Advances in reconstructive surgical techniques now make it possible to save a limb that might otherwise require amputation. At Cleveland Clinic Florida, our board-certified plastic and reconstructive surgeons specialize in complex limb salvage procedures. Limb preservation can help people with bone tumors, leg wounds or other lower-extremity problems achieve a higher quality of life.
Limb-Sparing Surgery: Why Choose Cleveland Clinic Florida?
Highlights of our limb-sparing surgery program include:
- Multispecialty expertise: Our plastic and reconstructive surgeons work with other specialists in orthopaedics, vascular surgery, imaging, endocrinology and oncology. A team of experts builds your treatment plan so that you receive comprehensive, streamlined care.
- Advanced training: Several of our surgeons have fellowship training in microvascular surgical techniques. This skill set means they’re qualified to perform complex bone and soft tissue reconstruction, including blood vessel repair, for limb salvage.
- Personalized attention: Limb salvage procedures can be life-changing, but they can also be overwhelming. We take the time to explain your injury, your treatment options and what you can expect during the recovery process after limb salvage. This information helps you and your family prepare, so you can focus on healing.
- Comprehensive care: From diagnostic imaging and presurgical planning to physical rehabilitation and wound care, you can get all the care you need at Cleveland Clinic Florida. Our broad range of services ensures we’ll guide and support your treatment and recovery from start to finish.
Lower Extremity Conditions We Treat
A range of conditions may put you at high risk for lower limb amputation. You may be a candidate for limb preservation if you have:
- Complex bone fractures.
- Conditions, such as venous disease or peripheral artery disease (PAD), that affect blood supply in your lower limbs.
- Loss of function due to failed ankle or knee replacement surgeries.
- Osteosarcoma in a lower limb.
- Severe leg wounds or infections, including those due to diabetes.
Limb Salvage: What To Expect
Limb salvage is a complex process that requires the expertise of many specialties within Cleveland Clinic Florida. Plastic surgeons work closely with vascular surgeons, oncologists and other experts to carefully plan your surgery. We do extensive preoperative imaging to map vital nerves and blood vessels. CT scans, angiograms and MRIs help us determine the most effective approach.
Limb salvage surgery focuses on treating the underlying problem and helping you heal. Procedures may remove cancerous tissue, restore blood flow or attach healthy tissue to help wounds heal. For bone cancer, you may have limb reconstruction at the same time as tumor removal. Learn more about our Sarcoma Program.
Your team of surgeons may use a variety of techniques to reconstruct your leg and foot. Our goal is to avoid amputation and restore as much function as possible while minimizing the surgery’s cosmetic effects, such as scars. You may have bone grafting, venous bypass (using healthy veins to reroute blood flow in your leg) or microvascular tissue transfer.
Microvascular tissue transfer
At Cleveland Clinic Florida, our plastic surgeons excel in the complex technique of microvascular tissue transfer. We use bone or soft tissue, such as skin, cartilage or tendons, from another part of your body to restore a damaged limb. Our surgeons take tissue with healthy nerves and blood vessels (often from your abdomen, lower back or arm) and attach it to the nerves and blood vessels in your damaged limb.
Microvascular tissue transfer can:
- Enable better wound healing.
- Improve functional and cosmetic outcomes.
- Lower the risk of tissue rejection.
- Restore circulation and sensation in your reconstructed leg.
Request an Appointment
Call 877.463.2010 or request an appointment to connect with a reconstructive surgeon.
Insurance rarely covers the cost of copays and/or elective cosmetic surgery and procedures. For an explanation of payment options, including CareCredit financing to pay for out-of-pocket expenses not covered by medical insurance, please call 954.659.5220 and ask to speak with one of our caregivers.
Appointments & Locations
Make an appointment at one of our Cleveland Clinic Florida locations, or schedule a virtual visit.