At Akron General, we understand how important access to comprehensive speech and language pathology services are to our patients and their families. That's why we work with our patients to accommodate their needs, whether they are an inpatient, outpatient or transitioning patient. We also know that our patients will have questions, which is why we focus on educating and supporting our patients and their families throughout their therapy at Akron General.
In addition, our therapists often work collaboratively with physical and occupational therapists, as some patients require multiple therapies. For instance, stroke victims often require physical therapy, occupational therapy and speech therapy. Speech and language pathology is an integral aspect of rehabilitation and our therapists are committed to working together to maximize our patients' outcomes.
Akron General's Speech & Language Pathology Department treats common speech and language disorders, as well as common medical conditions that cause speech, language or swallowing disorders.
Akron General's team of speech and language pathologists oversees patients' care from start to finish and works closely with patients and their families from diagnosis throughout treatment to provide individualized care. Speech and language pathologists, following an evaluation, develop individualized treatment plans for patients diagnosed with:
- Aphasia (language impairment typically resulting from a stroke or brain injury. It affects comprehension, expressive language, reading and writing).
- Autism/Asperger syndrome.
- Dysarthria (slurred speech due to weakened oral musculature).
- Dysphonia (hoarse voice due to misuse of the vocal cords or surgery).
- Disfluency (stuttering).
- Dysphagia (difficulty swallowing).
- Delayed speech, articulation disorders or receptive/expressive language disorders in children.
- Cleft lip/palate, craniofacial abnormalities and other diseases/traumas affecting the facial parts necessary for speaking.
- Voice impairments or loss.
- Learning disabilities or communication disorders as a result of being mentally challenged.
- Deaf or hard of hearing.
Common medical conditions that cause speech, language or swallowing disorders:
- CVA (stroke).
- TBI (traumatic brain injury).
- Parkinson's disease.
- Alzheimer's disease.
- Vocal nodules, polyps or paralysis.
- Head and neck cancer.
- Cerebral palsy.
- Brain tumors.
- Multiple sclerosis.
Speech and language pathology services at Akron General include:
- Evaluating and diagnosing speech and language disorders in infants, children and adults. Services for children are available at Akron General Rehabilitation and Sports Therapy, located at the Health & Wellness Centers located in Montrose, Stow and Green as well as White Pond, Lakemore and Grant Street.
- Speech and language pathologists develop individualized treatment plans for adults and children who need services.
- Selecting and implementing augmentative and alternative communication devices.
Qualified speech pathologists provide speech and language therapy at Akron General. A physician's referral is required for patients to receive therapy.