Cleveland Clinic’s esophageal cancer program brings together a multidisciplinary team of oncologists, gastroenterologists, and surgeons who use sophisticated diagnostic testing and work together to provide a customized plan of care along with supportive services for each patient. Because esophageal cancer can affect swallowing and quality of life, a team of nurses, dietitians, social workers, and pain management specialists are also part of the care team.
Why Choose Us?
- Top-ranked programs. Our multidisciplinary team of experts are part of some of the top ranked programs in the country according to US News & World Report, including
- #1 ranked Heart & Vascular Institute
- #2 ranked Gastroenterology program
- #5 ranked Cancer Center
- Comprehensive program. Our team offers a full range of diagnostic tools and treatment options, personalized to each patient.
- A team approach. Our experts continually seek to improve cancer care through tumor board meetings where they review cancer cases for multidisciplinary clinical management decisions, including discussing new treatments or experimental therapies.
- Surgical expertise. Since 2000 Cleveland Clinic surgeons have performed over 1,000 operations for esophageal cancer (esophagectomies) with a safety profile much better than that reported nationwide by the Society of Thoracic Surgery (less than 2%). Cleveland Clinic has earned a distinguished three-star rating from The Society of Thoracic Surgeons (STS) for its patient care and outcomes for esophagectomy. The three-star rating, which denotes the highest category of quality, places Cleveland Clinic among the elite for general thoracic surgery in the United States and Canada. These results are from the General Thoracic Surgery Database (three-year period ending 6/30/2018).
- Superior Outcomes. Our goal is to provide the best possible outcomes and fastest recovery for our patients. Review our outcomes below.
- Clinical Trials. Access the latest treatments through advanced clinical trials available at Cleveland Clinic.
The Esophageal Cancer Program brings together specialists in gastroenterology, medical oncology, radiation oncology, and thoracic surgery.
Our Medical Team
Amit Bhatt, MD, FASGE
Prabhleen Chahal, MD
Sunguk Jang, MD
Madhusudhan Sanaka, MD
John Vargo, MD, MPH
Gregory Zuccaro, Jr., MD
Bassam Estfan, MD
Alok Khorana, MD
Smitha Krishnamurthi, MD
Michael McNamara, MD
Marc Shapiro, MD
Davendra Sohal, MD, MPH
Gregory Videtic, MD
Neil Woody, MD
Usman Ahmad, MD
Alejandro Bribriesco, MD
Sudish Murthy, MD, PhD
Siva Raja, MD, PhD
Daniel Raymond, MD
What We Treat
Diagnosis & Treatment
In order to provide the best care possible, our team of healthcare professionals offers patients a full range of diagnostic and imaging tools. These include:
- Upper endoscopy (EGD) with endoscopic ultrasound
- Swallowing exams (Barium esophagram)
- CT Scan
- Full Body PET scan
Treatment is based on the specific type of cancer you have, the location of your cancer, the stage of your cancer based on diagnostic tests, as well as several patient factors such as age, fitness, other medical problems, and patient preference. Cleveland Clinic offers a wide range of treatments.
Endoscopic procedures for Superficial Cancers
- Endoscopic mucosal resection (EMR)
- Endoscopic submucosal dissection (ESD)
- Esophagectomy – both traditional and minimally invasive (including robotically assisted)
Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy
- Systemic cancer
- Combination therapy with surgery
- Definitive Therapy
- Palliative Therapy
For more information
Whether you are coming from around the corner or around the world, you want to know what to expect before, during and after your visit with us. If you have any questions while reviewing this information, please contact us. We are happy to answer any questions you may have.
To make an appointment, call 866.223.8100.
To complete all testing, you will need to stay in the Cleveland area for 1 to 2 days. Your doctor will provide you with a plan of care and let you know when you need to come back for another visit.
Traveling to Cleveland Clinic
We want your trip to Cleveland Clinic to be as easy as possible.
Please note: Parking for your appointment will vary depending on where your appointment is. Check with the scheduler for specific parking instructions.
Patient Services & Support
In addition to offering state of the art diagnostic techniques and esophageal cancer treatment methods, our specialists offer an array of resources that can help patients cope with the demands of cancer. Patients are encouraged to take advantage of these resources to ease the burden of managing cancer.
Research & Innovations
Cleveland Clinic Cancer Center clinical trials offer patients important treatment options and access to the latest treatments and procedures resulting from cancer research.
For Medical Professionals
We offer several options for referring patients and strive to ensure timely responses to our referring physicians and healthcare professional colleagues.
- Fill out. Print. Fax. You will receive confirmation once your patient’s appointment has been scheduled.
- Or use our secure online Web Appointment form.
Call the Referring Physician Hotline 24/7: 855.REFER.123 (855.733.3712)
Cleveland Clinic Cancer Center is committed to working with you to provide the best care for your patients. Our team is also dedicated to the training and education of medical professionals to advance cancer care and research.
- View our For Medical Professionals resources
- Visit Consult QD, a site for physicians and healthcare professionals. Discover the latest research insights, innovations and emerging advances from Cleveland Clinic specialists.
View some of our recent articles below:
- Role of the Robot in Evolving Thoracic Surgery Practice
- Thoracic Malignancy Care: Secret to Success Resides in the Team
- Endoscopic Treatment of Early Esophageal and Gastric Cancer: A Case Study
- A Minimally Invasive Treatment for Early GI Cancers
- Image of Note: Using Robotics to Expand Esophagectomy Options