What to Expect
Before Your Appointment
Depending upon the reason for your doctor’s visit, this checklist can help you prepare.
- Gather documents to bring to your doctor’s visit:
- Copies of any tests, x-rays, or medical histories relating to your medical problem.
- Completed medical history questionnaire.
- A list of all current medications taken on a regular basis, including over-the-counter and herbal medications.
- Review any special directions from your doctor about diet or medication restrictions prior to your appointment.
- Ask friends or relatives to accompany you if you wish. Depending on the type of appointment you have, you may need someone to take you home.
- Bring a sweater or coat. Our buildings are kept cool to protect and ensure the proper function of medical equipment.
During Your Appointment
To make the most of your appointment, be sure to ask your doctor any questions or express any concerns you have.
Not sure what to ask? Find suggestions:
After Your Appointment
What to expect after your appointment:
- If you need to see another doctor, we will make every effort to schedule additional tests and consultations at the earliest available time.
- If you need to be hospitalized, we will coordinate admitting arrangements and provide the hospital with information prior to your arrival.
Text Appointment Reminders
Would you like to receive text appointment reminders for you and your child? Now you can.
Text appointment reminders are sent in the morning the day before your or your child’s scheduled appointment. Simply reply in a text “Yes” to confirm or “No” to cancel. If a patient replies “No”, the appointment is canceled to open that time for another patient.*
Example text: Cleveland Clinic: Eric has an appt at Main Location, desk A71, Wed Jun 25 @ 9:30A. To confirm, txt YES. To decline, txt NO. Txt Help 4help.
If you cancel an appointment by mistake, please call 216.444.2273 or 800.223.2273 to reschedule.*
*It may take up to 6 hours for your text appointment cancelation to be confirmed in our system. If you canceled by mistake, please allow up 6 hours before calling to reschedule.
How to receive appointment text reminders:
- Verify that your cell phone number is registered with a Cleveland Clinic Appointment Representative. To confirm, please call 216.444.2273. Your preferred mobile phone number must be registered as a home or mobile number in your and your child’s medical records.
- Once your cell phone number is registered, enroll from your preferred mobile phone by texting "4clinictxt" to 622622.
- (Message & data rates may apply according to your mobile carrier)
- You will receive a confirmation text once enrolled.
- If you have multiple appointments scheduled on the same day, you will receive separate text reminders for each appointment.
If you no longer wish to receive text reminders, text STOP to 622622.
Text reminders are available for appointments at:
- Cleveland Clinic main campus
- Family Health Centers
- Remote Medical Practices
- Cleveland Clinic Florida
- Lou Ruvo Center for Brain Health, Las Vegas
- Call to schedule your visit.
- Follow the instructions in your email to generate your AppointmentPass.
- Print your AppointmentPass –or– use the AppointmentPass email from your mobile device.
- Stop at the touch-screen kiosk in the lobby to scan your AppointmentPass and check-in for you Appointment.
- Head to your doctor's office waiting room to be called back.
Need help with AppointmentPass? Email CCAP@ccf.org
What is AppointmentPass?
AppointmentPass gives Cleveland Clinic patients a way to quickly, easily and privately check in for their appointments using a self-service electronic kiosk.
Where are the AppointmentPass kiosks?
Look for AppointmentPass kiosks in the main lobby or patient waiting areas of Cleveland Clinic facilities that offer this service. AppointmentPass currently is available at many of our Family Health Centers. We will be expanding this service to all Cleveland Clinic locations.
How do I check in using the AppointmentPass kiosk?
You can manually check in by entering your name, date of birth and zip code to begin your self-service check in. Or, you can use your unique AppointmentPass bar code and have the option to print it or use the AppointmentPass email from your mobile device. Bring your bar code with you to your appointment, and then scan it at the AppointmentPass kiosk to begin your self-service check-in. An attendant will be available to assist you when using the AppointmentPass kiosk.
How do I get a Barcode?
Call to schedule your appointment as you always have. If you are scheduling a visit at one of the Appointment Pass-equipped facilities, your scheduler will ask you to provide your email address in order for you to check-in using your unique AppointmentPass bar code through the AppointmentPass Kiosk. Your barcode is good for all participating locations and visits.
Why do I need to provide my email address?
Cleveland Clinic will send you an email with instructions on how to securely verify your identity and generate your unique barcode.
