The purpose of the Wound & Ostomy Symposium is to provide up-to-date didactic lectures with hands-on practice to help nurses’ overcome challenges in the care of patients with wounds and ostomies. As the field of wound and ostomy care advances, it is imperative that nurses stay current on the latest wound and ostomy care specialty treatments and preventative practices. There are opportunities to improve the knowledge and skills when treating patients with pressure injuries, wounds and ostomies. More importantly, is the need for nurses to perform hands-on practice to help raise the quality of care and improve patient care outcomes.
- Define pressure injury and characteristics of each stage
- Differentiate pressure injuries from other types of wounds
- Identify essential components of pressure injury documentation
- Understand when the construction of a stoma is indicated
- Identify types of stomas
- Identify the role of the stoma nurse in patients’ care.
- Describe the steps for a basic ostomy pouch change
- Identify the ways that a stoma has an impact on a patient’s daily life
- Describe the process of adaptation to loss and differences between adapting to a temporary versus a permanent stoma
- List methods that can be used by the nurse to assist the patient with adjustment
- Demonstrate basic documentation of wounds
- Identify the major types of wounds
- Identify basic work up for major type of wounds
- Describe basic management of major types of wounds.
- Apply NPWT dressing correctly
- Demonstrate the application of an ostomy pouch correctly
- Demonstrate proper application of the Silicone Border Foam to the sacral area and to pack a wound with wet to moist gauze
- Measure the length, width and depth of wounds
- Measure the width of the wound at the widest aspect
- Identify and document exudate, base, edges, undermining, tunnels
- Identify Pressure Injury by stage
September 29, 2018
6:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Cleveland Clinic Florida
David G. Jagelman Conference Center
2950 Cleveland Clinic Boulevard
Weston, Florida 33331
Faculty, Agenda & Accreditation
- Rhonda Sullivan, DNP, PhD, MSN, MBA, CWON, LNCC
- Giovanna Da Silva, MD
- Mary Lou Boyer, BSEd, RN, CWOCN
- Juan Bravo, MD, CWPS, UHM
- Argelia Welber, BSN, RN, CWCN, CFCN
- Amparo Cano, MSN, RN, CWOCN
- Glicerio Moura-Tebbe, MA, BSN, RN, CWON
- Carlos Miranda, MSN, RN, CWOCN
- Christi Izquierdo, BSN, RN
- Michelle Harris-Farrell, BSN, RN
- Franchette Etienne, LPN, WCC
|6:30 a.m. - 7:45 a.m.||Registration
|7:45 a.m. - 8 a.m.||Welcome and Introductions
Andrew Sine, MSN, RN
|8 a.m. - 9 a.m.||Principles of Pressure Injury Staging
Rhonda Sullivan, DNP, PhD, MSN, MBA, CWON, LNCC
|9 a.m. - 10 a.m.||Postoperative Nursing Care Expectations after Ostomy Surgery
Giovanna Da Silva, MD
|10 a.m. - 10:15 a.m.||Break with Exhibitors|
|10:15 a.m. - 11:15 a.m.||Taking Care of Ostomies &Helping Patients Adapt to Living with a Stoma
Mary Lou Boyer, BSEd, RN, CWOCN
|11:15 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.||Demystifying Wound Assessment, Documentation and Treatment of Chronic Wounds
Juan Bravo, MD, CWPS, UHM
|12:15 p.m. - 1 p.m.||Lunch with Exhibitors|
|1 p.m. - 3 p.m.||Simulation Sessions: Grow Your Practice Skills:
|3 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.||Closing Remarks & Simulation Session
Winners are those who scored highest on accuracy and time
Cleveland Clinic Florida is accredited by the Florida Board of Nursing and by the Florida Board of Respiratory Care. Approved by the Florida Board of Nursing, Provider #50-392 NCE Provider # 2334 for 6.0 Continuing Education Contact Hours.
Cleveland Clinic Enterprise is accredited with distinction as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation. ANCC Approval pending.
Attendees must stay for the entire program. Partial continuing education credit will not be given.
The following items must be completed to receive credit:
- Complete Course Evaluation Online
- Obtain Course Completion Certificate from Registration Website
All other Allied Health Professionals
- Course Evaluation at the end of session
- Obtain Course Completion Certificate
- Registration can be refunded before September 21, 2018
- Cancellations postmarked after September 21, 2018 will have a $25.00 (USD) cancellation fee deducted from your refund. Written notification of your cancellation is required in order to process your refund.
- There will be registration available the day of the conference
- For any questions, please contact Sandee McDonald, BHSA at email@example.com
- Register Now!
|Cleveland Clinic Caregivers||$35|
|Non-Cleveland Clinic Caregivers||$75|
Exhibitors & Vendors
We are offering vendor participation for this event. Each vendor will receive a table to exhibit, two chairs and will receive lunch with the program attendees. Exhibits will be available to attendees before the program, during both breaks and during the lunch.
If you wish to reserve a vendor table, please remit a check payable in the amount of $600 to:
Janet V. Byanille, Senior Accountant
2950 Cleveland Clinic Boulevard
Weston, FL 33331
*Reference “SYMPF18W132” on check
TAX ID #: 65-0003177