The Culinary Medicine for Chronic Disease Shared Medical Appointments (SMAs) utilize culinary medicine to improve and possibly even reverse common chronic diseases including diabetes, high blood pressure (hypertension), high blood cholesterol (dyslipidemia), and obesity. The Culinary Medicine for Chronic Disease SMA is for adults of any age who have been diagnosed with two or more lifestyle-related chronic conditions.
All group sessions will be held in our Teaching Kitchen with our chefs and physician for hands-on practice and culinary demonstrations. You will learn how to shop, plan and prepare healthy meals, and will get samples to taste how great nutritious meals can be.
To schedule an initial screening visit or to learn more about the Culinary Medicine for Chronic Disease SMA, please call 216.448.4325, option 1.
How the Program Helps
Culinary Medicine for Chronic Disease SMA is a series of six shared group medical appointments facilitated by a physician and professional chefs. You will learn the following skills that can help you take control of your health:
- Recognize the healing potential of different types of whole foods.
- Learn how to read labels and make healthy choices at the grocery store.
- Develop a foundation of culinary techniques to create simple, healthful meals at home.
In the appointments, you will:
- Learn the research on how food can act as medicine.
- Have the opportunity to practice your new skills with individual feedback and encouragement from our team.
- Sample the delicious recipes prepared during the appointment. You will receive a packet of recipes created by our chef to use at home.
Your individual medical concerns will be evaluated in a one-on-one appointment with a physician prior to the first session, in the shared medical appointments, and in a follow-up visit, when needed, after the series has ended.
Shared medical appointments are covered by most insurance plans. Patients are responsible for insurance co pays at the weekly appointments. There is no copay for Cleveland Clinic Employees.
For current dates and times and to register or reserve your spot, please call the Cleveland Clinic Center for Integrative and Lifestyle Medicine at 216.448.4325, and select option 1.