Quality Care at Avon Hospital
Cleveland Clinic believes in providing quality of care information to patients and the public. As a non-profit hospital and responsible member of the community, you should know how we are performing.
Cleveland Clinic’s commitment to “transparency” includes providing the most current quality data available, and that is what this Quality Performance Report will show you. On an ongoing basis, the Report will be updated as new data becomes available.
The Quality Performance Report shows how Avon Hospital has been doing at providing the right care for specific common conditions. Information about surgery and how patients view their experiences at Avon Hospital is also included. Click below for data and details:
Keep in mind that you should not choose a hospital based solely on data in reports like this one.
You can find out more about the quality of a hospital’s care by doing the following:
- Ask your doctor if the hospital treats a lot of people who have your health problem.
- Ask if the hospital has a special team of health professionals who work with people with your health problem.
- Ask your doctor what he or she thinks about the quality of the hospital’s care.
- Ask the hospital what steps are taken to improve the quality of the care it provides patients.
- Anthem Blue Distinction Center for Knee and Hip Replacement, 2019
Accreditations and Awards
- Accredited by the Commission on Cancer, 2021
- American Heart Association/American Stroke Association's Get with the Guidelines® Stroke Gold Plus, Target: Stroke Honor Roll-Elite Plus and Target: Type 2 Diabetes Honor Roll Awards, 2023
- AORN Go Clear Award, 2021
- CMS 5 Star Rating, 2021
- Earned an "A" in the spring 2023 Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grade
- EPA Energy Star Hospital
- Geriatric Emergency Department accredited by the American College of Emergency Physicians, 2021
- Joint Commission Accreditation of Health Organizations, 2021
- LGBTQ+ Healthcare Equality Leader recognized by the Healthcare Equality Index assessment, 2022
- NICHE (Nurses Improving Care for Healthsystem Elders) membership
- United Way Live United Award, 2021
Nursing at Cleveland Clinic Avon Hospital
Nurses are central to the patient experience, and their ability to manage and respond to changing and challenging situations is essential for the best possible outcomes. They need to continually assess, plan and implement patient care, all while offering compassion and making critical decisions. Our reputation for nursing excellence is rooted in preparing our nurses for these challenges and our longstanding tradition of investing in them as a nursing team.
Cleveland Clinic Avon nurses exemplify the mission of Cleveland Clinic Avon Hospital and the Magnet® Recognition Program’s vision of serving as a fount of knowledge and expertise for the delivery of nursing care. Our hospital achieved this designation in 2022 with 11 exemplars for exceptional practices.
Outperformed the national nursing quality and safety benchmarks for:
- Falls with injury
- Hospital acquired pressure injury (HAPI)
- Central line associated blood-stream infection (CLABSI)
- Catheter associated urinary tract infection (CAUTI)
- Surgical errors
Outperformed the Press Ganey® national mean on 100% of inpatient units for:
- Patient education
- Patient engagement
- Care coordination
Outperformed the Press Ganey® national mean on 100% of ambulatory units for:
- Courtesy and respect
Who We Are
Cleveland Clinic Avon Hospital opened in November 2016 with 126 private rooms and provides care primarily to Lorain, Cuyahoga, and Erie counties. Noted as one of the most technologically advanced hospitals in northeast Ohio, Cleveland Clinic Avon Hospital was built as a “patient-friendly hospital of the future” and boasts full access to Cleveland Clinic health system services ‘close to home’. Technology enhancements including e-hospital functionality, are intended to enhance the patient experience, shorten length of stay, improve care outcomes, and reduce costs. Cleveland Clinic Avon Hospital provides specialty care in cardiology, gastroenterology, general surgery, orthopedics, pulmonology, urology, gynecology, hospital medicine, vascular medicine, and vascular surgery. We are 300+ nurses strong and nursing care is organized to provide comprehensive care that helps patients attain optimum health and wellness with specialized care to meet their individualized needs.
Professional Practice Model
Our Professional Practice Model is a visual representation of the values, organizational structures, and processes that provide a unifying framework for the practice of nursing at Cleveland Clinic Avon Hospital. It ensures consistency in the delivery of nursing care and defines for all registered nurses their authority, autonomy and accountability as the care for patients and families.
Shared Governance at Cleveland Clinic Avon Hospital
Shared governance is an empowering organizational model that creates a structure for shared decision-making in the clinical care of patients. When granting Magnet® Recognition and Pathway to Excellence® Program designations, the American Nurses Credentialing Center considers how well the principles of shared governance are implemented throughout an organization.