At Akron General, we understand that part of staying well is keeping up with your nutritional needs. Our department of Food and Nutrition Services can help provide resources, educational programming and one-on-one consultations to help. Our goal is to be your partner on the nutritional road to wellness.
Proper nutrition not only contributes to a healthy weight, but also to an overall state of wellness. A balanced and nutritious diet can help reduce your risk for developing certain chronic diseases, including diabetes, cardiovascular disease, osteoporosis, certain types of cancer and obesity. Benefits of nutritional wellness, both physical and mental, can improve your health and your quality of life.
Waiting to help is a team of registered and licensed dieticians who understand the importance of working together to develop an individualized plan for each and every patient. Akron General offers both hospital and community-based programs in order to meet your needs.
Nutrition Counseling provides patients, who have a referral from their physician, with a personalized plan concerning weight control, disease prevention, disease management for diabetes and overall better health. This type of counseling also helps to increase your knowledge of nutrition basics.
A registered and licensed dietitian will meet with you to discuss your individual needs. After assessing your nutrition and health status, the dietician will then develop and individualized nutrition plan for you and your lifestyle.
Medical Nutrition Therapy
Medical Nutrition Therapy involves a more in-depth assessment process, compared to Nutrition Counseling, including blood work. Practiced by Ohio's Registered Licensed Dietitians, the program is divided into three parts: nutrition screening, assessment and treatment.
- During the Nutrition Screening, the dietician will identify risk factors for individuals of all ages, which may indicate a need for further assessment and treatment or education.
- During the Nutritional Assessment, the dietician examines a person's nutritional status, including laboratory results of blood work, weight/height relationship, weight loss/gain, appetite, food intolerance and allergies, as well as other factors that can influence one's nutrition status. Methods to enhance nutritional intake will be recommended and educational needs identified.
- During Nutritional Treatment, counseling and education are essential for nutritional lifestyle changes to occur. Treatment focus on applying this information through proper meal planning, label reading, recipe conversions and portion control is the ultimate goal.
Programs, Classes & Events
Akron General is pleased to offer a variety of programs, classes and one-time events that focus on nutrition and wellness.
Akron General offers a free Speakers Bureau, which includes physicians, nurses, dietitians and wellness professionals. Nutrition topics include weight control, nutritional guidelines and dietary tips for wellness. Contact our Speakers Bureau at 330.344.1442 if you’d like more information or to schedule a speaker for your group, business or organizational meeting.
Patients are referred to Food and Nutrition Services by their physician. Talk to your physician about options that are right for you.
For questions or more information, call 330.344.7792 or 330.344.6122.
Food and Nutrition Services
Cleveland Clinic Akron General
1 Akron General Ave.
Akron, OH 44307
Ambulatory Care Center
Cleveland Clinic Akron General
3rd Floor (check-in at Department of Surgery)
Making an appointment with a registered dietitian:
- Obtain a referral from your primary care physician. Your dietitian will need to know the reason for the referral (i.e. high cholesterol, diabetes, pregnancy, weight control). The physician can write your referral on a prescription slip or referral form.
- Call Akron General's Central Scheduling at 330.344.5760 to make an appointment. Flexible hours are available for your convenience, including late afternoons and occasional Saturdays
- Once an appointment has been arranged, you can pre-register by phone at 330.344.5760 or plan to come to your appointment at least 20 minutes early to allow for on-site registration. Please remember to bring your referral slip and any insurance information you might need.
- Fees are based on length of time spent with the registered dietitian. Insurance coverage varies. If you are unsure of your coverage, contact your provider to inquire about coverage for medical nutrition therapy.