Webchat Transcripts - Questions and Answers with a Physician
An arrhythmia (also called dysrhythmia) is an irregular or abnormal heartbeat.There are many different types of cardiac arrhythmias; atrial fibrillation, premature beats, supraventricular tachycardias, ventricular tachycardia, and heart blocks are just a few. Many arrhythmias are benign and do not require any specific treatment. However there are some arrhythmias that need to be controlled with the use of medications, electrical cardioversion, implantable devices such as defibrillators or pacemakers and catheter ablation.
Read transcripts of prior webchats on this topic:
- Heart Arrhythmias in Adults and Children (Drs. Chung and Aziz 08/19/14)
- Heart Arrhythmias and Device Therapy (Drs. Baranowski and Wilkoff 03/21/14)
- Atrial Fibrillation & Other Irregular Heartbeats (Drs. Saliba, Wazni, and Bhargava 12/17/13)
- Arrhythmias and Device Therapy (Drs. Wilkoff and Saliba 08/16/13)
- Ventricular Arrhythmia (Drs. Saliba and Wazni 06/28/13)
- Atrial Fibrillation & Treatment (Walid Saliba, MD, David Van Wagoner, PhD, Edward Soltesz, MD 05/31/13)
- Atrial Fibrillation (Drs. Saliba, Pinski, and Van Wagoner 10/30/12)
- Arrhythmias and Devices (Drs. Borek and Wilkoff 08/27/12)
- Cardiac and Neuro Sarcoidosis (Drs. Culver, Tavee, and Tchou 03/28/12)
- Atrial Fibrillation (Drs. Van Wagoner, Saliba, and Bhargava 03/02/12)
- Atrial Fibrillation (Drs. Van Wagoner and Saliba 10/28/11)
- Arrhythmias and Device Therapy (Drs. Kanj and Wilkoff 08/15/11)
- Atrial Fibrillation (Drs. Lindsay, Van Wagoner, and Gillinov 06/13/11)
- Atrial Fibrillation and Other Abnormal Beats (Dr. Saliba 03/21/11)
Watch video chat
Follow Heart and Vascular Institute webchats and news stories on Twitter. Simply sign up for an account if you don’t have one, and then go to twitter.com/ClevClinicHeart and click the “follow” button.
This information is provided by Cleveland Clinic as a convenience service only and is not intended to replace the medical advice of your doctor or health care provider. Please consult your health care provider for advice about a specific medical condition. Please remember that this information, in the absence of a visit with a health care professional, must be considered as an educational service only and is not designed to replace a physician's independent judgment about the appropriateness or risks of a procedure for a given patient. The views and opinions expressed by an individual in this forum are not necessarily the views of the Cleveland Clinic institution or other Cleveland Clinic physicians.
Talk to a Nurse: Mon. - Fri., 8:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. (ET)
Call a Heart & Vascular Nurse locally 216.445.9288 or toll-free 866.289.6911.
Schedule an Appointment
This information is provided by Cleveland Clinic and is not intended to replace
the medical advice of your doctor or health care provider.
Please consult your health care provider for advice about a specific medical condition.
© Copyright 2014 Cleveland Clinic. All rights reserved.