The Gastroparesis Clinic was developed out of the need to improve as well as advance treatment options for gastroparesis. We use a multidisciplinary approach to increase the success of treatment as well as improve patient experience. The team includes gastroenterology, surgery, behavioral medicine, nutrition and nursing. We work closely together to determine the appropriate therapy for each individual patient. One of the benefits of our clinic is that patients have exposure to all modalities available to treat gastroparesis. Along with the endoscopic approach there are medical therapies available. In addition, as part of the initial evaluation we do a thorough and complete workup of the entire gastrointestinal tract to make sure that gastroparesis is the real issue. As part of the evaluation the patient will undergo various blood tests as well as further motility testing so as to confirm and improve on the diagnosis.
Why patients should come to Cleveland Clinic for Gastroparesis diagnosis/treatment
- Access to FDA-approved programs for Domperidone (motilium)and Propulsid (cisapride).
- National leader in endoscopic therapy for gastroparesis.
- Smart Pill testing used to assess motility and function of the stomach, small intestine and colon, used to more accurately diagnose and treat GI motility disorders.
- Specialized blood testing to rule out autoimmune neuropathies that affect the nervous system of the digestive tract and cause Autoimmune Gastrointestinal Dysmotility.
- Access to surgeons that specialize in Gastroparesis related surgeries including the per oral endoscopic pyloromyotomy (POP), an endoscopic procedure where a surgeon cuts the pylorus, a muscular valve that empties the stomach, without the need of an invasive surgical approach. The procedure is performed through the mouth using an endoscopic technique and results in improved emptying capability of the stomach.
- Ability to coordinate surgical and gastroenterology appointment on same day, and in the same location, which allows the surgeons and GI physician the opportunity to discuss and collaborate on the patient’s case.
- One on one nurse patient education for every new patient including diet, medication and testing information.
- Access to our registered dieticians and nutrition team.
What We Treat
- Involved in treatment of global intestinal dysmotility
The initial evaluation is typically performed by the gastroenterologist and includes a large battery of blood tests to look for etiologies of gastroparesis. The wireless motility capsule (smart pill) is widely used to evaluate the intestinal motility and to confirm the diagnosis of gastroparesis. This is typically a repeat visit due to requiring insurance approval. Based on the patient’s prior evaluation and treatment the patient is frequently also seen by surgery.
Certain medications may be prescribed to help manage gastroparesis, or decrease symptoms. After all test results are available a plan of care will be established based on the results. The patient will be instructed on diet, medications and further care by the nurse coordinator.
Appointments & Locations
Prior to scheduling, all new patients are required to have an abnormal gastric emptying study (preferably a 4-hour gastric emptying study) . The gastric emptying study and any GI related testing should be faxed to Michael Cline, D.O. at 216-636-5892 for review and to be accepted into the program. This is done to make sure that the patient is scheduled with the appropriate providers prior to the visit.
The patient will then be contacted by the office to schedule the appointment. Any questions call 216-491-7853, option 4 to speak with the office.
Meet Our Team
What can I eat?
The purpose of the gastroparesis diet is to reduce symptoms and maintain nutrition, by limiting high fiber and fat foods. High fats can slow the stomach and should be avoided. Try to consume low fat, non fat and fat free options. Fiber also slows stomach emptying. A four-stage diet will be introduced to the patient and reviewed during initial visit in the Gastroparesis Clinic.
Download PDF Guides