Untreated chronic pain can disturb your everyday life and affect everything from relationships to your self-esteem and career. This holistic approach to coping with chronic pain aims to provide you with tools and skills to help you take control of your life.
Patients will be evaluated by an integrative medicine physician and receive a treatment plan that is tailored to them and may include the following specialties:
- Holistic Psychotherapy.
- Chiropractic Care.
- Osteopathic Manipulation.
- Physical Therapy.
- Health Coaching.
Treatment can be delivered via individual appointments and/or via Shared Medical Appointment (SMA).
Living Well with Chronic Pain SMA
A series of group visits that provide acupuncture, guided meditation, stretching exercises and treatment in combination with education on healthy nutrition, sleep, physical activity and stress management habits associated with better health.
Functioning for Life - Pain Management
Functioning for Life® is a robust 10-week program of shared medical appointments designed for chronic disease management. Disease-specific programs have been developed and patients can select the series that is right for them. The pain management track focuses on conditions such as chronic migraine, osteoarthritis, fibromyalgia and minor back pain. This program can be used on its own or in combination with treatments prescribed by your other providers, such as medications, injections, or surgery.
What We Treat
The Holistic Pain Management Program is designed to help patients cope who are living with chronic pain. Chronic pain does not look the same in everyone. Chronic pain is pain that lasts for over three months and may be constant or come and go.
Chronic pain includes:
- Lower back pain.
- Upper back pain.
- Neck pain.
- Arthritis, or other joint problem (osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, or psoriatic arthritis).
- Cancer related pain.
- Headaches, including migraines.
- Fibromyalgia, a condition that causes muscle pain all over.
- Chronic pain syndrome.
- Chronic pain due to repetitive injuries or scars.
- Nerve, or neuropathic pain (such as from diabetes).
- Complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS).
Chronic pain may feel like:
Chronic pain can lead to other symptoms and conditions, including:
- Mood swings.
What to Expect
Our Holistic Pain Management Program is designed to be tailored to the needs of each patient and will begin with a consultation. Once our Integrative Medicine Physician assesses your needs, you will be scheduled for a series of follow-up appointments with the appropriate specialties.
You can schedule with, or your physician will refer you to an Integrative Medicine Physician for a virtual or in-person consultation. At this consultation the physician will conduct an assessment with an intensive review of your past medical history, current chronic pain issue and your desired outcomes. Together with the physician you will develop your treatment plan and a sequence of appointments.
Your Holistic Pain Management Program may include visits with the following providers over a period of months:
- Holistic Psychotherapy — Holistic psychotherapy can help people cope with the thoughts, feelings and behaviors that accompany chronic pain. They can guide you to develop new ways to think about problems and manage stressful situations.
- Acupuncture — Acupuncture has been effectively used for more than 3,000 years to treat pain and improve overall health. It can reduce inflammation and release the body’s natural painkillers.
- Chiropractic Care — Chiropractic care is designed to correct the misalignment that can contribute to pain and inflammation.
- Osteopathic Manipulation — Osteopathic manipulative treatment (OMT) is a hands-on approach to musculoskeletal disorders that is used to help correct structural imbalances in your body, improve circulation and relieve pain.
- Physical Therapy — Physical Therapy will utilize exercises that stretch and strengthen your body to reduce your pain.
- Nutrition — There is proven correlation between inflammation and pain. Being overweight can also worsen or contribute to pain. We will discuss simple steps to move away from inflammatory foods like ultra-processed foods and sweetened drinks to healthy eating patterns that include plenty of vegetables, fruits, whole grains, beans and nuts.
- Health Coach — Professionally trained Health and Wellbeing Coaches support patients in generating motivation and clarity for their success, setting realistic goals for their pain management, and strengthening habits and routines to promote improved quality of life.
- Yoga — 5-week accessible group yoga classes that address chronic pain conditions are instructed by certified yoga therapists at our Main Campus. Patients will be a part of a cohort of patients during their sessions. Ask your provider about other yoga therapy options available at Cleveland Clinic.
After you have completed a sequence of specialist provider appointments, you will return for a follow-up visit with the Integrative Medicine physician.
The components of this program are covered by most insurance plans. Participants are responsible for insurance copays for each appointment. Please check with your insurance provider to determine your coverage.
Will I have to leave my primary care physician?
No, you will keep your own primary care physician and healthcare team. The Integrative Medicine Physician is a consultant that will work in collaboration with your primary care physician.
Will I have to stop taking pain medication to participate in this program?
No, This comprehensive program is for the management of chronic pain conditions will complement your current treatment plan. This program can be used on its own or in combination with conventional treatment plans that may include medication, injections, or surgery. The integrative Medicine physician may suggest over the counter vitamins and supplement and will not add, stop or refill your current prescription pain medications.
Is Functional Medicine covered by insurance?
Physician visits are covered by most insurance plans except for Medicaid and Medicaid HMOs. Coverage for visits with the nutritionist are determined by your insurance plan and medical necessity. Additional costs may include specialized lab tests, some of which may be covered by insurance, and supplements. You will talk with a Patient Financial Advocate to review your coverage prior to your appointment.
Appointments & Locations
Holistic Pain Management appointments are currently available at main campus or may be available virtually. Please call 216.448.4325, option 1.
Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
9500 Euclid Ave.
Cleveland, Ohio 44195
The Holistic Pain Management Program is located in the Center For Functional Medicine at Main Campus is located in the Q Building, Desk Q2.
Discounted parking is available by contacting the Cleveland Clinic Parking office at 216.444.2255.
If you are parking at Main Campus, we recommend parking in the P2 parking garage located on the corner of Carnegie and E. 100th Street.
Accessible group yoga classes that address chronic pain conditions will be taught by our professional yoga therapists at our main campus at the Center for Functional Medicine. Ask your physician about group yoga or sign up by calling our appointment team at 216.448.4325, option 1.
- Accessible Chair yoga will be practiced.
- Patients will part of a cohort for 5 week program.
- New series will restart every 5 weeks.
- Classes will be held on Thursday evenings from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
- Parking pass included in patient package for $60.
- No experience or referral is necessary.
Already signed up? Parking and walking instructions are as follows:
- Directions: Find directions to any Cleveland Clinic location (Enter the address or choose from the offsite locations menu).
- Walking directions: Center For Functional Medicine at Main Campus is located in Q Building, Desk Q2. Find walking directions.
- Parking: Parking pass is included in price of admission. If you are parking at Main Campus, we recommend parking in the P2 parking garage located on the corner of Carnegie and E. 100th Street. Find more information on parking.