The Center for Human Nutrition provides evaluation, education, and treatment to people who have disease-related nutrition problems. Additionally, the Center is involved with a multitude of programs to promote health and wellness. Both of these efforts are driven by a dedicated team of registered dietitians, dietetic technicians, nurses, pharmacists, physicians, and surgeons who work together to provide comprehensive support for patients with specialized nutrition needs.
Title: Director, Center for Human Nutrition
Education: Fellowship: Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Gastroenterology/Nutrition, Chicago, IL
Medical School: George Washington University School of Medicine, Washington, DC
Undergraduate: B.S. with Special Honors in Zoology, George Washington University, Washington, DC
Specialty Area: Nutrition Support, Enteral Access
Board Certifications: American Board of Internal Medicine; American Board of Nutrition; Gastroenterology Subspecialty Board; National Board of Nutrition Support Certification; American Board of Physician Nutrition Specialists
Memberships: American College of Physicians, Fellow; American College of Nutrition, Fellow; American College of Gastroenterology, Fellow; American Gastroenterological Association, Fellow; American Society of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition; American Society for Clinical Nutrition; American Institute of Nutrition
Other: Founding Father of the Virginia Chapter, American Society of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition; Physician-at-Large (Ohio Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition)
Cindy Hamilton, MS, RD, LD, FAND
Title: Director, Nutrition
Education: MS Nutrition, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio
BS Dietetics, Ohio University
Dietetic Internship: St. Luke's Hospital, Cleveland, Ohio
Specialty Area: Nutrition Support, Home Parenteral Nutrition Service, Nutrition-Focused Physical Assessment
Other: Chair (2011-2012), Dietitians in Nutrition Support Practice Group (Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics); Public Policy Committee Member, Malnutrition Committee (American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition); Dietitian-at-Large (Ohio Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition)
Why Choose Us
- Many of our registered dietitians maintain board-certified specializations in nutrition support, diabetes management, oncology, weight management, and geriatrics
- Our dietitians are extensively involved in various aspects of the Cleveland Clinic’s Wellness Initiative by partnering with local fitness centers, local schools, and grocery stores
- We provide comprehensive evaluation, education, and monitoring of individuals in need of nutritional care at Cleveland Clinic main campus, as well as at 12 of our Family Health Centers
- Individuals requiring home parenteral nutrition receive education and training along with 24-hour inclusive care by a nationally recognized team with 30 years of experience
- Our Gut Rehabilitation and Transplant clinicians are well-known nationally and internationally for their ability to reduce hospital admissions for dehydration, wean patients from nutrition support, and recommend intestinal transplantation when necessary.
- Our clinicians are well-known authors of numerous publications and invited speakers at international presentations on their specific topics of expertise
- Dietitians provide more than 300 home enteral nutrition educations to adult patients annually
- Our multidisciplinary team cares for one of the world’s largest populations of home parenteral nutrition patients
- We continue to be the largest, physician-lead, multidisciplinary nutrition support team in the country
- Many of our clinicians maintain leadership roles in state and national chapters of nutrition associations
- Our dietetic technicians are the backbone for day-to-day activities for hospitalized patients and provide patient education for specific dietary needs
- Established in 1994, the Nutrition Fellowship continues through today to support the education of physicians who are interested in specializing in nutrition
- The Dietetic Internship Program has proudly maintained a 100% pass rate on the Registration Examination for Dietitians within the last five years. Of the 123 graduates of the program between 1989 and 2010, 60% have attained a leadership position in their employment or professional association.
Select patients now can see our providers online from their home or office by using the Cleveland Clinic Express Care® Online tool. This service allows patients a fast, secure and easy way to receive care from their healthcare team in a live virtual visit using a smartphone (iPhone or Android), tablet or computer. The benefits of choosing a virtual visit include no travel or parking, less waiting, significant time savings, no facility fee and the convenience of seeing your physician from wherever you choose.
If you would like to use Express Care Online for your next visit, please call your provider’s office. If you are eligible, our team will schedule your virtual visit and provide details on the cost of your appointment and setup instructions.