The successful Cardiovascular Pathology Fellowship applicant will have exposure to approximately 6,000 surgical cardiac and vascular specimens and 250 autopsies per year (60% of which are cardiac and vascular cases).
The environment is rich with opportunities for learning and engaging in clinical and basic research activities within the Robert J. Tomsich Pathology & Laboratory Medicine Institute and in collaboration with many departments outside the institute, including Cardiovascular Medicine, Cardiothoracic Surgery, Rheumatology, Transplant Center, Genetics and Biomedical Engineering. The fellow has the opportunity to participate in conferences held each year that focus on current thinking in adult and pediatric cardiac and vascular issues.
- Participation in the daily gross cardiovascular surgical rounds.
- Review of surgical, autopsy and consultation case material.
- Participation and review of complex cardiovascular autopsy cases.
- Participation in molecular cardiovascular diagnostic cases.
- Interdepartmental conference presentation with attending supervision.
- Resident teaching.
- Participation in available research opportunities leading to publications and presentation at local/national meetings is expected.
- ACGME-accredited combined Anatomic/Clinical Pathology or Anatomic Pathology residency training program.
- Eligible for licensure in Ohio.
Paul Suchy, DM, MSM
Administrator, Center for Pathology Education
Robert J. Tomsich Pathology and Laboratory Medicine Institute
9500 Euclid Avenue, L-21
Cleveland, OH 44195