Center for International Medical Education (CIME)
The Center for International Medical Education (CIME) coordinates various international visitor programs in Cleveland, Ohio to ensure a high quality educational experience for members of the global medical community.
International Physician Observer Program
The Observership program is an informal shadowing experience that enables participants to watch procedures and surgeries; attend patient rounds and teaching conferences; and have full access to Cleveland Clinic’s medical library system. Federal regulations prevent observers from having patient care responsibilities or involvement in any form of volunteer research.
International Preceptorship Program
The international Preceptorship Program is designed to meet the specific clinical and administrative interests of the participating physician. Participants engage in one-on-one clinical and surgical observations, and shadow staff involved in departmental administrative functions. Meanwhile, they have the opportunity to examine the best practices and operational strengths of Cleveland Clinic.
Global Executive Education
The healthcare environment is shifting constantly and all that is known for sure is that action is necessary. Join other global and national healthcare leaders at Cleveland Clinic with our executive education initiative. It is a true hospital-based program. Couple this peer learning with hands-on experience, and you can see how the learning becomes easily translatable into your daily life. This program will help you discover new perspective, synergies, and ideas that you can apply in your work.
Executive Visitors' Program
During this intensive three-day program, participants will:
- Learn how Cleveland Clinic executes its mission and achieves strategic goals through system integration
- Get a first-hand look at how Cleveland Clinic operates
- Get a behind-the-doors view of our organization and culture through presentations and one-on-one conversations with Cleveland Clinic leaders
- Find out more about the Executive Visitor’s Program
Global Leadership Academy
During this two-week program, led by some of the best minds in healthcare and academia, participants will:
- Learn lessons, strategies and management techniques based on Cleveland Clinic’s successful business model
- Form a mentoring relationship with an executive coach
- Participate in small-group shadowing and roundtable sessions
- Network with executives from Cleveland Clinic and from around the world
- Formulate a three-year leadership development plan
- Gain lifelong membership in our online community, Samson Exec Ed Connect, which offers resources, networking opportunities and interactive features such as “Ask an Expert"
- Visit the Global Leadership Academy
Continuing Medical Education (CME)
The Center for Continuing Medical Education has shared its wealth of knowledge with the global medical community for more than 75 years, providing one of the largest and most diverse continuing medical education programs in the world. We offer more than 300 educational activities and medical reference resources.
The Cleveland Clinic International Operations Internship Program aims to provide students interested in international healthcare operations with the opportunity to gain practical experience and invaluable exposure to international business development, international finance operations, global human resources, and global patient services. Our vision is to inspire and engage business students through real life healthcare exposure, enrich their exceptional talents, and guide them professionally.
Cleveland Clinic International Operations unpaid semester long internship program is designed to develop students’ career goals within a healthcare organization that does business internationally. The internship offers a hands-on learning opportunity for students seeking exposure to international business development, international operations, international financial operations, global human resources, and global patient services. Advance your skills using multiple languages while working in a truly multi-cultural environment and assisting the team with international projects and administrative tasks. Participate in a structured learning experience under the mentorship and guidance of department leaders.
Preferred Qualifications included:
- Currently enrolled in an undergraduate program (junior or senior standing) or a graduate program
- Concentration is international business, business administration, healthcare administration, operations management, finance, human resource, or similar
- International experience (e.g., study abroad, work related, or volunteer programs)
- Fluency in a foreign language
Internship Opportunities include:
- Attend and observe operational meetings.
- Assist department personnel in assigned administrative, planning, organizational, technical, and professional tasks.
- Provide suggestions, recommendations, and support needs related to business advisory, operations, HR processes, and special projects.
- Research, compile, tabulate, and analyze data and processes for a variety of administrative and departmental matters.
- Assess international companies and the competitive landscape of potential markets.
- Prepare and present reports; drafts policies and procedures; responds to requests for information.
- Develop networking skills through connections within projects, intern-specific programming and engagement events.
- Participation in Cleveland Clinic course offering opportunities (i.e., Tableau, Project Management, Finance, etc.).
- Conclude internship with final presentation to International Operations leaders, managers, peers and mentors focusing on business delivery and overall accomplishments.
For more information, connect with us on LinkedIn
Medical Training Programs
Residency and fellowship training programs
Cleveland Clinic sponsors one of the largest selections of graduate medical education programs in the United States. We offer a variety of accredited residency programs as well accredited and non-accredited fellowship opportunities. We have more than 1,100 trainees participating in 70 programs accredited by the accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education and in 100 advanced fellowship programs.
Many of these programs are available to international physicians through competitive selection process.
Accredited residency programs available at Cleveland Clinic include:
- Anatomic/Clinical Pathology.
- Child Psychiatry.
- Child Neurology.
- General Surgery.
- Internal Medicine.
- Orthopaedic Surgery.
- Plastic Surgery Integrated.
- Psychiatry & Psychology.
- Radiation Oncology.
- Thoracic Surgery Integrated.
- Vascular Surgery Integrated.
Medical Student Elective Rotation Program
In the Medical Student Elective Rotation Program, participants learn essential clinical and practical skills form U.S. specialists who are highly respected in their fields. Clinical electives are available to students who are in their final year of medical school. Participating students rotate with Cleveland Clinic faculty and residents through a variety of specialties areas. The Medical Student Elective Rotation Program is administered by Cleveland Clinic’s Lerner College of Medicine.
Cleveland Clinic is a global network that’s transforming healthcare. Our flagship location is just the beginning: when you join Cleveland Clinic, you have the opportunity to work in a variety of settings—big urban hospital to suburban clinic—as well as our exciting overseas locations.