The Section of Vascular Medicine offers comprehensive care for diseases of the vascular system (blood vessels), peripheral artery disease (PAD), diffuse and premature atherosclerosis, and conditions such as Raynaud's disease and Fibromuscular Dysplasia (FMD). Our specialists diagnose and manage arterial, venous and lymphatic disorders, as well as the acute and long-term care of patients with hyper-coagulable disorders.
The Section of Vascular Medicine is home to one of the most active vascular laboratories, with more than 2,200 clinical studies performed per month.
In addition, the Cleveland Clinic Tomsich Family Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, the Section of Vascular Medicine is home to one of the largest Vascular Medicine Fellowship Programs in the United States.
What We Treat
Vascular conditions treated in the Section of Vascular Medicine include:
- Diffuse and premature atherosclerosis and lipid disorders
- Peripheral artery diseases (PAD) of the lower extremity arteries
- Renal Artery Disease
- Mesenteric Artery Disease
- Carotid Artery Disease
- Fibromuscular Dysplasia (FMD)
- Spontaneous Coronary Artery Dissection (SCAD)
- Cervical (Carotid or Vertebral) Artery Dissection
- Deep Vein Thrombosis(DVT) and post thrombotic syndrome
- Hypercoagulable states
- Chronic Venous Insufficiency
- Varicose and Spider Veins
- Non- healing leg and foot ulcers
- Other non-atherosclerotic conditions such as Buerger’s disease, Raynaud’s disease and other cold-induced vascular abnormalities, thoracic outlet syndrome (TOS)
- Other conditions such as swollen legs, pseudoaneurysms, atheroemboli and nonhealing digital ulcers secondary to connective tissue disease
Specialized clinics offered in the Section of Vascular Medicine include:
- The Thrombosis Center - A multidisciplinary center designed to diagnose and treat conditions related to thrombosis, often called hypercoagulable conditions, thrombophilia or blood clotting disorders. Thrombophilia or hypercoagulable conditions are generally due to several factors but may be genetic (inherited) or acquired (following surgery, trauma, hospitalization, medical disease or even related to medications).
- Lower Extremity Wound Clinic - Offers a specialized, multi-disciplinary approach for the treatment and secondary prevention of leg and foot ulcers. General podiatry care is also provided to patients with underlying arterial or venous insufficiency, lymphedema and other arterial and venous disorders. Learn more about the Wound Clinic.
- Peripheral Intervention Program - An active part of the Vascular Medicine Section. Our trained endovascular specialists are skilled in performing procedures on the coronary as well as the peripheral arteries to treat peripheral artery disease or PAD.
- Fibromuscular Dysplasia (FMD) Spontaneous Coronary Dissection (SCAD) and Cervical Artery Dissection Clinic - A multidisciplinary team, including experts from vascular medicine, cardiology, vascular surgery, nephrology, genetics and neurology as needed. The vascular medicine FMD/SCAD team works together with patients to best develop a treatment plan tailored to meet the needs of patients with FMD, SCAD and cervical artery dissection.
- IVC Filter Retrieval Clinic - dedicated to the care of patients who have potentially retrievable IVC filters.
- Pulmonary Embolism Response Team (PERT) – a multidisciplinary team developed to streamline the care with patients who have severe pulmonary embolism; designed for rapid response and treatment.
- Vein Health Clinic – Our board-certified vascular medicine physicians, vascular surgeons and imaging technologists specialize in the diagnosis of all types of vein problems and offer customized treatment options
Non-Invasive Vascular Testing Yields Fast, Accurate Results
The non-invasive Vascular Laboratory provides services in both inpatient and outpatient areas. As one of the most active vascular laboratories, more than 2,400 clinical studies are performed per month. The lab is fully digitalized, with computer workstations to receive the immediate transfer of digital information at the time of examination, making physician review of critical images more readily available.
Studies performed in our vascular laboratory include:
- Carotid artery ultrasound
- Carotid Intimal Medial Thickness (IMT) Assessment
- Renal artery ultrasound
- Aorta and peripheral artery ultrasound
- Abdominal/ mesenteric artery ultrasound
- Pulse volume recordings of the upper and lower extremities
- Arterial physiological testing of both upper and lower extremities (respectively)
- Venous physiologic testing
- Venous ultrasound of both the upper and lower extremities
- Venous reflux testing
- Vein mapping
- Arterial mapping studies
- Intra-operative duplex ultrasonography
- Lower extremity graft surveillance
- Vascular screening studies
Why choose Cleveland Clinic for your care?
- Our outcomes speak for themselves. Please review our facts and figures and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.
What to Expect
Whether you are coming from around the corner or around the world, you want to know what to expect before, during and after your visit with us. If you have any questions while reviewing this information, please contact us. We are happy to answer any questions you may have.
Call Toll-free 800.223.2273, ext. 44420 or submit an online request.
Go to Desk J3 - 5, 9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio.
Use our secure online form to submit an appointment request 24/7. We will receive it and follow-up with you as soon as possible.
Mon. - Fri., 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. (ET):
toll-free 800.223.2273, ext. 49162
Cleveland Clinic Heart, Vascular & Thoracic Institute physicians, surgeons, and researchers continue to research into new treatments and therapies with the goal of improving patient care and outcomes into the future.
Clinical trials (or research studies) help us create the medicine of tomorrow. They provide hope through offering testing of new drugs, new surgical techniques or other treatments before they are widely available.
We can help you access hundreds of clinical trials across all specialty areas. Our new searchable online trials tool makes identifying treatment opportunities easier than ever.