In the Postpartum Care clinic, our team of experts focus on helping women who have complex postpartum conditions. Most women experience a tear during childbirth. However, up to 15% of women may have complex vaginal lacerations, infection or abnormal healing, urinary or bowel control problems, pain, or fistulas. These issues can be embarrassing to discuss and often women feel isolated and overwhelmed. The Postpartum Care Clinic was developed to help women during this very challenging time.
At the initial appointment, you can expect:
- Thorough review of your medical, surgical and obstetric history, with a focus on your recent delivery
- Questions about breastfeeding issues (if applicable)
- Postpartum depression screening
- Evaluation of bowel or bladder problems (if applicable)
- Pain assessment
- Postpartum-sensitive physical exam
- Education on your anatomy and the possible tear you experienced
- An individualized healing plan
The Postpartum Care Clinic also provides:
- Specialists trained in postpartum care. This includes world-renowned urogynecologists who are experts in the management of pelvic muscle, bowel and bladder issues.
- Comprehensive pelvic muscle strengthening program with specialized physical therapists if needed.
- Planning for future deliveries, if applicable
- Education to help you prevent future problems through diet and lifestyle changes
- Specialized testing
- Minor office procedures to help healing
- Surgery if needed
What We Treat
- Advanced or complex vaginal lacerations
- Episiotomy issues
- Urinary leakage
- Bowel leakage, including gas and/or stool
- Other bowel and bladder control issues
- Infection and abnormal healing
- Painful intercourse
- Vaginal or vulvar pain
Katie Propst, MD
Tonya Nicole Thomas, MD
Abigail Anderson, CNP
Bridget Valent, RN
The Postpartum Care Clinic specializes in helping women who have complex postpartum conditions so that healthy healing can be achieved.
The resources here are intended for patients needing further information about their condition.
Obstetric Perineal Lacerations
Appointments & Locations
For more information or to make an appointment with our Postpartum Care Clinic, please call 216.445.5027.
320 W. Exchange St.
Akron, OH 44302
Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
Crile Building, Desk A-8
9500 Euclid Avenue
Cleveland, OH 44195
18101 Lorain Avenue
Cleveland, OH 44111
6780 Mayfield Rd.
Mayfield Heights, OH 44124