The Center for Personalized Genetic Healthcare (CPGH), clinical arm of the Genomic Medicine Institute, provides clinical genetic services and support for individuals with a personal and/or family history of a genetic condition. Identifying risk for an inherited condition allows individuals and families to personalize screening guidelines, medical management and treatment options.
Our general genetics specialty clinics include:
- Early-Onset Alzheimer Disease (EOAD) Clinic
- Comprehensive Huntington’s Disease Clinic
- Neurofibromatosis Clinic
- Neurogenetics & Metabolic Clinic
- Tuberous Sclerosis Clinic
Scheduling an Appointment
Prior to requesting an appointment, you will need to obtain a referral from your physician. If you are a patient outside the Cleveland Clinic health system, please have your physician complete a referral form and fax to 216.445.6935. To learn more about how to prepare for your appointment, review the "Before your visit" tab.Download our Referral Form
The Center for Personalized Genetic Healthcare (CPGH) is committed to providing comprehensive clinical genetic services, education and support to patients and family members. Our team of genetic experts will work with other Cleveland Clinic primary care providers and specialists to personalize your care by incorporating your genetic information into your overall health care plan.
- Adnan Alsadah, MD
- Angelika Erwin, MD, PhD
- David Flannery, MD
- Harry (Adrian) Lesmana, MD, FAAP, FACMG
- Marvin Natowicz, MD, PhD
- Khoon Ghee Queenie Tan, MD
- Xiangling Wang, MD, PhD
- Aditi Yadav, MD
- Vickie Zurcher, MD, FAAP, FACMG
- Alexandria Haseley, MS, CGC
- Sarah Mazzola, MS, CGC
- Lauren Palange, MS, CGC
- Mary-Beth Roberts, MS, CGC
- Allison Schreiber, MS, CGC
- Amy Shealy, MS, CGC
Who Should Be Seen
You should consider having a genetic evaluation if you have a family and/or personal history of the following:
- Known genetic conditions (e.g., Huntington's disease, myotonic dystrophy, muscular dystrophy, Charcot-Marie Tooth, thrombophilia)
- Genetic mutation carrier in the family (e.g., sickle cell anemia, cystic fibrosis, Tay-Sachs disease)
- Families concerned about recurrence risk in future pregnancies
- Known family history of genetic or developmental conditions
Contact your primary care provider or the Center for Personalized Genetic Healthcare (CPGH) to discuss whether a genetic counseling evaluation is appropriate for you.
What to Expect
Before Your Visit
Physician ReferralPrior to requesting an appointment, you will need to obtain a physician referral. If you are a patient outside the Cleveland Clinic health system, please have your physician complete a referral form and fax to 216.445.6935.
Collect Your Medical Records
If you are a patient outside the Cleveland Clinic health system, you should send an authorization for the release of medical records form to each external facility. You may arrange to have medical records faxed (30 pages or less) to our department at 216.445.6935 or sent postal mail.
Center for Personalized Genetic Healthcare
Attn: General Genetics
9500 Euclid Ave. R4
Cleveland, OH 44195
Collect Your Family Health History
To make the most of your visit, you should gather family health history information prior to your appointment. It may be helpful for you to talk with your relatives about genetic or developmental conditions running in your family. Specifically, you will want to discuss the following:
- Who in the family has been diagnosed with a genetic condition, and how are they related to you?
- What type of genetic disorder did each affected relative have (e.g., Huntington's disease, muscular dystrophy, thrombophilia, hemochromatosis)?
- At what age was each individual diagnosed with their genetic condition?
* If a precise age is not known, it can be helpful to determine the approximate decade in which they were diagnosed (e.g., diagnosed in their 40s, or 70s).
- Has anyone in the family had genetic testing?
At Your Visit
We will provide personalized, expert genetic counseling and education to you and your family. During your visit, you will see a genetics expert (genetic counselor and/or clinical geneticist) for a genetics evaluation. You may also be scheduled with other Cleveland Clinic providers during your visit depending on your medical needs and physician availability.
Our comprehensive method for genetic counseling involves:
- Diagnosis of a genetic condition through review of family and medical history, examination by a clinical geneticist, and if appropriate, genetic testing
- Education about your specific diagnosis and any associated health risks if known
- Suggestions for future medical care to optimize your health
- Discussion of health risks to family members
- Recommendations regarding genetic testing for at-risk family members and coordination of testing, if desired
- If genetic testing is indicated, blood can usually be drawn on the same day following your appointment.
Following Your Visit
After your visit, it may take anywhere from a few days up to two weeks for your clinical appointment notes to reach the healthcare providers that you requested to receive a copy. We are also glad to communicate with your healthcare providers about your case as needed. You are always welcome to follow up with us with questions regarding your visit.
Cost & Insurance
Genetic counseling and testing are billed as two separate services:Genetic Counseling
Many insurance companies will cover 96040, which is the CPT code for genetic counseling. However, we ask that you check with your insurance company to verify that your plan covers the cost. If your plan does not cover 96040, please contact us at 216.636.1768 and we can discuss the proper payment arrangements with you.
If genetic testing is indicated, your genetic counselor will discuss costs and insurance coverage during your appointment.
Some patients are concerned that their genetic information may be used against them. To learn about your patient rights and protections in place to prevent genetic discrimination, read our article on GINA.
To learn more about billing options and financial assistance, review our billing and insurance information.