Cleveland Clinic Akron General Sports Medicine specializes in sports-related conditions. Our sports medicine doctors have extensive training in sports medicine injury diagnosis and treatment. They work together to evaluate and treat patients on an individual basis. Each year, they help hundreds of people recover from sports-related injuries.
When to seek sports medicine care
Any time your active lifestyle causes an injury, you can trust Akron General Sports Medicine for your care.
Our sports medicine specialists believe all athletes deserve the very best sports-related care and treatment that’s one-on-one and state of the art. Our sports medicine specialists work with local athletic programs to treat injuries and improve future performance. We specialize in the treatment of athletes of all ages, levels and sports.
Just because you’re not engaged in serious or competitive sports when you sustain an injury, it doesn’t mean you shouldn’t seek a sports medicine professional’s opinion. We believe that everyone is an athlete in their own way. Discomfort from seemingly innocent activities — like walking the dog, jogging and working around the house — can lead to more serious and complicated problems if they aren’t properly addressed.
There’s no need to worry about getting a referral ahead of time: call us for an appointment right away. Our Sports Medicine doctors will also keep your primary care physician (PCP) informed of your visits and treatment.
Akron General Sports Medicine doctors treat a variety of conditions, including:
- Acute and overuse injuries, like:
- Arthritis (joint inflammation).
- Chronic or acute illnesses, such as:
- Chronic muscle injuries.
- Torn ligaments
- Broken bones.
- Damaged cartilage.
- Complex shoulder problems related to and dislocation.
- Complex throwing-related problems in your shoulder and elbow.
- Hip impingement.
- Joint cartilage problems, especially involving the knee and elbow.
- Throwing and overuse injuries.
Treatments and Services
The treatments and services we provide for sports-related conditions include:
Appointments & Locations
To schedule an appointment, call 330.344.2663.
Our board-certified and fellowship-trained sports medicine doctors are available at convenient locations in Summit and Stark counties.
Athletic Training Services
Programs for High School Athletic Departments
- On-site Sports Medicine coverage: Our physicians, athletic trainers and physical therapist provide on-site medical coverage year-round at high schools and community athletic events.
- Pre-season physicals: We offer pre-participation physical evaluations for high school athletes every spring and fall. Students receive complete orthopaedic evaluations — including musculoskeletal exams and flexibility checks — by physicians, athletic trainers and physical therapists. We also provide cardiovascular tests and body fat measurements for your athletes upon request.
- Full-time athletic trainer package: This arrangement provides full-time athletic trainer coverage for a high school athletic calendar year. Injured athletes also have immediate access to Akron General Sports Medicine physicians.
- Continuing education: Continuing education programs that meet Ohio State High School Athletic Association educational requirements are available for coaches several times a year. Educational seminars are available for skiers, runners, soccer players, high school athletes, cyclists and others to teach injury prevention and treatment, conditioning techniques and nutrition. Our sports medicine professionals also speak to groups.
Special Event Medical Coverage
Having a community 5K run or walk? We can also provide on-site medical coverage at community athletic events. Ask us about the type of coverage that’s right for your event.