Cardiovascular Disease Prevention and Reversal: The Esselstyn ProgramSmart heart health begins one meal at a time. Discover how a simple and delicious diet-based heart wellness program can keep your heart and arteries healthy for years to come in this innovative program. Created by internationally known author and surgeon Caldwell B. Esselstyn Jr., MD, this evidence-based wellness program prevents and reverses heart disease, the leading cause of death for U.S. men and women. Surprisingly, in other cultures heart disease is virtually absent. Dr. Esselstyn will explain why this is so as his program helps you eliminate this common fatal disease from your life.
What can I expect from the program?After you enroll, you will participate in a six-hour group counseling consultation with Dr. Esselstyn. During this visit, he will:
- Discuss his program in easy-to-understand terms
- Thoroughly answer all questions about how you can prevent and reverse heart disease
- Teach you the principles of a nutritious, plant-based, oil-free diet
In addition, Dr. Esselstyn and his team will share recipes from a diet plan based on 30 years of research on nutrition and heart disease prevention. You’ll learn how to make the delicious, easy-to-prepare cuisine — and enjoy sampling it in a meal.
How will I know I’m making progress?Dr. Esselstyn will help you monitor your progress as needed by email or phone — whichever is most convenient for you. As the months go by, you’ll discover within yourself the motivation to safeguard your health. As a bonus, you’ll find this diet also prevents you from developing or experiencing diabetes, high blood pressure and obesity. In addition, it lessens the likelihood of cancers of the breast, prostate and colon, which are often linked to poor eating habits.
How This Program Works
How well does the program work?
Five of the 24 patients in Dr. Esselstyn’s initial study were told by cardiologists that they had less than a year to live. Yet, 12 years later, following the Esselstyn Program they survived symptom free.
Symptoms diminished (and often disappeared) within eight to 12 weeks of starting the program. Within months, these dramatic changes occurred:
- Cholesterol lowered: Patients’ average total cholesterol levels dropped from 246 mg/dL to 137 mg/dL.
- No cardiac events: Before the study, the patients had 49 cardiac events (coronary bypass surgery, angioplasties, etc.). None of the patients who adhered to the eating plan experienced a cardiac event within 12 years of follow-up.
- Excellent angiograms: Patients’ angiograms showed a widening of the coronary arteries — a reversal of heart disease.
Is the Esselstyn Program covered by insurance?
Insurance does not currently cover this program, it is considered self-pay. The $975 fee covers a patient and a guest. Please ask about our payment plans. For those who choose a payment plan, we ask that you pay by credit card and have future payments automatically charged monthly. Once you have registered, please send in the following for physician review:
- Any outside cardiac medical records
- Your most recent lipid profile