Shared governance is a journey, not a destination (Hess, 2004) and is evidenced by our continued growth towards an exemplary professional practice rich with new knowledge, innovation, and improved empirical outcomes.
Cleveland Clinic employs a model of Nursing Shared Governance to serve as the formal infrastructure to promote a culture that involves nurses, who provide direct care services, in shared leadership; collaboration and exchange of ideas; opportunities for and accessibility to continuous learning, information and resources; decision making; innovative and participatory change management; and engaged action regarding their practice and ownership of the professional practice environment with clarity of vision and shared purpose.
Components of the Model
- Accountability: Responsibility and willingness to invest in ethical practices through shared decision making
- Empowerment: Authority and autonomy to make decisions about nursing practice
- Equality: Shared focus on patients, services, and staff; all essential to providing safe and effective care
- Partnership: Collaboration and teamwork among caregivers and patients/families
Nursing Institute Professional Practice Model
A professional model of shared decision making that gives nurses across the care settings a voice to affect their practice and the care provided for patients. The American Nurses Credentialing Center considers the concepts of shared governance throughout an organization when granting Magnet® and Pathway to Excellence® program designations.
The shared governance model is based on a number of core principles:
- Shared focus on patients, services, and staff; all essential to providing safe and effective care
- Authority and autonomy to make decisions about nursing practice
- Responsibility and willingness to invest in ethical practices through shared decision making
- Collaboration and teamwork among caregivers and patients/families
Interested in learning about Cleveland Clinic’s Shared Governance Consultation & Advisory Services?
Please contact Kathy Mau by email at email@example.com to discuss consultation fees and how Cleveland Clinic can best work with you.