Why Choose Us
Our colorectal surgeons perform more than 5,000 surgical procedures annually, including an average of 500 laparoscopic intestinal resections, 260 operations to treat Crohn’s disease, and 170 ileal pouch-anal anastomosis (IPAA) surgeries.
DDI colorectal surgeons performed the world’s first total proctocolectomy and ileoanal pouch procedure with a single-incision.
The Digestive Disease Institute performs the world's highest volume of J-pouch procedures and is the nation's largest referral center for repairing pelvic pouches.
Our surgeons use the latest in diagnostic and treatment options, including transanal endoscopic microsurgery and intraoperative radiotherapy.
DDI colorectal surgeons utilize various surgical methods to avoid a permanent colostomy in the treatment of rectal cancer. These options include:
- Transanal excision
- Radical excision of the rectum with anastomosis of the colon to the anus
- Colonic J pouch
DDI houses the largest institutional registries for inherited colon cancer- David G. Jagelman Inherited Colorectal Cancer Registries- in the United States and the second largest in the world.
Cleveland Clinic was the birthplace of Enterostomal Therapy/Wound Ostomy, Continence Nursing nearly 50 years ago. DDI's Wound Ostomy Continence Nursing School was the first of its kind in the world.
Colorectal surgeons avoid a permanent colostomy in approximately 80% of rectal cancer cases.
On a national level the Department of Colorectal Surgery mortality index and length of stay are considerably below expected norms.
Our long term outcomes are among the best in the world, with some of the lowest rates of recurrence of rectal cancer.
What We Treat
Cleveland Clinic’s colorectal surgeons have extensive experience in treating patients with:
Treatments & Procedures
The Department of Colorectal Surgery offers comprehensive treatment options and services including:
- Laparoscopic Colon Surgery
- Anal Fistula Repair (including Anal Fistula Plug and Endorectal Advancement Flap)
- Antegrade Colonic Enema for chronic constipation
- Doppler-Guided Hemorrhoid Ligation
- Enterostomal Therapy
- High-Risk Hereditary Colon Cancer Clinic
- Ileal-anal (Pelvic) Pouch Surgery, J-Pouch, and K-Pouch
- Laparoscopic Proctosigmoidectomy: Basic Surgical Steps
- Laparoscopic Ileocolectomy: Basic Surgical Steps
- Laparoscopic Fecal Diversion: Basic Surgical Steps
- Pouchitis Clinic
- Single Incision Laparoscopic Surgery
- Single-Port Laparoscopic Colectomy
- Surgical treatment of fecal incontinence
- Transanal endoscopic microsurgery
- Turnbull-Cutait Procedure
- View a full list of our services.
Make an Appointment
To find a colorectal specialist for your needs, contact the Digestive Disease Institute at 216.444.7000 (or toll-free 1.800.223.2273, ext. 47000).
For More Information
- Visit our Colon Cancer Clinic for patients with a dominantly inherited colon cancer syndrome who require multi-specialty care.
- Visit the Weiss Center, the largest institutional registries for inherited colon cancer in the United States and the second largest in the world.
- Learn more about the R.B. Turnbull, Jr. MD, School of WOC Nursing.