Hillcrest Hospital offers a wide range of pediatric services designed to help you take care of your child at every stage of their development. From planning your birthing arrangements to taking care of an active teen, our team of pediatric caregivers will provide you with the tools you need.
Along with primary care pediatrics, we provide specialized care in the areas of neonatology, pediatric cardiology, pediatric anesthesiology, pediatric hematology/oncology, pediatric endocrinology and more.
For information on your child's immunization schedule, dosing chart, when to worry about a fever and what to expect at each stage of their development, download our Children’s Health Guide.
Children and Adolescent Services
Find a Pediatrician
Find the right primary care provider for your child today.
Pediatric Emergency Department
Hillcrest Hospital is proud to be one of the only pediatric emergency departments on the East Side. Our Pediatric Emergency Department is open 24/7 and is designed to keep your child at ease. Our team of specially trained clinicians help calm young patients and explain what they are going through.
Cleveland Clinic Children's Subspecialists
Hillcrest Hospital offers many Cleveland Clinic Children's specialty services onsite.
Pediatric Fracture Care
- Make your own appointment for the fastest access to your child's fracture care by visiting clevelandclinic.org/pediatricfractures or calling 216.444.2606.
Level III NICU
Hillcrest Hospital's Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) is a state-of-the-art 35-bed Level III nursery unit that accommodates the needs of babies with breathing problems, problems associated with very low and extremely low birth weight and other conditions that require special care.
Our NICU provides the highest degree of quality care for the most critically ill infants. Neonatologists, neonatal nurse practitioners, registered nurses and specially trained respiratory therapists are available 24 hours a day, and each baby receives constant observation and evaluation from our specially trained team. We also offer an on-unit pediatric pharmacy and a variety of pediatric subspecialty support services.
Patients are cared for in private rooms that are specially constructed to facilitate family-centered care. Light and sound levels are designed and modified to meet the neurodevelopment needs of babies.
For more information on Hillcrest Hospital's NICU, call 440.312.5588.
Child Life Services
Cleveland Clinic Children's Child Life Specialists are health professionals who assist children, adolescents and their families as they prepare for and cope with pediatric medical and emotional experiences, such as surgery, hospitalization, tests and procedures. We’ve discovered that when children understand what is happening to them, they cope more effectively and experience less psychological trauma and anxiety. Our Child Life Specialists are trained in child development, child life, education and psychology.
Donate to Child Life
The patients and families of Cleveland Clinic Children’s appreciate your generosity! The hospital environment can be easily brightened by having child-appropriate games and toys for all ages.
If you have questions, or would like to know our current greatest needs, please call Allison Bahar at 440.312.0154.
Due to infection control, we can only accept new items.
- Musical toys
- Light up toys
- Stacking toys
- Mobiles (must be plastic, no cloth parts)
- Activity gyms
- Glider/Rocking Chairs (all wood, no fabric)
- Lullaby and soft music tapes and cds
- Crib Mirrors
- Texture balls
- Shape sorters
- Bumbo seats
- Little Tike and Fisher Price “Little People” (structures, cars, planes, furniture, people and animals)
- Sound books
- Play food and dishes
- Toy musical instruments
- Wooden Puzzles
- Pop-up books
- Light up and Musical Toys
- Trains (compatible with Brio Tracks)
- Go Fish
- Old Maid
- Doctor Play Kits
- Sports balls/cards
- Athletic clothing/tickets/memorabilia
- Advanced arts and crafts kits (latch hook, stitching, bead kits, wood crafts, etc.)
- Nerf basketballs
- New fingernail polish
- CDs/Popular/current artists
- Portable/personal CD players
- Small boomboxes (w/ cd and tape players)
- Portable DVD players
- Video Games for: X-Box, Wii, PlayStation 1, PlayStation 2, Game Cube, Game Boy, Leap Frog, Nintendo DS
- Hand-held video games
- Guess Who
- Apples to Apples
- Clue Jr.
- Puzzles (100 piece and smaller)
- Boggle Jr.
- Connect Four
- Scattergories, Jr.
- Scrabble Jr.
- Phase 10
- Monopoly, Jr.
