Urologists at Cleveland Clinic Akron General offer evaluation, consultation and treatment for a wide range of adult urologic issues, including urinary infections, female pelvic health issues, incontinence, kidney stones, infertility and cancer. A team of board-certified and fellowship-trained urologists from Cleveland Clinic’s Glickman Urological & Kidney Institute provides care at several convenient Akron-area locations.
Cleveland Clinic Akron General Urology provides a full range of urological care. Our treatment capabilities include:
- Kidney Cancer: Partial nephrectomy is as effective as total nephrectomy in treating kidney cancer but spares the kidney by removing only the cancerous portion. We have extensive experience in partial nephrectomy, and offer an open technique for complex cases as well as a minimally invasive approach that reduces postoperative pain, shortens hospital stays and hastens a return to normal activities.
- Prostate Cancer: We provide advanced local anesthesia techniques for prostate biopsy to avoid pain associated with the procedure. We offer various surgical techniques to remove the prostate, including minimally invasive robotic radical prostatectomy.
- Bladder cancer: We use the robotic platform to remove the bladder, keeping incisions to a minimum and substantially reducing postoperative pain and recovery time. We also offer complete robotic urinary diversions, in addition to the standard open techniques, providing a wide array of options for the treatment of bladder cancer.
- Testes Cancer: We provide surveillance for low-stage disease and both primary and post- chemotherapy retroperitoneal lymph node dissection for appropriate patients.
We treat women with all genitourinary disorders, including complex bladder, urethral and vaginal reconstructive problems, urinary incontinence and pelvic organ prolapse.
Benign prostatic hyperplasiaWe offer many minimally invasive treatment options, including therapies using laser, microwave and radiofrequency technologies. Other surgical options include transurethral resection of the prostate and transurethral needle ablation. Many procedures can be performed on an outpatient basis and have minimal catheterization times. MR/TRUS fusion guided prostate biopsy performed in the office setting. This leading-edge technology provides improved detection of clinically significant prostate tumors. Software fuses magnetic resonance images of suspicious lesions with real-time transrectal ultrasound, allowing direct targeting and tracking of biopsy needles and enabling access to areas not sampled by traditional 12 core random biopsy. Fusion guided prostate biopsy has improved sensitivity and specificity for finding cancers that need to be treated
Sperm bankingOur NextGen SM Home Sperm Banking Service allows cancer patients and others who want to preserve future fertility to collect semen samples in the privacy of home, rather than coming to a fertility lab. Specimens are shipped to Cleveland Clinic’s main campus Andrology Laboratory and Reproductive Tissue Bank for long-term cryostorage.
Endourology and stone diseaseWe specialize in managing kidney stones with medication. We also offer all forms of stone surgery, including shock wave lithotripsy, a relatively noninvasive and highly successful procedure that uses targeted pulses to break stones into tiny pieces that pass naturally in the urine. For more complicated stone disease, we offer endoscopic and percutaneous kidney stone surgery with laser lithotripsy, as well as ureteroscopy with extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy, if appropriate.
Sexual function and vasectomyWe have extensive experience evaluating and treating sexual problems related to infertility and to illnesses such as cancer, diabetes and heart disease. Treatments offered include hormonal therapy, nonsurgical techniques to treat erection problems, penile prostheses and reconstructive surgery to correct penile or vaginal abnormalities. We can also quickly accommodate patients needing vasectomy evaluation and procedures.
In-office proceduresIn addition to the many procedures already mentioned, your patients can benefit from outpatient options in our office:
- BCG treatment.
- Cystoscopy (including stent removal).
- Lupron injections.
- Prostate ultrasound biopsy.
- Prostate Urodynamics.
- Testosterone injections.
- Uroflow/bladder ultrasound.
Appointments & Locations
Cleveland Clinic Akron General urologists offer appointments at several convenient locations. Please call 330.864.8008 for more information or to schedule an appointment.