Pregnancy can be an exciting time in one’s life. However, it can also be a time for uncertainty for those who:
- Have a heart condition and want to become pregnant
- Have a heart condition and have an unplanned pregnancy
- Are pregnant and begin to have symptoms of heart disease
The Cardio-Obstetrics Clinic at Cleveland Clinic brings together specialists from cardiovascular medicine, obstetrics/gynecology, cardiovascular surgery genetics, specialized imaging and nutrition to offer:
- Evaluations for women with heart disease to determine safety of pregnancy
- Evaluations of pregnant women with symptoms of heart disease
- Genetic counseling for women with heart disease to determine the risk of disease in the child
- Care of pregnant women with heart disease throughout their pregnancy and delivery
- Diagnosis, monitoring and treatment related to problems identified through fetal monitoring
- Cardio-Obstetrics Clinic: Your Heart and Pregnancy brochure
What We Treat
Patients seen in the Cardio-Obstetrics Clinic have a variety of medical conditions and reasons for treatment that may affect the health of the baby or the mother’s safety during pregnancy.Some of these conditions include:
- Congenital heart disease and/or prior treatments
- Heart diseases, such as cardiomyopathy, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM), valve disease, coronary artery disease, arrhythmias, pulmonary hypertension and aorta disease
Specialists provide evaluation and care – from pre-conception, through pregnancy, labor and birth, and after your child’s delivery.
Learn more about:
Our multidisciplinary specialists in Obstetrics and Cardiovascular Disease include:
Cardiology and Adult Congenital Heart Disease
Cardiology and Heart Failure
- Deirdre Mattina, MD (Beachwood location)
Maternal Fetal Medicine
Our team also includes cardiovascular specialists in other areas to meet each patient’s individual needs.
- Christina Rigelsky, MS, CGC
- Diane Clements, MS, CGC
- Paul Crawford, MS, CGC
- Joseph Liu MS, CGC
- Julia Renee Zumpano RD, LD
- Katherine Patton, MEd, RD, CSSD, LD
- Carrie Budzar, RN
- Sue Grendzynksi, RN
- Saundra Keane, RN
Make an Appointment
The Cardio-Obstetric Clinic is located at Desk J2-4, on the second floor of the Miller Family Heart, Vascular & Thoracic Institute (J Building).
To make an appointment, please call the Fetal Care Center at 1.866.864.0430 or 216.444.9706.
Before your appointment
If your appointment is scheduled more than a week away, you will need to send in your records, including medical history, test results and films (such as echocardiogram, ultrasound, chest X-ray, MRI or CT scan). All records should be sent to the physician you will see in the Cardio-Obstetrics Clinic. Send all information in the same package (clearly marked with your name and address) via Airborne Express, Federal Express, or certified U.S. mail (make sure you have a tracking number). The address is:
Fetal Care Center
9500 Euclid Avenue – Desk M8309
Cleveland, OH 44195
If your appointment is scheduled within a week, please bring your records to your appointment.
What to expect during your appointment
Please arrange to stay in the Cleveland area for one to two days to complete your appointment and testing.
First, you will meet with a nurse who will collect your information, and ask questions about your medical history.
Based on your condition and history, you may need an electrocardiogram (ECG), echocardiogram (echo), blood tests, ultrasound, exercise stress testing, arrhythmia monitoring, and others.
Next, you’ll meet with a cardiologist and an obstetrician/gynecologist who will review your information and test results and do a physical exam. You will also meet with a genetic specialist and nutritionist. Your team will provide you with an assessment and care plan.
If you need to meet with other members of the Cardio-Obstetrics team, your appointment(s) will be scheduled before your visit or during the same day.
Your team will let you know how often you need to have follow-up appointments. Follow-up will be based on your evaluation and treatment plan. There is an opportunity for telephone follow-up as well.
Travel to the Cleveland Clinic
We want to make traveling to Cleveland Clinic as easy as possible. For helpful information, click here:
Request an evaluation for your patient Mon. - Fri., 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. (ET): call toll-free 800.659.7822.
- First-time mother undergoes heart valve repair shortly after delivering baby during the pandemic, 6/29/2021
- Cleveland Clinic doctors save pregnant mom with open-heart surgery, Dr. Ghobrial, 5/9/2021
- First-Time Mother Undergoes Heart Valve Repair Shortly After Delivering Baby During Pandemic, Dr. Ghobrial, 5/9/2021
- Pregnant? Why Your Heart (Not Just Baby) Needs Your Attention, Too, Dr. Chapa, 9/25/2018
- Cleveland Clinic offers new heart treatment for mom’s to be, Dr. Chapa, 2/1/2017
Need More Information?
Or call the Miller Family Heart, Vascular & Thoracic Institute Resource & Information Nurse at 216.445.9288 or toll-free at 866.289.6911. We would be happy to help you.