Do I still need to bring my health insurance card?
Yes. During your self-service check-in process, you will be prompted to show your insurance information using the camera built into the AppointmentPass kiosk to capture an image of your card. You will need to capture an image of your insurance card and photo ID when you first use the AppointmentPass kiosk, and then once every 90-days thereafter.
What if I have a co-pay?
If you have a co-pay for your visit you will be prompted to complete payment. You can pay with debit/credit card for Visa, MasterCard, Amex, Discover, FSA, HRA and HSA cards. If you prefer to pay with check or cash you will be directed to go to the front desk to complete payment.
How long does self-service check-in take?
You should be able to complete your check-in within a few minutes. As with the traditional check-in process, Cleveland Clinic suggests you arrive 15 minutes prior to your appointment time. You can use the AppointmentPass kiosk to check-in up to 90 minutes before and 10 minutes after your scheduled visit time.
What if I have to complete the Knowledge Project for my visit?
If you are required to complete the Knowledge Project for your visit you will receive instructions to proceed to the front desk after you have checked in using the AppointmentPass kiosk. If you completed your questionnaire at home, AppointmentPass will direct you to your department waiting area after check-in.
Is AppointmentPass secure?
Yes. You use a secure website to generate your AppointmentPass bar code. The information you enter at the AppointmentPass kiosk remains on an internal Cleveland Clinic network. Plus, you maintain greater privacy by not having to discuss any sensitive information in a waiting room where others may over hear.
What if the AppointmentPass kiosk is down when I arrive?
If you are unable to access AppointmentPass for any reason, you may proceed to the department check-in desk for assistance or you may complete your registration at the centralized check-in desk (available at some locations).
When can’t I use the kiosk for my visit?
There may be situations when you cannot use the AppointmentPass kiosk to check-in for your visit and you will be directed to the front desk. Some examples are: you need to see a Patient Financial Advocate; you need to update your MSPQ; incomplete insurance information; too early; too late; invalid department.
What happens if I have multiple appointments in one day?
Patients can check in for multiple appointments at the kiosk if the appointment times are within one hour of each other and at the same location. If appointments are further than one hour apart patients are encouraged to return to the Kiosk to check in for additional appointments. If this is not convenient you may stop at the check-out desk after their first appointment or check in with the Patient Service Representative at the designated department desk for your next appointment.
Terms and Conditions
For all medical emergencies, immediately dial 911. Do not use this convenience tool to communicate medical emergencies.
“Individual” means the patient who has opted to enroll in the Cleveland Clinic AppointmentPass Program. The use of the words “we”, “our” and “Cleveland Clinic” mean The Cleveland Clinic Foundation and its affiliates.
- Individual's unique appointmentpass will contain certain appointment information and will be sent as an attachment to an unencrypted email. Sending information via an unencrypted email means there is a risk that the information in the email and individual’s unique AppointmentPass could potentially be read by a third party when it is sent through the internet. By signing up for the Cleveland Clinic AppointmentPass program, individual understands and agrees to receive communications containing individual’s limited appointment information, including individual's unique appointmentpass, to the most recent email address provided to cleveland clinic at the time of registration or by contacting Cleveland Clinic appointment center at 216-444-2273.
- The Cleveland Clinic AppointmentPass Program is a private method of checking into Individual’s appointment at a kiosk by either scanning the barcoded AppointmentPass emailed to Individual at the time of scheduling the appointment or validating certain personal information at the kiosk.
- Individual may receive unique AppointmentPasses and, from time to time, important email notices and messages, from Cleveland Clinic at the email address provided to Cleveland Clinic. Individual therefore MUST verify and update Individual’s email address at the time of registration or by contacting Cleveland Clinic Appointment Center at 216-444-2273 to ensure that Individual receives AppointmentPasses and general notices in a timely and accurate manner. Cleveland Clinic is not responsible for any damage resulting from Individual’s failure to verify and update Individual’s email and demographic information in a timely manner.
- Individual agrees that the Cleveland Clinic AppointmentPass Program, including its kiosks at certain Cleveland Clinic locations, is a service offered only as a convenience to Cleveland Clinic patients. Individual understands that Individual is solely responsible for any sharing of the Cleveland Clinic AppointmentPass Program content that Individual intentionally or unintentionally communicates to others, through any means or devices. INDIVIDUAL HEREBY ASSUMES THE SOLE LIABILITY IN USING THE CLEVELAND CLINIC APPOINTMENTPASS PROGRAM.
