Our Sports Performance team creates a training plan to meet the personal, fitness and/or athletic goals of our members through strength and conditioning training. Member growth is fostered in a positive and progressive environment. Backed by Akron General’s sports medicine network, our coaches blend researched performance training techniques with our medical fitness advantage to improve athleticism and help you stay injury-free.
We offer three unique performance training programs designed to meet your specific needs:
- Athletic Sports Performance.
- Adult Strength and Conditioning.
- Return to Sport.
Regardless of your current training experience, our programs suit anyone looking to improve their athletic performance or train in a challenging, fast-paced environment.
Our strength and conditioning coaches are degreed and certified to work with a variety of athletes – no matter your sport, age or fitness level. Coaching is provided in a small group setting.
Athlete Sports Performance
For high school and middle school athletes
In this program, we build dominant, injury-resilient athletes.
- Our athletes train in 75-minute custom workouts crafted to maximize athletic performance and reinforce optimal biomechanics so that they enter competition with the competitive edge in all aspects.
- Through a combination of sport-based movement training and expertly supervised weightlifting, athletes will improve speed, agility, power and strength in preparation for any sport.
- Athletes of all levels – from beginners to varsity – will benefit from this program.
Annual speed and agility camps to benefit performance and fine-tune movement mechanics are hosted for athletes of all ages. Request more information below.
Adult Strength and Conditioning
For adults 18 years and older
Our adult strength and conditioning sessions use a comprehensive fitness model to increase muscle mass, shed body fat and age-proof your body.
- We help adults of any age increase overall fitness by blending training techniques to boost metabolism and enhance strength, power, mobility, endurance, flexibility and balance.
- Each training session is fast-paced, targeting the full body to keep you mentally and physically engaged with support from your peers and coach.
Return to Sport
For athletes who have completed formal physical therapy for a sport-related injury
Return to Sport is a comprehensive, challenging, professionally supervised training plan.
- A personalized plan prepares the athlete for a successful return to their sport or active lifestyle.
- Each participant receives a unique training program.
- The program is coordinated with your physical therapy team – according to specific injury and fitness level – focusing on functional strength, mobility, dynamic stability, power, endurance and sport-specific agility. Recovering athletes at any level, competitive and recreational, are eligible to participate.
Meet our Coaches
Mary Catherine Powers BS, MA CSCS SCCC TPI Level 1
Mary Catherine (MC) has a passion for coaching and teaching athletes of all ages to help them succeed at the highest level. With previous experience as a collegiate strength and conditioning coach, she knows what it takes to train at the next level. MC earned her undergraduate degree in Exercise Science from the University of Mount Union and holds a Master’s degree in Sports and Recreation Management from Kent State University. She is also a Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS) through the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA).
Jon Ayala, BS, ACSM-CPT, CSCS
Jon has served in various roles at Cleveland Clinic, which established his career in strength and conditioning. Jon holds two nationally accredited certifications as a personal trainer (ACSM-CPT) and strength and conditioning specialist (NSCA-CSCS). His professional training experience has been developed across diverse environments, including collegiate athletics, physical therapy and commercial fitness.
Jenna Werking, MS, PTA, CSCS, CSPS, USAW
Jenna motivates individuals to reach their highest physical potential. She earned a Master's degree in Exercise Physiology and is a licensed Physical Therapist Assistant (PTA). Jenna is also a Certified Level 1 United States of America Weightlifting (USAW) Coach, a Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS) and a Certified Special Population Specialist (CSPS) through the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA). She has an extensive background in training athletes of all ages along with critical knowledge of injury prevention and rehabilitation.
Kyle Maxwell BS, CSCS
With a passion for coaching and passing on knowledge, Kyle strives to help each athlete achieve their personal goals. Kyle earned his undergraduate degree in Exercise Science from Kent State University and is also a Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS) through the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA). With his previous coaching high school football, Kyle works with athletes to build their athletic tool box in order to reach their maximum potential.
Mackenzie Perttu BS, MS, CSCS
Mackenzie’s passion lies in coaching and helping athletes of all ages and sports reach their full potential. She strives to help athletes prevent injury, increase speed, strength, and agility, and build confidence in their field of play. Mackenzie earned her Bachelor's degree in Psychology and Master’s degree in Kinesiology from Michigan Technological University. She is also a Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS) through the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA).
Locations & Appointments
To schedule an appointment, call:
- 330.665.8233 for the Health & Wellness Center, Bath
- 330.896.5043 for the Health & Wellness Center, Green
- 330.945.3183 for the Health & Wellness Center, Stow
Email us at [email protected] for any questions about our Sport Performance training programs.
May 10, 2022
"I want to pursue athletic or personal training as a career... the program has benefitted me and it’s inspired me to want to help others.”