Living Well with Chronic Pain Shared Medical Appointment
When chronic pain does not improve with medication, injections or surgery, or when the treatment of pain creates new problems, Pain Management Shared Medical Appointments in the Center for Integrative and Lifestyle Medicine can help.
This program treats chronic pain that does not improve with medication, injections or surgery, and can help when pain treatment creates new problems. An expert team teaches effective ways to manage chronic pain through yoga, acupuncture, meditation, hypnosis, massage, art therapy and Reiki.
Shared Medical Appointments (SMAs) are a series of uniquely designed medical appointments that give you extended time with integrative medicine providers in the company of others who share similar health concerns. More information is often exchanged during a SMA than an individual office visit because participants learn from each others’ comments and interaction with experts. Participants also enjoy group support.
What you will experience during our program
Integrative Pain Management SMAs are in-depth shared appointments, held once a week over eight weeks. They can help you break the pain cycle as you are guided through activities that help you get your life back, including:
- Yoga - Gentle stretches will help to release tension and stress for your mind and body through simple movements and breathing techniques that you can practice at home.
- Acupuncture - Acupuncture has been effectively used for more than 3,000 years to treat pain and improve overall health. It can reduce inflammation and release the body’s natural painkillers.
- Meditation - Meditation has been shown to reduce the intensity of chronic pain. The powers of focused awareness and compassion are available and accessible through simple skills you can practice in a supportive group setting, at home, and on your own.
- Guided Imagery - Use the power of your subconscious to help you “program” your mind for health and wellness. Learn to anchor yourself in a state of peace and relaxation while creating new habits, positive ways of thinking, and behavior patterns that will support your healing journey. Learn different techniques to explore the emotional connections to physical discomfort.
- Massage - Simple, noninvasive techniques that you can practice daily will help increase your level of comfort and range of motion, improve your strength, relieve stress and much more. Learn techniques practice at home.
- Art Therapy - You don’t have to be an artist to express yourself. Art is a tool to explore for self-expression that allows you to detach and release discomfort. It can provide a respite by shifting your focus away from pain and guiding you toward greater comfort and insight about your emotions.
What Can I Expect?
How will I be able maintain progress?
During the program, you will develop a handbook filled with useful tools to guide you through daily activities and help you improve your quality of life.
Guidance from a team of experts
A Cleveland Clinic physician and a heart-centered hypnotherapist lead the SMAs, working with a team of professionals who are experts in nutrition, yoga, massage, guided imagery, acupuncture,
chiropractic care and Chinese herbal medicine.
We strongly encourage each participant to see a holistic therapist for individual weekly sessions throughout the eight-week program. We have noticed greater improvement in managing pain symptoms when participants take advantage of this additional form of treatment.
Living Well with Chronic Pain Shared Medical Appointments are three and one-half hours long and take place once a week for eight weeks. During the program, you will develop a handbook filled with useful tools to guide you through daily activities and help you improve your quality of life.
Is this program covered by insurance?
Shared medical appointments are covered by most insurance plans. Participants are responsible for insurance copays for each weekly session, and for a one-time charge for program materials. (There is no copay for the physician component of this program for Cleveland Clinic employees.)
Where are Integrative Pain Management SMAs offered?
Living Well with Chronic Pain Shared Medical Appointments are offered at the Center for Integrative and Lifestyle Medicine, in the serene surroundings of the Wellness Institute at the Cleveland Clinic Lyndhurst Campus, 1950 Richmond Rd, Lyndhurst, OH 44124.