The Culinary Medicine for Chronic Disease Shared Medical Appointments (SMA) utilizes culinary medicine to improve and possibly even reverse common chronic diseases including diabetes, high blood pressure (hypertension), high blood cholesterol (dyslipidemia), and obesity. Culinary Medicine for Chronic Disease SMA is for adults of any age who have been diagnosed with two or more lifestyle-related chronic conditions.
All group sessions will be held in our Culinary Medicine Teaching Kitchen with our chef and physician for hands-on practice and/or culinary demonstration. Not only will you will learn how to shop, plan and prepare healthy meals, but best of all you’ll get samples to taste how great nutritious meals can be.
To learn more about or register for a Culinary Medicine for Chronic Disease Shared Medical Appointment, please call 216.448.4325, option 4.
- Appointments are offered on Tuesday evenings from 5 – 8 p.m. at the Cleveland Clinic Lyndhurst Campus in Lyndhurst, Ohio.
- Please call 216.448.4325, option 4 for more information or to register.
How Program Helps
Culinary Medicine for Chronic Disease SMA is a series shared group medical appointments facilitated by a physician, professional chef and a behavioral therapist. You will learn the following skills that can help you take control of your health:
- Recognize the healing potential of different types of whole foods.
- Learn how to make healthy choices at the grocery store.
- Develop a foundation of culinary techniques to create simple, healthful meals at home.
In the appointments, you will:
- Learn the latest research on culinary medicine.
- Learn how food can act as medicine.
- Experience the information firsthand in the teaching kitchen with a culinary demonstration from our chef.
- Have the opportunity to practice your new skills with individual feedback and encouragement from our team.
- Sample the delicious recipes prepared during the appointment. You will receive a packet of recipes created by our chef to use at home.
Your individual medical concerns will be evaluated in a one-on-one appointment with a physician prior to the first session, in the shared medical appointments, and in a follow-up visit after the series has ended.
Shared medical appointments are covered by most insurance plans. Participants are responsible for insurance copays for each appointment and for a one-time charge for program materials. (There is no copay for the physician component of this program for Cleveland Clinic employees.) Material fees are non-refundable.
Cleveland Clinic Culinary Medicine for Chronic Disease appointments are offered at the Center for Integrative & Lifestyle Medicine, in the serene surroundings of the Wellness Institute on Cleveland Clinic’s Lyndhurst campus in Lyndhurst, Ohio.