Childbirth & Parenting Education
Hillcrest Hospital offers an extensive listing of childbirth and parenting education classes to help you prepare before the baby arrives, during labor and delivery and for when you bring the new addition home. Use our Find a Doctor tool to locate an obstetrician or midwife in your area or to locate a pediatrician in your area for a new baby.
- Learn more about Childbirth & Parenting Education classes
- Access the Childbirth & Parenting Education events calendar
- Learn about the ABCs of safe sleep for your baby
Birth certificates for babies born at Hillcrest Hospital are obtained from the Bureau of Vital Statistics at Cleveland City Hall. They can be ordered by internet, by mail, by telephone or with walk-in service. For more information call 216.664.2000.
In addition, the Office of Vital Statistics at Euclid City Hall is now able to provide birth certificates for all people born in Ohio.
Healthy Pregnancy Guide
It is not unusual to have questions during your pregnancy. We hope this guide will provide you and your family members with answers to common questions about your pregnancy and delivery. Also remember that your health care providers are here to assist you with any questions and concerns.
Level III NICU
Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
Hillcrest Hospital's Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU), completed in 2011, is a division of Cleveland Clinic Children's. This state-of-the-art 35-bed Level III nursery unit accommodates the special needs of babies such as breathing problems and problems associated with very low and extremely low birth weight.
Covered 24/7 by in-house neonatologists, neonatal nurse practitioners and specially trained neonatal nursing staff, this NICU boasts designated pediatric respiratory therapists, an on-unit pediatric pharmacy and a variety of pediatric subspecialty support services. Patients are cared for in private, individual rooms that were specially constructed to facilitate family-centered care. Light and sound levels are designed and modified to meet the neurodevelopment needs of the babies.
For more information on Hillcrest Hospital's Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, call 440.312.5588.
Child Life Services
Child Life Specialists are health professionals who assist children and adolescents and their families as they prepare for and cope with pediatric medical and emotional experiences such as surgery, hospitalization, tests and procedures. We’ve discovered that when children understand what is happening to them, they cope more effectively and experience less psychological trauma and anxiety. Our Child Life Specialists are trained in child development, child life, education and psychology.
The patients and families of Cleveland Clinic Children’s, appreciate your generosity! The hospital environment can be easily brightened by having child-appropriate games and toys for all ages.
If you have questions or would like to know our greatest needs at this time, please call Allison Bahar at 440.312.0154.
Due to infection control, we are accepting new items only.
- Musical toys
- Light up toys
- Stacking toys
- Mobiles (must be plastic, no cloth parts)
- Activity gyms
- Glider/Rocking Chairs (all wood, no fabric)
- Lullaby and soft music tapes and cds
- Crib Mirrors
- Texture balls
- Shape sorters
- Bumbo seats
- Little Tike and Fisher Price “Little People” (structures, cars, planes, furniture, people and animals)
- Sound books
- Play food and dishes
- Toy musical instruments
- Wooden Puzzles
- Pop-up books
- Light up and Musical Toys
- Trains (compatible with Brio Tracks)
- Go Fish
- Old Maid
- Doctor Play Kits
- Sports balls/cards
- Athletic clothing/tickets/memorabilia
- Advanced arts and crafts kits (latch hook, stitching, bead kits, wood crafts, etc.)
- Nerf basketballs
- New fingernail polish
- CDs/Popular/current artists
- Portable/personal CD players
- Small boomboxes (w/ cd and tape players)
- Portable DVD players
- Video Games for: X-Box, Wii, PlayStation 1, PlayStation 2, Game Cube, Game Boy, Leap Frog, Nintendo DS
- Hand-held video games
- Guess Who
- Apples to Apples
- Clue Jr.
- Puzzles (100 piece and smaller)
- Boggle Jr.
- Connect Four
- Scattergories, Jr.
- Scrabble Jr.
- Phase 10
- Monopoly, Jr.
