Research indicates that people prefer clarity and directness when receiving bad news but how to communicate it effectively and with compassion is not inherent. This convenient on-line course is grounded in evidence-based practice, adult learning theory and experiential learning techniques.
Patients tell us that they want honest communication that treats them like adults. They know that bad news is sometimes unavoidable, but they'd rather hear the straight story than have someone try to spin the truth.
Communication that Transforms Healing
Delivering bad news is a reality of the medical field. Although we are not able to change the news we have to give, we can make sure it is delivered as effectively and empathically as possible. This course is designed to teach clinicians what is the desired amount of information patients want when receiving bad news, how they want it delivered, and how to incorporate empathy after the exchange.
As a result of this course, you will be able to:
- Identify the literature that exists on patient preferences concerning bad news
- State how to deliver bad news using the R.E.D.E.® Model of healthcare communication
- Verbalize empathic statements when responding to emotion
Learn from the Leader
In pioneering the R.E.D.E. Model, Cleveland Clinic has emerged as a leader in improving clinician communication. This advance topic eLearning course will identify the common challenges associated with delivering bad news and the benefit of integrating the R.E.D.E. model into the communication. Of particular impact is the sharing of best practices from multiple providers working in areas such as Oncology and Palliative Care, where conveying difficult news occurs regularly.
What is it?
- Designed specifically for clinical providers
- Provide tools you can use in pain management conversations
- Based on the R.E.D.E.® Model — a relationship-centered communication approach that applies validated communication skills to three phases of Relationship: Establishment, Development, and Engagement
- A self-paced online course featuring brief interactive videos
- Conducted at your desktop or laptop via MyLearning
Registration is $249
This activity has been approved for AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM
For more information or to register email: firstname.lastname@example.org