Say thank you to a caregiver who has made a difference to you. 100 percent of your gift will stay local to support Akron General capital projects, purchase equipment and fund important patient care initiatives. Check back soon for details on our 2019 campaign.
Make a Donation Online
Every donation made to Akron General is an investment in the future of healthcare for your family, your neighbors and your community. All donations raised locally stay local to support your designation of choice.
How Donations are Managed
The Akron General Foundation Board of Trustees is comprised of 25 community leaders who oversee the management of the Foundation. Akron General Foundation’s funds, managed by local financial institutions, are invested to obtain the highest, yet safest, yield possible. Requests for funding support are made by the individual departments within the Health System including Akron General Medical Center, Lodi Hospital, Hospice of Visiting Nurse Service and Visiting Nurse Service. To date, Akron General's Foundation has provided more than $102 million to various programs and services. Your gifts have made this possible.
Donor Bill of Rights
Philanthropy is based on voluntary action for the common good. It is a tradition of giving and sharing that is primary to the quality of life. To assure that philanthropy merits the respect and trust of the general public, and that donors and prospective donors can have full confidence in the not-for-profit organizations and causes they are asked to support, we declare that all donors have these rights:
- To be informed of the organization's mission, of the way the organization intends to use donated resources, and of its capacity to use donations effectively for their intended purposes.
- To be informed of the identify of those serving on the organization's governing board, and to expect the board to exercise prudent judgment in its stewardship responsibilities.
- To have access to the organization's most recent financial statements.
- To be assured their gifts will be used for the purposes for which they were given.
- To receive appropriate acknowledgment and recognition.
- To be assured that information about their donations is handled with respect and with confidentiality to the extent provided by law.
- To expect that all relationships with individuals representing organizations of interest to the donor will be professional in nature.
- To be informed whether those seeking donations are volunteers, employees of the organization or hired solicitors.
- To have the opportunity for their names to be deleted from mailing lists that an organization may intend to share.
- To feel free to ask questions when making a donation and to receive prompt, truthful and forthright answers.
About the Donor Bill of Rights
The Donor Bill of Rights was created by: the American Association of Fund Raising Counsel (AAFRC); Association for Healthcare Philanthropy (AHP); Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE); and Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP).
It has been endorsed by the following organizations: Independent Sector National Catholic Development Conference (NCDC); National Committee on Planned Giving (NCPG); National Council for Resource Development (NCRD); and United Way of America.
Board of Directors
Our dedicated Akron General Foundation Board of Directors, along with the Foundation staff, works with Akron General leadership, physicians and employees to inspire charitable giving to Akron General. Our Board of Directors is comprised of a distinguished group of local business and community leaders who give generously of their time and expertise to oversee the philanthropic activities of the Foundation.
- Gregory Bean, AGF Board Chair
- Cindy Johnson, AGF Vice Chair
- Lawrence Barger, MD
- Charles Billow
- John Carpas
- William Costigan, Emeritus
- Carol Davis, Ex Officio - Women's Board President
- Krista Dobronos
- William Downing
- Andrew Fenton, MD
- David Frigo, AGF Treasurer
- Richard Harris
- Brian Harte, MD, President - Cleveland Clinic Akron General
- Theresa Holthaus, Cleveland Clinic Representative
- J. Stephen Jones, MD, Cleveland Clinic Representative
- Lara Kalafatis - Cleveland Clinic Representative
- Mark Lerner, Ex Officio - AGHS Board of Trustees
- Margaret Lloyd
- Dee Lowery
- Tim Merryweather
- Mark Mosley
- Sue Omori, Cleveland Clinic Representative
- Rory O'Neil
- William Parry
- Lori Posk, MD, Cleveland Clinic Representative
- Catherine Sheridan, MD, Cleveland Clinic Representative
- Kathy Stafford, PhD
- Harold White, MD
Give a Gift
Find out how making a gift to the Akron General Foundation is an investment in the future of healthcare for your family, neighbors and community.
Attend or Support an Event
From Light Up a Life to Mammograms for Mammograms, discover opportunities to become involved with events to support Akron General.
Become a Corporate Partner
Find out how to become a corporate partner with Akron General.