The purpose of the Wound & Ostomy Symposium is to provide state-of-the-art educational lectures with creative learning activities to assist nurses’ overcome challenges in the care of patients with wounds and ostomies. As the field of wound and ostomy care expands and becomes increasingly demanding and more complicated, it is imperative that nurses stay current on the latest treatments in care. There are opportunities to improve the knowledge and skills when treating patients with pressure injuries, wounds and ostomies. More importantly, is the need for nurses to become versed in wound and ostomy knowledge to improve patient outcomes.
At the conclusion of the live activity participants will be able to:
- Describe the impact of societal demographics and chronic illness prevalence on pressure injury prevention.
- Explain notable risk factors for pressure injury.
- Describe evidence-based interventions for pressure injury prevention.
- Synthesize learning outcomes with creative learning activity
- Describe two application techniques to minimize potential for air leak while applying complex NPWT dressings
- Discuss strategies to improve patient outcomes upon discharge from acute care
- Discuss strategies to improve patient outcomes upon discharge from home care
- Review acute and chronic wound pathophysiology
- Discuss the complexities of bioburden and proteases in the chronic wound
- Wound bed preparation with the use of Collagen extracellular matrix dressing (CECM) and Gentian Violet/Methylene Blue foam dressings
- Review of clinical cases
- Apply knowledge by playing wound and ostomy jeopardy game
September 7, 2019
7:30 a.m. - 3:45 p.m.
Cleveland Clinic Florida
David G. Jagelman Conference Center
2950 Cleveland Clinic Boulevard
Weston, Florida 33331
Faculty, Agenda & Accreditation
- Janice Beitz, PhD, RN, CS, CNOR, CWOCN-AP, CRNP, APNC, ANEF, FAAN
- Amparo Cano, MSN, RN, CWOCN
- Anita Prinz, RN, MSN, CWOCN
- Ron Rock, MSN, APRN, ACNS-BC
- Gisele Valentine RN, BSN, CWS
|7:30 a.m. - 8 a.m.||Registration
|8 a.m. - 8:30 a.m.||Welcome and Introductions
|8:30 a.m. - 9:30 a.m.||Keep Calm and Adjust Your Tiara: Pressure Injury Prevention Update
Janice Beitz, PhD, RN, CS, CNOR, CWOCN-AP, CRNP, APNC, ANEF, FAAN
|9:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.||Management of Complex Wounds with Negative Pressure Wound Therapy
Ron Rock, MSN, APRN, ACNS-BC
|10:30 a.m. - 10:45 a.m.||Break|
|10:45 a.m. - 11:45 a.m.||Discharge Planning for the New Ostomate: How to improve patient outcomes
Anita Prinz, RN, MSN, CWOCN
|11:45 a.m. - 1:15 p.m.||Lunch with Exhibitors|
|1:15 p.m. - 2:15 p.m.||Managing Bacteria Burden and Proteases in Wounds
Gisele Valentine RN, BSN, CWS
|2:15 p.m. - 3:15 p.m.||
Wound & Ostomy Jeopardy
Amparo Cano, MSN, RN, CWOCN
|3:15 p.m. - 3:45 p.m.||Closing Remarks|
Cleveland Clinic Florida is accredited by the Florida Board of Nursing and by the Florida Board of Respiratory Care. Approved by the Florida Board of Nursing, Provider #50-392 NCE Provider # 2334 for 5.0 Continuing Education Contact Hours
Cleveland Clinic Enterprise is accredited with distinction as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation. ANCC Approval pending.
Attendees must stay for the entire program. Partial continuing education credit will not be given.
The following items must be completed to receive credit:
- Complete Course Evaluation Online
- Obtain Course Completion Certificate from Registration Website
All other Allied Health Professionals
- Course Evaluation at the end of session
- Obtain Course Completion Certificate
- Registration can be refunded before August 23, 2019
- Cancellations date stamped after September 1, 2019 will have a $25.00 (USD) cancellation fee deducted from your refund. Written notification of your cancellation is required in order to process your refund.
- There will be registration available the day of the conference
- For any questions, please contact Sandee McDonald, MPA at [email protected]
- Cleveland Clinic Caregivers - Register Here!
- All Other Attendees - Register Here!
|Cleveland Clinic Caregivers||$35|
|Non-Cleveland Clinic Caregivers||$75|
Exhibitors & Vendors
We are offering vendor participation for this event. Each vendor will receive a table to exhibit, two chairs and will receive lunch with the program attendees. Exhibits will be available to attendees before the program, during both breaks and during the lunch.
If you wish to reserve a vendor table, please remit a check payable in the amount of $600 to:
Janet V. Byanille, Senior Accountant
Cleveland Clinic Weston Krupa Center
2950 Cleveland Clinic Boulevard
Weston, FL 33331
For Credit Card Payments:
Please call Janet V. Byanille at 954.659.6196
*Reference “SYMPF19W132” on check
TAX ID #: 65-0003177
Call Amparo Cano, MSN, RN, CWOCN at 954.659.1295 or 954.604.0403
Email: [email protected]