Many of us notice some forgetfulness as we age. If you are concerned that your memory is not as sharp as it used to be, Cleveland Clinic Brain Health and Wellness Shared Medical Appointments (SMA) can help.
Being Proactive About Your Brain Health
You can take steps to protect and improve your cognitive function – your memory and ability to think clearly and process information - through a healthy lifestyle. Research shows that it is never too late to see positive changes in your memory and brain power by making small and sustained changes to our daily lives pertaining to:
- A healthful diet composed of nutrient-dense foods
- Regular and enjoyable physical activity
- Relaxation activities such as yoga and meditation
- A healthy approach to sleep
- Activities that require focus and concentration
In the Brain Health and Wellness SMAs, you will learn the latest research on lifestyle modifications for brain health and will practice several of the recommended activities during the appointments. Your individual medical concerns will be evaluated in a one-on-one appointment with a physician prior to the first SMA, in the shared medical appointments, and in a follow-up visit after the SMA series has ended.
The Brain Health and Wellness SMA is for adults of any age who are concerned about occasional memory lapses. Or those with a family history of dementia or Alzheimer’s disease and want to be proactive about their brain health.
To find out if Brain Health & Wellness is right for you, a lifestyle medicine specialist will first perform a thorough assessment. If we determine that further evaluation is indicated, we will refer you to the appropriate Cleveland Clinic specialists. If evaluation demonstrates that participation in our group appointments could benefit you, we will schedule your Brain Health & Wellness appointments.
How the Program Helps
How the Program Can Help
The Brain Health and Wellness SMAs can help maximize your brain health through:
- Cognitive exercises: You will receive a complementary membership to an online brain training program and will practice the brain exercises in the weekly appointments and at home. You will stimulate different parts of your brain through these brain games and other enjoyable activities in the SMA.
- Nutrition education: You will learn about the specific foods that have been shown to protect your brain health.
- Relaxation training: You will learn how meditation and mindfulness practices have been shown to improve brain health and reduce stress and anxiety. During the SMAs, you will experience the calming effects of meditation and other mind-body practices firsthand.
Covered by most plans
Shared medical appointments are covered by most insurance plans. Participants are responsible for insurance copays for each appointment and for a one-time charge for program materials. (There is no copay for the physician component of this program for Cleveland Clinic employees.) Material fees are non-refundable.