Our Nursing Philosophy
Our patient care is built on human connections. As a nurse, you’ll work with patients, families and other caregivers. That means continually assessing, planning, implementing and evaluating care utilizing evidence-based practice as well as sound clinical judgment. We empower our caregivers with guiding principles, a solid framework, and a voice to collaborate in patient care.
Cleveland Clinic Professional Practice Model
The Zielony Institute Professional Practice model is a framework to align and integrate nursing practice with our mission, vision and values. It is based on Virginia Henderson’s Nursing Need Theory:
“The unique function of the nurse is to assist the individual, sick or well, in the performance of those activities contributing to health or its recovery (or to peaceful death) that he would perform unaided if he had the necessary strength, will or knowledge.”
Nursing Guiding Principles
- Ensure patient safety and quality care.
- Provide consistent, evidence-based nursing practices based on the nursing process, critical thinking and role optimization.
- Foster a healing environment that is patient- and family-centered environment.
- Expect professionals to be competent, accountable and ethical.
- Leverage technology to support nursing practice and increase time with patients.
- Maintain regulatory and practice compliance.
- Support life-long learning and teaching.
We believe in giving a voice to all of our caregivers — especially our talented nurses. Our work is built on a shared governance model that gives everyone a say in delivering exceptional care. This model emphasizes:
- Equality: Shared focus on patients, services and staff; all essential to providing safe and effective care.
- Empowerment: Authority and autonomy to make decisions about nursing practice.
- Accountability: Responsibility and willingness to invest in ethical practices through shared decision-making.
- Partnership: Collaboration and teamwork among caregivers, patients and families.
We support you in pursuing a variety of professional certifications. That includes certification discounts for over 26 specialties. Learn more about the professional development we offer Cleveland Clinic nurses.
Your Career Path
Throughout your career, we’re with you every step of the way as you learn, grow and advance as a nurse. Below, take a look at what to expect during your year-long residency.