Many of us notice some forgetfulness as we age. If you are concerned that your memory is not as sharp as it used to be, Cleveland Clinic Brain Health and Wellness can help.
Being proactive about brain health
Common health problems that can affect memory include menopause, Parkinson’s disease, depression and anxiety, diabetes, sleep apnea, hypertension, cardiovascular disease, stroke, multiple sclerosis and alcoholism. If you have any of these conditions, you can take steps to protect your cognitive (thinking and understanding) abilities. Research shows that you can build memory and brain power in three ways:
- Through deeply engaging, meaningful activities
- With physical activity that enhances the flow of nutrients and oxygen continued
- By learning new skills that require intense focus and concentration
How the Program Helps
How our program can help you
In six in-depth appointments over three months, Cleveland Clinic Brain Health and Wellness can help you maximize your brain health through:
- Cognitive exercises: Train your mind with memorization tools, mind-stretching games, and special activities to engage multiple brain domains to create beauty and meaning in your life.
- Nutrition education: Learn about the differences between real and whole foods versus processed foods and manufactured calories.
- Physical activity: Focus on interval training, balance and posture while simply increasing opportunities to move.
- Relaxation training: Discover how imagery, meditation, and mindfulness all help to improve your stress levels and protect brain function.
Covered by most plans
Shared medical appointments are covered by most insurance plans. Participants are responsible for insurance copays for each appointment and for a one-time charge for program materials. (There is no copay for the physician component of this program for Cleveland Clinic employees.)
Cleveland Clinic Brain Health and Wellness appointments are offered at the Center for Integrative & Lifestyle Medicine, in the serene surroundings of the Wellness Institute on Cleveland Clinic’s Lyndhurst campus.