Living Well with Chronic Pain Shared Medical Appointment
When chronic pain does not improve with medication, injections or surgery, or when the treatment of pain creates new problems, Living Well with Chronic Pain Shared Medical Appointments in the Center for Integrative and Lifestyle Medicine can help.
Learning effective ways to manage chronic pain is critical. Untreated chronic pain can disrupt your entire life, affecting your relationships with family and friends, career, self-esteem, and ability to care for yourself. Integrative pain management experts use less invasive forms of treatment to manage pain. They will teach you skills and tools to help you to manage your symptoms and take control of your life.
Learning in a shared setting
Living Well with Chronic Pain SMAs are a series of uniquely designed medical appointments that give you continued extended time with integrative medicine providers in the company of others who share similar health concerns. More information is often exchanged during a SMA than an individual office visit because participants learn from each others’ comments and interaction with experts. Participants also enjoy group support.What you will experience during our program
What you will experience during our program
Living Well with Chronic Pain SMAs can help you get your life back as you’re guided through activities that help you break the cycle of pain:
- Yoga - Gentle stretches will help to release tension and stress for your mind and body through simple movements and breathing techniques that you can practice at home.
- Acupuncture - Acupuncture has been effectively used for more than 3,000 years to treat pain and improve overall health. It can reduce inflammation and release the body’s natural painkillers.
- Meditation - Meditation has been shown to reduce the intensity of chronic pain. The powers of focused awareness and compassion are available and accessible through simple skills you can practice in a supportive group setting, at home, and on your own.
- Guided Imagery - Use the power of your subconscious to help “program” your mind for health and wellness. Learn to anchor yourself in a state of peace and relaxation while creating new habits, positive ways of thinking, and behavior patterns that will support your healing.
- Massage - Simple, noninvasive techniques that you can practice daily will help increase your level of comfort and range of motion, improve your strength, relieve stress and much more. Learn techniques practice at home.
- Art Therapy - You don’t have to be an artist to express yourself. Art is a tool to explore for self-expression that allows you to detach and release discomfort. It can provide a respite by shifting your focus away from pain and guiding you toward greater comfort and insight about your emotions.
What Can I Expect?
Guidance from a Team of Experts
A Cleveland Clinic physician and a licensed mental health therapist and/or a behavioral health specialist lead the SMAs. They work with a team of professionals who are experts in nutrition, yoga, massage, guided imagery, acupuncture, chiropractic care and Chinese herbal medicine.
We strongly encourage each participant to see a holistic therapist for individual weekly sessions throughout the eight-week program. We have noticed greater improvement in managing pain symptoms when participants take advantage of this additional form of treatment.
Living Well with Chronic Pain SMAs are three and one-half hours long and take place once a week for eight weeks. During the program, you will develop a handbook filled with useful tools to guide you through daily activities and help you improve your quality of life.
Is this program covered by insurance?
Shared medical appointments are covered by most insurance plans. Participants are responsible for insurance copays for each appointment and for a one-time charge for materials. (Cleveland
Clinic employees have no copay for the physician component of this program.) Materials are $50 and include all books, literature and supplies. Material fees are non-refundable.
Where are Integrative Pain Management SMAs offered?
Living Well with Chronic Pain Shared Medical Appointments are offered at the Center for Integrative and Lifestyle Medicine, in the serene surroundings of the Wellness Institute at the Cleveland Clinic Lyndhurst Campus, 1950 Richmond Rd, Lyndhurst, OH 44124.For the current schedule or additional information, call 216.448.4325,and select option 4.