- Individual can discontinue use of the Cleveland Clinic AppointmentPass Program at any time by contacting Cleveland Clinic Appointment Center at 216-444-2273 or by clicking the opt-out link in the AppointmentPass email.
- Cleveland Clinic reserves the right, at its sole discretion, and without notification, to suspend or discontinue Individual’s use of this service and to discontinue the general use of the service itself.
- INDIVIDUAL AGREES AND INTENDS THAT CLEVELAND CLINIC SHALL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR, AND SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR, ANY DAMAGES THAT RESULT FROM, OR ANY ACTIONS CLEVELAND CLINIC TAKES THAT RESULT FROM INDIVIDUAL’S USE OF THE APPOINTMENT PASS PROGRAM AND INDIVIDUAL AGREES TO HOLD HARMLESS AND DEFEND CLEVELAND CLINIC FROM ANY DAMAGES RESULTING FROM SUCH USE OR DIRECTIONS UPON WHICH CLEVELAND CLINIC RELIES, AND FURTHER, WAIVES ALL LIABILITY OF CLEVELAND CLINIC ASSOCIATED WITH SUCH USE OF THE APPOINTMENTPASS PROGRAM BY INDIVIDUAL
- When using the Cleveland Clinic AppointmentPass Program, information will be transmitted over a medium that is beyond the control of the Cleveland Clinic and its contractors. INDIVIDUAL HEREBY EXPRESSLY ASSUMES THE SOLE RISK OF ANY UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS AND/OR DISCLOSURE OR INTENTIONAL INTRUSION, OR OF ANY DELAY, FAILURE, INTERRUPTION, OR CORRUPTION OF DATA OR OTHER INFORMATION TRANSMITTED IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OF THIS SERVICE AND AGREES THAT THE CLEVELAND CLINIC APPOINTMENTPASS PROGRAM IS NOT ERROR-FREE.
- In the event that this Web site contains links to Web sites operated by other parties, the links are provided for Individual’s convenience only. Cleveland Clinic does not control such Web sites and Cleveland Clinic is not responsible for the content and performance of these sites. The inclusion of links to other Web sites does not imply any endorsement of the material on the Web sites or any association with their operators. Cleveland Clinic does not operate, control, or endorse any information, products, or services provided by third parties through the Internet. Use of other sites is strictly at Individual’s own risk, including, but not limited to, any risks associated with destructive viruses. Individual is responsible for viewing and abiding by the terms and conditions of use and the privacy statements of the other Web sites.
- This site, the AppointmentPass Program, and all other sites hosted by Cleveland Clinic and the content contained herein and therein are provided by Cleveland Clinic on an "As Is" basis and Individual accesses and uses the AppointmentPass Program at his/her own risk. Cleveland Clinic makes no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, as to the operation of its sites, or the content, products and/or services included therein. To the fullest extent permissible by applicable law, Cleveland Clinic disclaims all warranties, express, or implied, including, but not limited to, implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose.
- Individual agrees that the law applicable to any claim or dispute relating to AppointmentPass or Individual’s reliance on AppointmentPass and all activity and any dispute that might arise between Individual and Cleveland Clinic, its doctors, nurses, staff or other affiliates hereunder, regardless of where the Individual resides, shall be determined by where the Individual primarily receives medical care at a Cleveland Clinic site; accordingly, the following law shall apply, without regard to the particular state’s conflict of laws provision: if in Ohio, Ohio law shall apply, subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the local, state or federal courts located in Cuyahoga County, Ohio. If in Nevada, Nevada law shall apply, subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the local, state or federal courts located in Clark County, Nevada. If in Florida, Florida law shall apply, subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the local, state or federal courts located in Broward County, Florida.
- AppointmentPass is a trademark owned by Cleveland Clinic.
Cleveland Clinic Admissions
Your doctor may recommend you be admitted to Cleveland Clinic. If so, you may have questions.
Our Admissions page has the information you need to make your stay as easy and comfortable as possible. Read our 2015 Patients and Visitor's Guide and watch our New Patient video for additional information.