What is biofeedback?
Biofeedback is an alternative medicine approach that teaches people to change the way their bodies function. It is a mind-body therapy that may improve your physical and mental health.
During a biofeedback session, a practitioner uses monitoring equipment and instruments to measure your body’s functions. Based on feedback from the instruments, the practitioner suggests how you can create physiologic changes. With education and practice, you can learn to make those bodily changes without equipment.
What can biofeedback treat?
People use biofeedback to help relieve many issues, such as:
- Anxiety, depression and post-traumatic stress disorder.
- Attention-deficit disorders.
- Breathing problems, such as asthma.
- Digestive issues, such as irritable bowel syndrome and constipation.
- Pain, including headaches, fibromyalgia, and joint and muscle pain.
Biofeedback also may help people with:
- High blood pressure.
- Substance use disorders, such as alcoholism and drug addiction.