(NPWT or VAC therapy)
Negative pressure wound therapy is a type of wound care treatment that can be used for wounds on all parts of the body.
Parts of NPWT
- Special foam padding is placed on or within the wound.
- A thin clear occlusive dressing seals over the wound.
- A track pad with suction tubing connects to a canister to collect the fluid drainage.
- A special pump is used to apply negative pressure.
The NPWT system
- Pulls fluid from the wound, decreasing edema.
- Allows the wound to compress down.
- Encourages new healthy tissue growth and blood vessels to form.
Negative Pressure Wound Therapy is one of many options for patients in the treatment of difficult to heal wounds.
Your medical and surgical team will work together with you to heal your current wound and prevent future wounds from occurring.