Cleveland Clinic’s Minority Stroke Program is focused on preventing and treating stroke in racial and ethnic minorities.
Stroke rates and risk factors tend to be higher in minority populations. Consider the following facts:
- Deaths from stroke are twice as high in African-Americans as in the rest of the U.S. population.
- Rates of stroke at younger ages are higher in Latinos than in the rest of the U.S. population.
- One-third of African-Americans have high blood pressure (the top risk factor for stroke), and their rates of blood pressure control are lower than in the general population.
- Nearly one-third of Latinos suffer from diabetes, another major stroke risk factor.
The Minority Stroke Program’s goal is to increase stroke awareness among minority groups in order to lower stroke rates and improve stroke outcomes.
The Minority Stroke Program’s physicians and advanced practice providers can help you prevent a stroke by evaluating your stroke risk and helping you manage risk factors for stroke, including:
- Excess weight and obesity
- Heart disease
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- High cholesterol and triglycerides
- Peripheral vascular disease
- Physical inactivity
- Tobacco use
Helping After a Stroke
The Minority Stroke Program team also helps individuals who have suffered a stroke in their recovery by addressing potential causes of the stroke and monitoring for health changes that could lead to another stroke.
The Minority Stroke Program team also provides:
- Referrals to other medical providers who manage diabetes, heart disease, hypertension, and vascular disease or who can help with weight loss, physical fitness and smoking cessation
- Information on transportation assistance for in-person appointments
- Follow-up visits through MyClevelandClinic virtual visit platform
- Online coaching and education through the MyClevelandClinic virtual visit platform
- Prescription assistance
- Stroke support groups
- Community education events
To schedule an appointment with the Minority Stroke Program team, call 216.636.5860.