- Sudoku books
- Word search books
- Crossword books
Art & Craft Supplies
- Coloring books
- Colored sand
- Sand Art kits
- Magnetic tape
- Sun catchers and sun catcher paint
- Foam art
- Velvet (fuzzy) posters
- Sticker scenes
- Washable Markers
- Beads & elastic string
- Individual craft kits
- Model kits
- Bead/jewelry kits
- Science kits
- Sketch pads
- Finger paint paper
- Pom poms
- Glue dots
- Coloring posters
- Tissue paper
- Paint brushes (skinny and wide handles)
- Scrapbooking supplies
- Craft Glue
- Glitter Glue pens
- Glue Sticks
- Construction paper
- Tacky (craft) glue
- Jewelry-making kits
- Watercolor paints
- Model Magic - white
- Pipe cleaners
- Kids Scissors
- Ziploc bags (snack, sandwich, quart, gallon)
The items below are used for distraction and therapeutic purposes by Child Life Specialists during tests and procedures:
- Play medical kits
- “I Spy” books
- Party blowers
- Water tubes
- Glitter Wands
- Sound & music books
- Music cds – relaxation
- Light-up Spinners
Prize Box Items
Any small dollar store-type items that would be used to give patients as a reward after procedures, completing sticker charts, etc.:
- Fun pads
- Hair accessories
- Note pads
- Hot wheels
- Key chains
- Temporary tattoos
Other Gift Ideas
- Movie theater gift certificates
- Gift certificates to: Blockbuster, Best Buy, Old Navy, Gap, Target, Wal-Mart, Toys R Us, Kohl’s, Giant Eagle, etc.
- Visit www.amazon.com; Click on Wish List link at top of page; Type in Cleveland Clinic Child Life
- For other Child Life program needs, please contact Shannon Sonnhalter, Child Life Supervisor, at 216.444.3165
- For monetary donations of $25,000 or more, contact Heather Huston-Barkley at 216.445.1038. Please specify Child Life Department as the recipient.
- No used items please. We accept NEW toys, games, books, and stuffed animals due to our infection control policy.
- Due to the acute illnesses of our patients, we are unable to allow donors to personally distribute gifts directly to our patients.
- Violent games, books, toy guns, and projectile toys are not accepted.
- Please refrain from donating candy, food, and religious materials.
- We are currently in need of new releases in all ratings, especially PG and PG-13 DVDS at this time.
- Art and craft materials must have the non-toxic seal (AP,CP, Health Label Non-Toxic)
- Please avoid toys with detachable parts which can be removed and swallowed. AVOID toys which can break and leave sharp edges.
- No items with cloth are permitted. Toys must be plastic or have a washable surface.
- No latex items due to some children’s sensitivity to natural rubber latex. Please:
- Buy only specific name brands whenever possible
- Do not donate items known to contain rubber latex, including, but not limited to: rubber balloons, Koosh balls, rubber stamps, rubber balls, rubber erasers, etc.
- Mylar balloons and vinyl items are permitted.
- Monetary donations can be directed to the Child Life Department.
- A comprehensive wish list consisting of monetary break down equivalents is available upon request.
If you are planning on dropping off a donation, please contact Allison Baharat 440.312.0154 to set up a time and place. We would be happy to meet you at your car with a cart. If you would like a tax receipt, please inform us prior to your delivery.
Large donations can be scheduled by contacting our Institutional Relations and Development Department. If you wish to use this service, please call 215.445.2033.
Thank you for your generosity and thoughtful consideration!
A child’s illness or injury is difficult for everyone involved. Our Pediatric Unit offers comprehensive care that makes your child’s hospital stay more relaxed and helps put your fears at rest.
Hospital Care Coordinated With Your Physician
Your child's primary care physician (PCP) will coordinate your child’s care during the hospital stay.
Your PCP may admit and manage their patients, or they may choose to have their inpatients managed by private practice pediatricians or Cleveland Clinic Children’s pediatric hospitalist service.
The pediatric hospitalist will provide in-house management upon request by private physicians and will also be available in-house for emergencies and consultations 24/7 for pediatric patients.
Experienced pediatric registered nurses provide 24-hour care to pediatric patients of all ages who require hospital admission for:
- Respiratory infections
- Gastroenteritis with dehydration
- Other common childhood illnesses
- General surgery
Advanced Treatment Options
The medical services available in the Pediatric Unit include:
- Inpatient management for acute illness
- Respiratory treatments
- IV fluids and antibiotics
- Cardio-respiratory monitoring
- Outpatient and short-stay treatments for lab work, surgery and special procedure recovery
- Social services
Cleveland Clinic Children's at Hillcrest Hospital offers expanded services for children
Cleveland Clinic Children's has expanded its outpatient services with the recent opening of a new pediatric suite. The clinic provides families a convenient, suburban location to access Cleveland Clinic Children's pediatric specialists in the following areas:
- Primary Care Pediatrics
- Adolescent Medicine
- Be Well Kids Weight Management program
- Behavioral Health
- Gastroenterology/GI Surgery
- Infectious Disease
Cleveland Clinic Children's at Hillcrest Hospital is located in Hillcrest Medical Office Building II, on the second floor. For appointments, call 216.444.KIDS(5437).
- For a pediatrician referral, Find a Doctor online or call Medline at 440.312.4533.
Cleveland Clinic Children's at Hillcrest Hospital
6801 Mayfield Road
Mayfield Heights, OH