Akron General’s Breast Health Center has provided rapid diagnosis for women with breast problems, such as palpable lumps, nipple discharge, pain and abnormal findings on digital or 3D screening mammograms. Our doctors take great pride in that they can typically get patients diagnosed within one to two days of being seen, if not the same day. They know that waiting for an answer is very stressful for patients, and they are committed to getting patients answers quickly.
In addition, each breast cancer patient is assigned a specially trained Breast Health Navigator to help provide education, support and answer any questions throughout the course of care. Patients also have the opportunity to explore additional services including social work, physical therapy, psycho-oncology, genetic counseling, financial aid counseling, art therapy and survivorship services.
The Breast Health Center is fully accredited by the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers through the American College of Surgeons. The radiology service is an American College of Radiology Imaging Center of Excellence.
Looking for more information about breast cancer?
Mammogram Screening Guidelines
Innovative Breast Surgery and Reconstructive Techniques
Because surgery is often the first line of treatment for breast disease, our surgical team works closely with other specialists to focus on emerging techniques and the collaborative care necessary to deliver them. With this approach, we are able to spare breast tissue, reduce damage to healthy structures and shorten the course of treatment.
Breast cancer surgery is often combined with chemotherapy, radiation therapy, hormone therapy, or varying combinations of these for the best possible outcome. Multidisciplinary and tumor site-specific disciplinary groups ensure state-of-the-art technology and treatment for each patient. You can have confidence in knowing that delivering comprehensive care, from diagnosis to treatment in a timely manner, and identifying the most effective and appropriate care plan for the individual were the founding purposes for our center.
The Breast Health Center uses minimally invasive techniques and follows national guidelines to employ breast-conserving techniques whenever possible. Our surgical team includes fellowship trained breast surgeons who offer experience in procedures ranging from lumpectomy to mastectomies with reconstruction, in addition to nipple sparing techniques and other innovative reconstructive procedures that provide a more natural result. Breast procedures offered at Akron General include, but are not limited to:
- Lumpectomy or partial mastectomy
- Mastectomy, including simple, skin sparing and nipple sparing
- Microsurgical anastamosis flap reconstruction or DIEP (deep inferior epigastric perforator) flap
- Oncoplastic approaches
- Partial Breast Irradiation in selected cases
- Axillary reverse mapping to reduce lymphedema
High-Risk Breast Clinic
The center also includes a special High-Risk Breast Clinic for women who are known or suspected to be at increased risk for breast cancer. In addition to the Akron General team, genetic counselors from Cleveland Clinic's Genomic Medicine Institute are also consulted. Women are screened and advised of treatment options and potential preventative steps they can take to help offset any increased risk.
In addition to breast surgery, we offer comprehensive breast care, including a full range of state-of-the-art diagnostic services.
- More than 30 years of quality breast care, close to home.
- Six screening locations with all-digital technology (Akron, Bath, Green, Stow, Tallmadge, Lodi).
- One comprehensive imaging site, which offers diagnostic mammograms, screening mammograms, ultrasound, MRI, image-guided biopsies and new 3D/tomosynthesis mammography.
- Rapid diagnosis and treatment planning as a result of a multidisciplinary team approach.
- A certified breast care nurse (CBCN) to assist the patient through the care process and work with referring physicians.
- Information about ongoing clinical trials and new treatment options.
- Access to large clinical trials.
- Multidisciplinary input for 100% of breast cancer cases at weekly breast tumor board conferences, so there’s no delay in helping our patients get the most appropriate treatment quickly.
- Our evidence-based treatment guidelines are provided by the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) and Cleveland Clinic Care Paths.
- Additional services including physical therapy targeted toward lymphedema, psycho-oncology, financial aid counseling and art therapy.
- Survivorship visits that provide assessment and education to patients after the completion of treatment.
- Andrew H. Fenton, MD - Director - Surgical Breast Center
- Robert A. Marley, MD
- Amanda M. Mendiola, MD - Program Director Breast Surgery Oncology Fellowship
- Mary K. Murray, MD
- William C. Papouras, MD
Advanced Practice Registered Nurse / Certified Nurse Practitioner / Survivorship Navigator
- Amy Cordova, MSN, APRN-CNP, OCN
Breast Health Care Coordinator
- Kathy Lukity RN, BSN, CBCN
- Kimberly S. Monteith, MD - Diagnostic Radiology
We offer digital mammography at each location for crystal-clear images in just a few seconds with less radiation exposure. In addition, we offer 3D/tomosynthesis mammography at the Akron and Green locations.
To schedule an appointment, call 330.344.2778, or complete an online appointment request form.
We welcome individuals with or without a physician's referral, but be sure to check with your healthcare plan.
Heredity often plays a role in who will develop breast cancer. For peace of mind, Akron General Reflections Breast Health Center offers a High-Risk Clinic for women at an elevated risk for breast cancer.
We know that certain changes, such as mutations in the BRCA1 and BRCA2 gene significantly increase the chance of developing breast cancer. If you or someone you know has had an immediate (mother, sister, daughter) or secondary family member (grandmother, aunt, cousin) with breast cancer, you may be at risk.
During the first visit to the High-Risk Clinic for breast cancer, we will review family history and help determine if additional testing may be beneficial in understanding the risk. For those who are determined to be at high risk, we will work with your doctor to offer recommendations for ongoing monitoring, education and support. As health insurance plan coverage varies, we would be happy to provide you with information. For more details, or to set up an appointment, call 330.344.2778.
Who's at Risk?
There are many factors that put an individual at an increased risk for breast cancer. A person may benefit from our high-risk service if they have:
- A family member diagnosed with breast cancer before age 50
- More than one family member diagnosed with breast or ovarian cancer
- A male relative with breast cancer
- Abnormal cells found during a breast biopsy
- Had radiation to the chest, neck or underarms
- A history of BRCA-1 or BRCA-2 gene mutations in family members
- Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry
Akron General is proud to partner with The Center for Personalized Genetic Healthcare (CPGH) at Cleveland Clinic to provide genetic counseling to individuals with a personal and/or family history of cancer. To schedule an appointment, please call 330.344.2771. You will need to obtain a physician referral prior to requesting an appointment. Referrals can be faxed to 330.344.0071.
Muffins for Mammograms
Because more than 200,000 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer this year, we understand the importance of breast cancer screenings. Women living in Summit County who are uninsured or under-insured may qualify for mammography assistance through Akron General’s Muffins for Mammograms®.
Cleveland Clinic Akron General, Main Street Gourmet and 94.9 WQMX raise funds during the month of October, National Breast Cancer Awareness Month, to help offset the cost.
Who qualifies for a free mammogram?
There is no age limit, however, a person must meet the following guidelines to qualify for one free screening mammogram yearly through the Muffins for Mammograms program:
- Have a primary care physician to whom the results can be sent
- Have a written order from your primary care physician
- No form of insurance coverage
- Be scheduled at an Akron General Reflections Breast Health Center
If you do not have a primary care physician, visit our Find A Doctor tool for a list of primary care physicians.
Muffins for Mammograms® is a trademark of Main Street Gourmet, Inc. and is used under license by Cleveland Clinic Akron General. All money raised by or through, or donated to, the Muffins for Mammograms program is managed and distributed by Cleveland Clinic Akron General Foundation to provide mammograms to women in the community.