Health Psychology and Multiple Sclerosis
Health Psychology Services at the Mellen Center
The Mellen Center offers a range of psychological services for people with multiple sclerosis. We can help you manage your stress, which is important in controlling your MS. Recent research in Neurology (Mohr et al., 2012) has shown that “stress management techniques may be useful in reducing the development of new MRI brain lesions while patients are in treatment.”
Before you participate in therapy, a psychologist will assess your needs by completing a psychological evaluation. The evaluation takes 1 ½ hours to complete and includes:
- Questionnaires asking about your emotional status and coping skills
- Brief testing of your cognitive (thought) functioning
- Review of the results of your questionnaires and cognitive tests
- Recommendations for psychological services such as individual or group psychotherapy
We utilize a short-term treatment approach and may work on any of the following, depending on your treatment needs:
- Adjustment to disease or change in disease for patient and family
- Family/Couples Therapy
- Mood disorder treatment for patient (Depression and Anxiety focused)
- 4 session Stress Management Protocol
- 4 session Fatigue Management Protocol
- Medication Recommendations
- Needle Phobia
- Pain Management
- Biofeedback for Stress Management
- Sleep Hygiene Techniques to help build better sleep habits
- Personality and IQ testing
- Building relationships
- Improving your quality of life
Sessions last for 45 minutes and are scheduled based on your needs and preferences, with typical duration being every 4-6 weeks for about 4 months.
Biofeedback is a tool that we use to help increase the efficacy of stress management techniques, restoring autonomic nervous system balance and helping to reduce the inflammatory state. Biofeedback occurs in a one-on-one session with a psychologist who has specialized training with the equipment, including: EMG, respiration probe, galvanic skin response and finger temperature measures.
Group psychotherapy provides an opportunity for you to share experiences with others who have similar concerns and issues. Benefits include support, knowledge, coping and personal growth. Groups typically meet on a weekly or bi-weekly basis. We offer groups for the caregiver and for the MS patient.
Billing and insurance coverage
A portion of psychological evaluations and psychotherapy is covered by most insurance plans. Since coverage varies, be sure to check with your insurance company prior to your appointment. The following procedure codes may be useful:
- 90791: Psychological interview
- 90834: Individual psychotherapy
- 90853: Group psychotherapy
For help resolving problems related to your insurance coverage, contact the financial counselor department at 216.445.7372.
Making an appointment
Health psychology appointments can be scheduled through the Mellen Center appointment office by calling 216.444.8600. Additional questions about health psychology services can be directed to Amy Sullivan, Psy.D. , Clinical Health Psychologist, Director of Behavioral Medicine, Mellen Center for Multiple Sclerosis Treatment and Research.
What do you want to do next?
Request an Appointment
216.444.8600 call locally.