At Cleveland Clinic Nevada, doctors from the Mellen Program for Multiple Sclerosis focus on addressing physical, emotional, cognitive and rehabilitation needs of the multiple sclerosis (MS) patient and their family members through a team approach. Our program offers state-of-the-art resources to provide the most advanced specialized care, supported by an extensive program of research and education.
Why choose Cleveland Clinic?
Did you know that earlier diagnosis can significantly reduce disability outcomes by starting appropriate therapies as soon as possible? Did you know that 10-30 percent of MS cases are misdiagnosed?
By coming to Cleveland Clinic for treatment when you suspect MS, we can confirm a diagnosis sooner and start appropriate therapy to reduce the risk of future disability. The Mellen Center for Multiple Sclerosis at Cleveland Clinic is one of the largest and most comprehensive programs for MS care and research worldwide, managing more than 20,000 patient visits every year. Basic and clinical research conducted at Cleveland Clinic sheds new light on MS every year.
What’s unique about the Mellen Program for Multiple Sclerosis in Las Vegas?
We’re the only comprehensive MS center in Nevada run by fellowship-trained MS specialists and the only National Multiple Sclerosis Society Partner in Care in Nevada.
We also provide a unique resources for Cleveland Clinic MS patients and their care partners. Established by Gloria and Emilio Estefan to honor her father who died of MS, the Fajardo Patient Services Program at Cleveland Clinic Nevada offers patients and families complimentary:
- Transportation to medical appointments at Cleveland Clinic.
- Yoga for MS + concurrent patient and family support groups.
- Access to dedicated patient services coordinator who helps patients with non-medical issues.
Thanks to a robust philanthropy program at Cleveland Clinic Nevada we also offer a number of other caregiver resources.
Train with us
The Clinical Neuroimmunology and Multiple Sclerosis Fellowship is designed to prepare academically-oriented neurologists and physiatrists for a career in patient care and clinical research in multiple sclerosis.
What We Treat
Multiple sclerosis and other related disorders treated at Cleveland Clinic’s Las Vegas location:
At Cleveland Clinic Nevada, we address multiple sclerosis and myelitis through two important steps:
- Accurate diagnosis.
- Expert disease management.
Each component — diagnosis and ongoing disease management — requires unique neurological specialization. We have carefully composed our teams to give you the greatest access to the most relevant experts at each step in the continuum of your care.
Our doctors lead the diagnostic aspect of your care; our advanced practice providers (nurse practitioners, physician assistants) lead the disease management aspect of your care. Throughout the course of your care, all members of your neurology team are in ongoing communication within their team and with colleagues across multiple disciplines, collaborating to provide world class comprehensive care for patients, families and care partners.
What to expect from us
At Cleveland Clinic Nevada, we strive to:
- Treat your conditions and keep your brain as healthy as possible.
- Provide a support system for you and your loved ones.
- Offer you and your loved one's opportunities to participate in clinical research.
Learn more in our Patient Guide, which was conceived by our patient and family advisory council.
At its Las Vegas location, Cleveland Clinic has conducted more than 80 trials in MS and other neurological brain disorders.
At Cleveland Clinic Nevada, we’re striving to advance MS treatment from multiple angles, notably:
- Reparative studies: evaluating the possibility of repairing the mechanisms that drive disability such as remyelination.
- Clinical trials of novel therapies: offering emerging disease-modifying therapies and symptomatic medicines with unique mechanisms of action for controlling disease activity and symptoms.
- Duration of treatment: looking at how long patients need to be on a specific treatment while evaluating age as an additional factor; what would be the outcomes following discontinuation?
- Optimizing treatment approaches to reduce disability: evaluating the importance of early high-efficacy treatment compared to traditional approaches.
- Comparative effectiveness outcomes: conducting clinical observational research studies to learn how patients comparatively benefit from various FDA-approved treatment strategies.
- Health and wellness: creating individualized health and wellness visits to maximize comprehensive care of the entire person living with MS.
Care Partner Resources
Multiple sclerosis, myelitis and other related disorders challenge families, who rise to the occasion by becoming care partners for their loved one. Patients rely heavily on their family caregivers, who often suffer tremendous stress, particularly when they lack knowledge and experience.
Quality patient care is of utmost importance at Cleveland Clinic. Many of the treatment options offered by our center require multiple evaluations. Scheduling these appointments with the appropriate providers can be challenging to navigate. That is why our staff developed a comprehensive system that walks new patients through our care process from the initial phone call to the final evaluation.
Learn more about scheduling an appointment with Cleveland Clinic Nevada and accepted insurances.