- Sudoku books
- Word search books
- Crossword books
Art & Craft Supplies
- Coloring books
- Colored sand
- Sand Art kits
- Magnetic tape
- Sun catchers and sun catcher paint
- Foam art
- Velvet (fuzzy) posters
- Sticker scenes
- Washable Markers
- Beads & elastic string
- Individual craft kits
- Model kits
- Bead/jewelry kits
- Science kits
- Sketch pads
- Finger paint paper
- Pom poms
- Glue dots
- Coloring posters
- Tissue paper
- Paint brushes (skinny and wide handles)
- Scrapbooking supplies
- Craft Glue
- Glitter Glue pens
- Glue Sticks
- Construction paper
- Tacky (craft) glue
- Jewelry-making kits
- Watercolor paints
- Model Magic - white
- Pipe cleaners
- Kids Scissors
- Ziploc bags (snack, sandwich, quart, gallon)
The items below are used for distraction and therapeutic purposes by Child Life Specialists during tests and procedures:
- Play medical kits
- “I Spy” books
- Party blowers
- Water tubes
- Glitter Wands
- Sound & music books
- Music cds – relaxation
- Light-up Spinners
Prize Box Items
Any small dollar store-type items that would be used to give patients as a reward after procedures, completing sticker charts, etc.:
- Fun pads
- Hair accessories
- Note pads
- Hot wheels
- Key chains
- Temporary tattoos
Other Gift Ideas
- Movie theater gift certificates
- Gift certificates to: Blockbuster, Best Buy, Old Navy, Gap, Target, Wal-Mart, Toys R Us, Kohl’s, Giant Eagle, etc.
- Visit www.amazon.com; Click on Wish List link at top of page; Type in Cleveland Clinic Child Life
- For other Child Life program needs, please contact Shannon Sonnhalter, Child Life Supervisor, at 216.444.3165
- For monetary donations of $25,000 or more, contact Heather Huston-Barkley at 216.445.1038. Please specify Child Life Department as the recipient.
- No used items please. We accept NEW toys, games, books, and stuffed animals due to our infection control policy.
- Due to the acute illnesses of our patients, we are unable to allow donors to personally distribute gifts directly to our patients.
- Violent games, books, toy guns, and projectile toys are not accepted.
- Please refrain from donating candy, food, and religious materials.
- We are currently in need of new releases in all ratings, especially PG and PG-13 DVDS at this time.
- Art and craft materials must have the non-toxic seal (AP,CP, Health Label Non-Toxic)
- Please avoid toys with detachable parts which can be removed and swallowed. AVOID toys which can break and leave sharp edges.
- No items with cloth are permitted. Toys must be plastic or have a washable surface.
- No latex items due to some children’s sensitivity to natural rubber latex. Please:
- Buy only specific name brands whenever possible
- Do not donate items known to contain rubber latex, including, but not limited to: rubber balloons, Koosh balls, rubber stamps, rubber balls, rubber erasers, etc.
- Mylar balloons and vinyl items are permitted.
- Monetary donations can be directed to the Child Life Department.
- A comprehensive wish list consisting of monetary break down equivalents is available upon request.
Drop Off/Pick Up Information
If you are planning on dropping off a donation, please contact Allison Baharat 440.312.0154 to set up a time and place. We would be happy to meet you at your car with a cart. If you would like a tax receipt, please inform us prior to your delivery.
Large donations can be scheduled by contacting our Institutional Relations and Development Department. If you wish to use this service, please call 215.445.2033.
A child’s illness or injury is difficult for everyone involved. If your child is admitted to Hillcrest Hospital, our Pediatric Inpatient Unit offers comprehensive care to make their hospital stay more relaxed and help put your fears at rest. The unit is staffed 24 hours a day by physicians and nurses who specialize in pediatric healthcare.
Hospital Care Coordinated With Your Physician
Your child's primary care physician will coordinate their care during their hospital stay. Primary care physicians may admit and manage their patients, or they may choose to have their inpatients managed by private practice pediatricians or Cleveland Clinic Children’s pediatric hospitalists.
Pediatric hospitalists are hospital-based pediatricians that oversee the medical care for a child during their hospital stay. They provide in-house management upon request by private physicians and are also available for emergencies and consultations 24/7.
We provide care for pediatric patients of all ages who require hospital admission for:
- Gastroenteritis with dehydration
- General surgery
- Respiratory infections
- Other common childhood illnesses
Advanced Treatment Options
Medical services available in the Pediatric Inpatient Unit include:
- Inpatient management for acute illness
- Respiratory treatments
- IV fluids and antibiotics
- Cardio-respiratory monitoring
- Outpatient and short-stay treatments for lab work, surgery and special procedure recovery
- Social services
Parents can make appointments to see Cleveland Clinic Children’s subspecialists in the following specialties at Hillcrest Hospital:
Developmental and Rehabilitation Pediatrics
Pediatric Infectious Diseases
Pediatric Pulmonary Medicine
Pediatric Rheumatology and Immunology
- Jalal Abu-Shaweesh, MD
- Hany Aziz, MD
- Vladimir Burdjalov, MD
- Sabine Iben, MD
- Sreenivas Karnati, MD
- Yoav Littner, MD
- Firas Saker, MD
- Jeffrey Schwersenski, MD
Cleveland Clinic Children's at Hillcrest Hospital
6801 Mayfield Road
Mayfield Heights, OH
For appointments, call 216.444.KIDS (5437).